Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stellnme, Grumpy is on Holistic Select Anchovy and Salmon. He gets Woolies Home Brand Tuna or Sardines. He was on Royal Canin Blue Whiting veterinary diet but they discontinued it. The vet and I went through all the foods and look at their fat content and the Wellness fish one and the Holistic Select had the lowest fat at 12%. Tried him on Wellness but his poo was horrible. No problems on the Holistic Select. The only time Grumpy gets chicken is for his tablets, so he gets 1and a half slices of shaved fat free chicken a day. It's too fatty for him, even just poached. The fish is best for him but I add a little crushed chicken liver treats on top of his breakfast and the low fat diet allows him to have a few treats.

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing all dementing old dogs and their owners a peaceful and happy 2013.

Mac continues to do well. Thanks Bianca, the cholodin is really helping.

The next challenge we face here will be a major disruption as the house comes down (literally) to make way for a new maintenance free (relatively!) house and provision for retirement (hopefully before I'm 80)! So demolition is tentatively scheduled for 7 February - but we'll see. So we are all, three westies included, moving into a dear friends house who works interstate to house-sit during the build. Very kind of him to let me take over his house with three dogs while he is away.

I hope this will be an easy move for Mac. Hes been in this house for just shy of seven years. He seems to cope fine with change as long as I'm around. So I'll schedule our first night there for a Friday night - say 11 January. . Then once I've moved me and the westies then I can concentrate on packing up the rest of the house.

Tips from anyone else who has moved house temporarily with multiple dogs? :) Or anyone with general house moving tips ? I'm taking as little as possible to the house sit - just enough for us all to be comfortable.

TIA. :)

I am so glad it is helping :)

I moved recently (different states) with the dogs and 2 elderly cats. We stayed in a one room cabin for about 2-3 months while we bought. Definitely take things (dog beds etc) that the dogs recognise as theirs. And perhaps try keeping Mac in just a couple of rooms for a few days until he is familiar with his surroundings. Also you could try leaving a light on at night for him. Good luck.

That must have been hard getting the lights, Sheridan. Always so many reminders when they go, unfortunately.

Just wanted you to know that the Holistic Select food that you told me about has been a hit with my Stella. Maybe it is the stronger smell but she seems to enjoy it more and is doing very well on it. I am sure she is moving into the old dog stage, but all okay at the moment.

Guess what arrived in the mail today, westiemum?

You're kidding!!! Almost three weeks from Adelaide to Canberra must be some sort of record. Was it opened???

I hope the fact that I addressed it to the gorgeous old man didn't distress you too much S. :(