Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

When I realised Grumpy's eyesight was getting worse I bought a bunch of sensor lights from Bunnings to light his way around the house at night. They attach to the wall via a magnet.

Thats a really good idea S. Might get some for Mac for the new house. He seems to be night wandering a bit at the moment.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad it is helping :)

I moved recently (different states) with the dogs and 2 elderly cats. We stayed in a one room cabin for about 2-3 months while we bought. Definitely take things (dog beds etc) that the dogs recognise as theirs. And perhaps try keeping Mac in just a couple of rooms for a few days until he is familiar with his surroundings. Also you could try leaving a light on at night for him. Good luck.

Thanks Bianca - keeping him in a couple of rooms to start with is a good idea too. Thanks. :)

Is it OK if I join this thread? My gorgeous Maisie is not doing very well and I think she has doggy dementia. :( For the last 6 months or more she has been 'off'. She has become increasingly naughty and destructive and often seems to be on another planet. I started her on vivitonin and it seemed to help for a while, but now she is worse again. I have ordered some Hills B/D but I guess I just wanted to chat with people who are going through the same thing. Maisie is a Kelpie x BC and she is only 11.5yrs old - she seems too young to be going through this. My only comfort is that she seems happy in her own little world.

Kirty you're very welcome :) Im sorry to hear about Maisie. Unfortunately she's not too young. I can't remember where I read it, but over 60% of dogs over 10 show an early symptom of canine dementia. Like us they are living longer which is good, but its also predisposing them to diseases of aging - just like us. :(

I think the best thing to do is grab yourself a coffee and a comfy seat and read this thread from the beginning. There has been heaps of good discussion - hopefully something will jump out at you, given there is relatively little around to help these dogs. :(

With my Mac, its been a process of trial and error. His routine is Hills B/D (1/4 cup x 2/day) in a herbal tea base (sprinkle of Herb Robert, which has highly anti-oxidant properties in about 1/4 cup of hot water - cooled). He also has 1/2 a Vivitonin and half a cholodin in the morning and 1/2 a Vivitonin at night. I also work really hard at keeping him really well hydrated and well stimulated with walks and visits outside home. I use belly bands for his occasional very mild incontinence.

So I think its really a case of trying and seeing what works for your girl. My vet and I genuinely don't know what about his routine seems to work - maybe I've just hit on a good combination for Mac, I really don't know - but the latest addition of the cholodin really seems to have helped. So that might be a good place to start if the Vivitonin isn't working for you.

Hope that helps. :)

ETA: It would be worthwhile to get in touch with deerhoundlover here on DOL. She has been studying canine dementia and has a good self-administered test on her website which will really help you define what you are dealing with.

Edited by westiemum

Sorry to hear about Maisie, Kirty. I did notice that in Grumpy's last few months the Vivitonin didn't have as much of an effect. I had Grumpy on B/D for a while, which seemed to have an effect, but had to take him off it because of the pancreatic effect on his Cushing's disease. He never took to the Herb Robert. I was going to try him on Cholodin but had to pts just before Christmas because he was no longer coping by himself.

Was Maisie a bit destructive and naughty when she was younger? I found the effects of the dementia seemed to amplify young behaviours. Grumpy was a very dominant and independent dog when he was young so he turned into a grumpy old man in the 'I can do it myself!' vein.

Sorry to hear about Maisie, Kirty. I did notice that in Grumpy's last few months the Vivitonin didn't have as much of an effect. I had Grumpy on B/D for a while, which seemed to have an effect, but had to take him off it because of the pancreatic effect on his Cushing's disease. He never took to the Herb Robert. I was going to try him on Cholodin but had to pts just before Christmas because he was no longer coping by himself.

Was Maisie a bit destructive and naughty when she was younger? I found the effects of the dementia seemed to amplify young behaviours. Grumpy was a very dominant and independent dog when he was young so he turned into a grumpy old man in the 'I can do it myself!' vein.

yep I agree Sheridan. I've noticed Mac seems to have bouts of more 'puppy-like behaviour', which while endearing, I know is part of his dementia.

Thanks both of you. I'm finding it a bit hard to deal with really. :( Yes Maisie was very destructive and naughty when she was younger.

I was reading about the cholodin and wondering if a pure choline supplement would do the same thing? I'm also going to start her on some omega 3 and will keep going with the vivitonin.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks both of you. I'm finding it a bit hard to deal with really. :( Yes Maisie was very destructive and naughty when she was younger.

I was reading about the cholodin and wondering if a pure choline supplement would do the same thing? I'm also going to start her on some omega 3 and will keep going with the vivitonin.

How are you going Kirty?

Edited by westiemum

Not great unfortunately. :( She seems to be deteriorating further. Still waiting for the B/D (can't believe how long it takes to get in!) but the vivitonin doesn't seem to be doing much anymore. :(

Can you tell us whats getting worse???

As to the B/D, it hasn't been available since before Christmas - so I cancelled my order - at least for the moment.

I've just made an enquiry about some Chinese Herbs that dogmad recommended in another thread - when I hear back from them I'll post the info.

Her destructive behaviour is worse (the other night she forced open the baby gate on our bedroom door and went through the rubbish bin!?) and often she just seems like she's not all there. :(

Kirty its hard to know what to suggest except to say that I think you just need to try something different. Unfortunately its trial and error as there's no magic bullet. Overall its choices between nutrition (eg the B/D), herbs (Herb Robert or Chinese herbs), prescription drugs (Vivitonin and a couple of others) and nutraceuticals such as cholidin and aktivait (which you can't get here and is well nigh impossible to get into the country - I know - I tried frown.gif). I also place a lot of importance on a predominantly raw diet, really good hydration, TLC and lots of mental stimulation for Mac.

If the Vivitonin isn't working then I suggest you go back to your vet and ask to try one of the other drugs. Then come up with a routine at home that you are comfortable with which is a combination of the possibilities above. Yes its hard work some days - but its worth it. Mac continues to do well on his routine.

Hope that helps.

Edited by westiemum

Vivitonin wasn't really working for Grumpy at the end and because the dosage is weight based, he couldn't really have more. I was going to try Cholodin but he just wasn't coping by himself anymore. :(

And he couldn't have B/D cos it was too fatty for him.

Edited by Sheridan

• 4 weeks later...

A bit off topic Westiemum but what did your vet prescribe for your Mac's urinary incontinence problem? (before you put him on pads)

My Mac drips bits of wee out, sometimes during the day and also his bed has a small amount of wee on it...enough that I have to wash the blanket that goes on his little mattress, I also have to wash him underneath every day or two, he leaks on his skirt and smells to high heaven.

I took him to the vet today, the urine sample was ok, she gave me some Propalin syrup for him, she told me that there didn't seem to be any specific treatment for dog urinary incontinence (only bitches) but she has had fairly good results with Propalin in dogs.

Hopefully it'll help as he looks terrible with his yellowy/orange skirt and leg hairs and also his stinkin' 'man perfume"

A bit off topic Westiemum but what did your vet prescribe for your Mac's urinary incontinence problem? (before you put him on pads)

My Mac drips bits of wee out, sometimes during the day and also his bed has a small amount of wee on it...enough that I have to wash the blanket that goes on his little mattress, I also have to wash him underneath every day or two, he leaks on his skirt and smells to high heaven.

I took him to the vet today, the urine sample was ok, she gave me some Propalin syrup for him, she told me that there didn't seem to be any specific treatment for dog urinary incontinence (only bitches) but she has had fairly good results with Propalin in dogs.

Hopefully it'll help as he looks terrible with his yellowy/orange skirt and leg hairs and also his stinkin' 'man perfume"

B he prescribed Stilboestrol for Mac. And it seems to be working well. I used belly bands until he was going through them like a newborn then i needed to start him on the medication..

He too was intermittently really wet but he never smelled. That would suggest infection to me. Are you sure he doesn't have a UTI? confused.gif

B he prescribed Stilboestrol for Mac. And it seems to be working well. I used belly bands until he was going through them like a newborn then i needed to start him on the medication..

He too was intermittently really wet but he never smelled. That would suggest infection to me. Are you sure he doesn't have a UTI? confused.gif

the last time I took him to the vet she put him on AB's and it made no difference. I have had him on the Propalin since Monday evening and he was dry underneath yesterday afternoon and again this morning, I would have thought it'd take longer than 2-->3 doses to see if it is working. The vet also put him on a course of AB's as he has a slight infection between two toes on each of his front paws, if it is/was a UTI I don't think the AB's would have worked so quickly.

It has me stumped!

My Mac's smell could be from the vege slops that I add to his turkey-neck-mince, it has fish oil added into it...either way it is was pretty urine-smelly, his bed smelt of babies wet nappy left on way too long

Edited by Boronia