Dog Odours Removal

I came across this website today when searching "removing dog odours".

It is a QLD based company, and may be of interest to DOL'ers in QLD.

I have purchased Odour Go previously when there was a thread about it here. However it is $56.50 for 5L delivered to Brisbane.

Have emailed the company to ask if they make a product suitable for using in a washing machine when washing dog bedding.

http://smellgone.com.au/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=126

Edited by Hesapandabear

Here is the reply to my email re washing dog bedding.

In terms of using the Odour Control Spray in the washing machine, this will work, provided you give it some working time before actually doing the wash. The most effective way is to spray the items before washing, you can dampen them thoroughly, you don’t have to soak them through but spray them heavier than if you were treating them at other times. Adding the concentrate direct to the wash won’t achieve very much as the good bacteria which do the work, need to be dispersed over the items surface and then given some time to ‘eat up’ the smell/residues.

For the outside bedding you can use the same approach. If you have inner liners to your futons etc you might want to consider adding Odour Control Powder inside the lining, this has a long term odour controlling effect, provided the bedding doesn’t get wet as then it gets a bit messy.

So pre-spray before the wash as you would do for a stain treatment, wait 1-2 hours, then wash as normal. If you use a coldwater wash you will get some residual benefit from the spray, hot water will kill off the activity. After drying the items, re-spray them again, but this time just lightly dampen them and allow to dry. This will act as a preventative treatment as the good bacteria will have a chance to get established ready for the smells/residues

Don't think so :happydance2: "Smellgone Odour Control Concentrate, 500 ml bottle, will make up to 50 litres of odour control" for $23.10 plus postage, has to be cheaper than $56.50 for 5L ;)

Will post reply re the email when received.

Thanks, I didn't read that it made up that much. Although doesn't the other one make up around the equivelant??

Let me know how you go with it as I need to find a supplier of a decent odour control/cleaner also.

It may make up to approx the same quantity, however $56.50 is a lot compared to $26.10 plus postage on a 500ml bottle.

Exit odour make x2 products, a disinfectant and a Laundry Additive which is $87.00 for 5L, plus nearly $17.00 for postage to us.

As an aside, NO I haven't tried the product yet, so NO I am not in anyway connected with the Co, but in anyones terms if the product is good around $25.00 difference in a price makes sense to me.

Have received a prompt reply to my email will explicit information and will hopefully be purchasing the product on Thursday as the company are 1/2 drive from here. :(

Can you please post feedback on the product after you've used it?

I bought 5L of Odourgo and to be honest, it's not that fabulous. I was trying to remove cat pee odour from a couch and despite washing the covers and liberal doses of Odourgo on both the covers and the foam insert, I can still smell it when I lay down on the couch. I don't want to smell it, I want it gone altogether. As fas as I'm concerned, a faint smell is just as bad as a strong smell.

Will post feedback. Have a Snooza Futon and x2 outdoor pillows which have had urine on the them, so they will be tested first. Although Dog Urine doesn't tend to be quite as bad as Cat.

Also have a couple of cattle skins which have had puppy pees on them, so will be interesting to see if we can eliminate odour from them. :(

PS Hope to meet with the owner of the Co, and will glean whatever I can from him.

Edited by Hesapandabear

I bought 5L of Odourgo and to be honest, it's not that fabulous. I was trying to remove cat pee odour from a couch and despite washing the covers and liberal doses of Odourgo on both the covers and the foam insert, I can still smell it when I lay down on the couch. I don't want to smell it, I want it gone altogether. As fas as I'm concerned, a faint smell is just as bad as a strong smell.

The only thing that will work with cat urine is a product that works on the enzymes. None of these will remove the cat urine odour I am willing to bet. They are more aimed at 'general' pet odours and maybe dog urine. Cat urnine is a whole other subject.

I use Exit Odour for the washing machine. It is fantastic!!!! (I love their hard surface spray too - you only need a tiny bit in a bucket or spray bottle)

http://www.catonam.com.au/p_odour.php

I dont know what postage to Qld would be, but do know that it is much more cost effective to buy the 5L container than the 1L one

ps stockist list here http://www.catonam.com.au/products/eostockists.pdf

Seems like it is available from show vans in northern NSW, which may be OK for brissy exhibitors.

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

BMP, that's great to know. But as I have posted Exit Odour's Laundry Additive is $87.00 for 5L PLUS postage of just under $17.00 to where I live. There are NO stockists in QLD.

This is why I am keen to try Smellgone's products.

Anne, I will have a chat to the owner of Smellgone re Cat Urine when I meet him on Thursday. I had an old Birman who used to pee on our leather furniture, so can appreciate where you are coming from. :(

The only thing that will work with cat urine is a product that works on the enzymes. None of these will remove the cat urine odour I am willing to bet. They are more aimed at 'general' pet odours and maybe dog urine. Cat urnine is a whole other subject.

Odourgo is supposed to remove the smell, the source of the smell, not just cover it up. See here and tell me I'm not reading this wrong:

http://www.odourgo.com.au/applications_petodour.html

Odourgo is supposed to remove the smell, the source of the smell, not just cover it up. See here and tell me I'm not reading this wrong:

http://www.odourgo.com.au/applications_petodour.html

you are right it is supposed to remove the odour not cover it up. shame it doesn't work. maybe let them know and see what they say?

eta here is how it works: (from their web site) Ozona products bond with the odour molecule and destroy the odour-causing compound.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Yes, I understand that the claim is that it removes the source of the smell, but with cat urine, it will only work if it is an enzyme based product. The claims do not mention anything about enzymes. :laugh:

Here, I know this is not an article writtne from a 'scientific' bent, but it explains the particular issue with cat urine. I have read numerous articles over the years about the particular quality of cat urine and why it is so hard to rid your house of the odour. Dog urine is not the same and the smell can be removed far more easily.

http://www.cat-urine.net/

I have met with the owner of Smellgone today and have bought a couple of products which I will be using over the next week. These products have a slight citrus "aroma".

I spoke to him in some detail re the smell of cat urine. He advises (as per the website) that his products contain live bacteria which fight the odours caused by both dogs and cats.

He recommends the use of Odour Control Concentrate, as a mist spray, in areas where a cat may have sprayed, and the powder in litter boxes.

He advises that he has many cat breeders who use these two prodcuts with success.

Should anyone have any further questions re the use of the products in getting rid of cat urine smells he is happy to correspond by email.

• 4 weeks later...