Dog Has A Black Eye?

Danielle

Well the big doofus is off to the vet tmrw for the fist time (asides from vaccs).

On saturday he was running thru the house and as he went thru the backdoor he clipped the doorframe with his head in all his excitement. I saw it happen and head a loud thunk when he did it. He stopped and shook his head, I went over and checked him, he seemed fine and I told him not to be so silly.

Well yesterday I was grooming him and noticed his left eye was hugely swollen, half closed swollen. I checked the eye itself and it's fine, its just really swollen on his eyelid. I've checked him again this morning and he is still a bit swollen, a little better but not as good as I had hoped. If he is still swollen tmrw I'll take him off for a visit to the vet and get it seen to.

I figure it's from whacking the doorframe on Saturday. Kinda like a black eye if u know what I mean. But ill get it looked at anyways, just to be sure he's ok. He does not seem to be in any pain or discomfort from it, he's still hooning thru the house and yard like his normal self and does not complain when I look at it or touch it. I just wish he would be more careful and stop barging thru everything, he gets too excited this dog. You would think that at 18 months old a standard poodle would have at least half a brain....but I think we may be lacking somewhat in that dept, bloody silly bugger.

Who ever thought a dog could get a black eye!? I'll be sure to update on what the vet says if we do end up going. :laugh:

yup my bordeaux had a black eye once, half his head was swollen on that side. Someone had broken in to the backyard for the second time and belted him over the head with a piece of timber. Turned out it had grazed his eyeball and one vet wanted to remove his eye totally, I said no and got a second opinion. Second vet did steroids and antibiotics as well as an eye patch, he now has a permanent cloudy patch over part of his eye although he has vision in it. I would get a vet to make sure he hasnt grazed the eyeball too by the time the swelling goes down could be on its way to scarring the eyeball.

No black eye, but Ziggy got a bleeding nose once. Collided with another dog and all of a sudden there was blood dripping everywhere without an injury. I rang the vet and she said it's quite common and so long as it stops on its own there was nothing to worry about.

These dogs are doofuses.

Edited by Mollie10

Quick update!

Just returned home from shopping and Mr Goofy's eye has gone down dramatically, you can barely even see any swelling now. I'll still take him to the vet tmrw anyways just to be sure everything is ok. I did that little test where you move your hand towards the eye and he reacted to it so I'm pretty sure he is ok. Not looking forward to explaining this to my vet tmrw, lol.

My god he is dumb but I love him sooo much! He's a real Fabio, very pretty to look at but not much going on upstairs! Lol!

:rofl: of course they can get black eyes/blood noses/bruises/grazes... they miscalculate distances/speed etc just like any other animal :eek: He will have learned from it,though.

Erm....

:rofl:

But given Ziggy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, I won't hold my breath. I honestly didn't know dogs could get bleeding noses. I'd never really had cause to think about it before.