Panting And Coughing After Exercise

Paula-

One of my ex-fosters is at the vet today.

After a busy day he went for a dash around the house and came back panting, coughing and distressed. This settled a bit but he was still uncomfortable, so is being checked out. His owner said he sometimes coughs after exercise.

When we had him, he would run around like a lunatic at home and at the dog club - no signs of anything than a happy, worn out dog. No coughing, just the usual panting and then fine.

He's on heartworm prevention.. doesn't sound like KC...

I have no idea :thumbsup:

Hope he's OK!

He's heartworm neg and on treatment..

Apparently they checked his heart (I'm getting updates) and it sounded fine, and did a few other things that suggest it's not his heart.. now thinking maybe something in his airway..

:thumbsup:

Oh I know that! :thumbsup: By the time I got home from a walk yesterday I had two greyhounds leaning on me... "pleeease carry us!" ... nuh-uh!

Dali had an obedience class, followed by a snooze for most of the day, then fetched his bunny a few times, then a zoomie around the house..

It sounds like he is distressed at something in his throat...? Otherwise is acting normally.

ps. I know it's almost impossible to identify what it could be, I'm just worrying :mad

Edited by paula_canberra

If test last year was negative (was it the antibody test?) then unless you had a false negative (possible but not probable). It would be unlikely he has heartworm now. Plus he's had preventatives since. I wouldn't get too worried about heartworm.

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies :)

From the examination yesterday it appears that Dali has some permanent damage to his throat - possibly from being tethered, or yanked when being walked? (sometime in the past). He also has a slight inflammation which has exacerbated the previous injury.

So it sounds like he'll be fine, just not allowed to overdo it.

Which, for a grey, won't be a hard regime to enforce :D

Thanks

:thumbsup:

First Dante's tootsies, and now Dali's throat!

It sounds like all will be well if the inflammation is kept in check.

I hesitate to bring this up ... could this have anything to do with eating *ahem* someone's underwear??? I seriously doubt it. Unless he eats bras as well! Those clasps and underwires would surely scratch on the way down ... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies :rofl:

From the examination yesterday it appears that Dali has some permanent damage to his throat - possibly from being tethered, or yanked when being walked? (sometime in the past). He also has a slight inflammation which has exacerbated the previous injury.

So it sounds like he'll be fine, just not allowed to overdo it.

Which, for a grey, won't be a hard regime to enforce :laugh:

Thanks

:laugh:

It's strange that you didn't notice anything when you had him, that this problem has only arisen now?

Hope all goes well, it is common for greyhounds to have throat problems, nothing tragic of course, only really an issue when they are racing...

Mel