Short Coated Border Collies

MsKatie

Hi -I was talking to someone today who said they want a BC x Kelpie pup because they don't want the fluffy coat of the BC. I suggested a short coat BC and she wasn't even aware they came in short coat - I suggested they were more prevalent in working line BCs and also said that they would be better with a lower drive dog. They want to meet the parents and want a pup ( I did suggest there were a number of nice BC / Kelpie types in rescue)

They are in SA - any suggestions for people to talk to - breeders?

You certainly can get smooth coated/short coated BCs as well as medium rough coats. The problem you will find is that yes they are only likely to be found in working lines and I am not sure I'd consider a lot of working lines - "low drive". Obviously they are being bred for working ability if they are breeding for anything (well at least if they are not a backyard breeder) and therefore the chances are the dogs will be dogs with reasonable amounts of energy (after all they are breeding working sheepdogs/border collies to perform a task). Again not always the case though but I guess if your looking for a "reputable" breeder you either get a breeder who is breeding conformation/showline/performance lines or working lines.

All of the ANKC breeders listed at Dogs SA would be breeding for show type so all would have coat. The length can vary to some degree not all have the same excessively heavy coats.

You might also find that the working breeders don't necessarily undertake the requisite health testing - Hips/Elbow scoring/TNS/CEA/CL DNA testing.

Edited by ness

Yes all ANKC Border Collies are long coats but there are plenty of short coats among the purely working lines. The problem with this is that the working lines are bred for high drive and real work so are rarely suitable as pets. Some other countries like NZ have the short coat in their show standard as well, but not Australia.

Do your friends realise that the short coats shed more than the long coats? After owning a Lab, I will never have a short double coated dog again. That much shedding drives me insane but I am fine with the longer tumbleweeds around the house from the long coats. Breeds with double short coats include, ACD, Kelpie, Corgi, GSD as well as short coated BCs.

Thanks so much for the info :laugh: I did suggest a pure bred kelpie to them but they have some set ideas - I was concerned about the drive of a working line bc too.

I will definitely let them know about the shedding and the health testing and I have a couple of breeders to put them in touch with. I love the look of BC s and have never seen them as a breed with coat issues :laugh:

You can get some very low drive working BCs just as you get very hyperactive show bred BCs. A working BC does need a good off switch and most well bred working dogs will have one, but like all BCs do need mental stimulation. I have found the most of the show bred BCs have less of an off switch than most of the workig bred BCs I know.

The short coated BCs should still have a double coat like a long coated BC and shed the coats much the same way just the hairs are shorter, You can also get BCs that don't have the thick fluffy coat like a show BC but it is still considered a rough coat like my dog. He does shed twice a year but much less hsir then my show bred dog and the only plsce he ever gets knots is behind his ears which I just cut off. He is also rarely brushed as he doesn't need to be - most farm3e3r don't have the time to be continually brushing their working dogs.

Edited by Janba