Feeding A Puppy Raw From 8 Weeks

I have my name down for a pup that will be born around mid year, my current lab is an allergy dog and can only get fresh meats and veg, along with some veg, sardines, yoghurt etc as he has a reaction to everything else. Now I am trying to decide if I will feed puppy raw from the time he comes home, or will I give him biscuits while he is growing rapidly or should I do a combo of both?? I would like to feed mainly bones and meat but I am worried that if I do not give the right nutrients the pup may have growth problems etc.

Any tips/advice??

I have my name down for a pup that will be born around mid year, my current lab is an allergy dog and can only get fresh meats and veg, along with some veg, sardines, yoghurt etc as he has a reaction to everything else. Now I am trying to decide if I will feed puppy raw from the time he comes home, or will I give him biscuits while he is growing rapidly or should I do a combo of both?? I would like to feed mainly bones and meat but I am worried that if I do not give the right nutrients the pup may have growth problems etc.

Any tips/advice??

I don't have anything useful to say here, but I'd love to see what others say! Both my boys tend to be a little sensitive. We've finally settled on IAMS Large breed, but they tend to develop sensitivities so we could be looking again in a few months. I did feed them roo mince etc for a while, but I worried about the same things as you - that they weren't getting everything they needed, so we gradually moved back to Large Breed pup food.

I do wonder though - if they survive in the wild on mainly bones, meat and whatever they forage...surely this diet would be ok for them? Not sure about very young pups though!

Edited by becw

I wean my pups on to raw and in the past have kept them on raw the whole time (can't right at the moment). I would look around for a breeder of the breed you are getting or a breed similar who feeds raw and ask them about raising pups on raw. Different sized breeds have different needs and what one breed is able to chew up another may not be able to.

Perfectly do-able.

If you had asked me this question a while back I would have said to feed something like Dr Billinghursts BARF mix which is sold frozen, just thaw it out and feed. It is the complete raw mix.

However after breeding several litters and using raw to raise them etc. over several years I would now say to feed a combination of raw and a good quality dry dogfood.

The reason - large breeds can have nutritional problems with just raw, others may not agree but that is what I found. For small to medium sized breed - some of these dogs raised on raw, as adults, were/are not great eaters, preferring raw food, especially nutritionally incomplete chicken necks..... plus there are times when you will have to feed dry food eg. if you put them into boarding kennels.

Now many breeders I know prefer to feed a dry dogfood to a pregnant bitch because the good quality dry is nutritionally complete which is very important at this time. I also found whelping was easier in most cases if the bitch had been on dry.

Thats my opinion and my experience - you do what works best for you and your dogs!

Edited by STITCH

Any tips/advice??

What's the breeder going to be feeding the pups?

I'd be inclined to continue feeding whatever the pup has been eating at the breeders for the first month or two, maybe more, then slowly wean onto the diet you want. Being that the pup isn't even born yet you have plenty of time to do your research.

As Sandra said, ask around and see if you can find breeders (of your pups breed) who feed raw and can give you advice on how to start.

Perhaps have a read of "Grow Your Pup with Bones" and "Give your Dog a bone" (Ian Billinghust) in the meantime.

The pup will probably be on dry at the breeders and when he comes home he will get that for awhile. The trouble comes in where if the puppy throws up etc and my other dog eats it, now that wont happen at first as obviously they will be separated when I am not here at first, not because I dont trust my big dog with him ( he totally ignores pups, 'if i pretend that are not there, maybe they will go away...') but because I am not sure what mischief the little one may get up to chewing things etc.

Kenneling them where they wont feed RAW wont be an option for me as I have yet to find biscuits that the allergy dog can eat anyway although something he could eat would be Ziwipeak I just have not tried it as yet ( but I read in the ingredients it has chickory in it?? Not so keen on that).

How exciting you are getting a puppy :D

My girl was already eating some raw mince with rice and vegies, and chicken necks when I brought her home at 8 weeks, but she also had kibble.

Reading the Billinghurst books are a great source, lots of info here in DOL, and will help you decide which way to go. I went with raw and have never regretted it. Slow introduction of new food is important for sensitive tummies, and that will be your most challenging time. Eventually you can work out a weekly menu to include all the right things, quality meat, offal, fish, suitable bones and any supplements you feel you need. I give omega oil, and yogurt daily. My breeder advised leaving a bowl of kibble available for free feeding as well, but she stopped eating kibble alltogether after about 6 months of age, so now only gets it in her kong occasionally.

She has thrived, and is a solid, lively, healthy girl.

It is great that you are doing your research now, sounds like you will eventually have both dogs on the same (raw) diet ;)

Good luck, and have fun.