Monthly Heartworm Prevention

Stitch

I have one of mine that now stops eating after every monthly heartworm dose.

I have tried her on Heartguard Plus and also Interceptor and both obviously upset her gut.

I prefer the monthly ones - so has anyone tried Revolution which I believe is applied to the skin??? or has anyone any ideas on one that doesn't upset the gut?

Any idea on costs too?

Would really appreciate all your feedback. :eek:

ok

I have tried Revolution in the past and didn't like, but I am not a fan of the topical typed treatments for flees, heartworm etc...

have you tried the exelpet range....i know it is a supermarket sold brand but my vet says it's ok ( I dont use now but used to without problems)

Stitch.

Try Sentinel Interceptor. It does all worms (including tape) and heart worm. A chew tablet once a month.

Sentinel Spectrum also does fleas. (Although I have had not a lot success treating fleas with this product).

I have collies and it is safe.

ETA: It is same ingredient as used in Proheart (which I used to use). Combined with the all worm, it works out cheaper than buying Proheart and Paratak Plus for worms.

Edited by Mystiqview

I agree, Interceptor is good but still upsets the gut of this particular dog.

If Revolution isn't great then I might just have to accept that she will have an upset stomach once a month but I was hoping to find one that was better for her.

I haven't tried ProHeart on her although I have used it in the past - didn't remember what its active ingredient was.

Edited by STITCH

The chew tablets are flavoured and are of a product to make the dog WANT to eat it. Rather than make the owner force tablets down the throat.

Heartgard and Inteceptor are different active ingredients. Heartgard is Ivemectin and Sentinel is milbemycin oxime for heart worm and praziquantel for all worm. (To correct my earlier post)

This is the link for Sentinel: http://www.pets.novartis.com.au/site/produ...interceptor.php

Given Heartgard and Sentinel are different products, I would first say, it could be the all worming portion, as all wormers can be known for causing gut issues. But as Heartgard does not contain all wormers, my second thought (through logical thinking) could be what ever is used to make the tablet flavoursome.

I know for humans, quite often people react to the coating on the tablet. The gel caps contain things to some people causing allergy like symptoms. Hence my thought on it possibly being the flavour part of the product.

Unfortunately there are not many alternatives. The only other one is previously mentioned:

Proheart is moxidectin based, and is also a tablet. I would also refrain from using the 6 month or 12 month SR12 injections. I have heard with some collies it is been fatal.

Have a look at priceless pets

www.pricelesspets.com.au

He is probably got the best prices around.

I personally do not trust nor like the idea of top spots for worming. But then if you are continually having gut issues, then that may be the way to go too.

For me, I prefer my wormers to go down the hatch.. I know it is done. The dog can go swimming else, and I have no fear of it washing off, the double coat soaking up the product or any other contingency that typically reduces the effectiveness of top spots.

Edited by Mystiqview

The chew tablets are flavoured and are of a product to make the dog WANT to eat it. Rather than make the owner force tablets down the throat.

Heartgard and Inteceptor are different active ingredients. Heartgard is Ivemectin and Sentinel is milbemycin oxime for heart worm and praziquantel for all worm. (To correct my earlier post)

This is the link for Sentinel: http://www.pets.novartis.com.au/site/produ...interceptor.php

Given Heartgard and Sentinel are different products, I would first say, it could be the all worming portion, as all wormers can be known for causing gut issues. But as Heartgard does not contain all wormers, my second thought (through logical thinking) could be what ever is used to make the tablet flavoursome.

I know for humans, quite often people react to the coating on the tablet. The gel caps contain things to some people causing allergy like symptoms. Hence my thought on it possibly being the flavour part of the product.

Unfortunately there are not many alternatives. The only other one is previously mentioned:

Proheart is moxidectin based, and is also a tablet. I would also refrain from using the 6 month or 12 month SR12 injections. I have heard with some collies it is been fatal.

Sadly, my dogs have not read the advertising for chewable tablets. They turn their noses up at them. Much easier to dose with traditional ones.

Poodlefan.

Yeah. I have met some dogs through my grooming business who have not read the advertising blurb too. Gotta shove Heartgard down the hatch.

My guys can take either. They are so used to being drugged every second day with Proban, they are used to tablets.

I use sentinel only cause it is cheaper than buying heartwormers and allwormers separately.

Yep, I have never had the urge to try the injections on my little guys after all it is a low grade poison.

I usually give the heartworm med at the same time as feeding, maybe I need to change that to giving it just after feeding however this dog is a picky eater in the first place and you can get old and grey waiting for the food to be eaten.

Mental note that I must pay more attention to that.

Might have to make the meal especially tasty when I am going to give the heartworm med. so that it is completely consumed before the med.

I am very happy with Interceptor as most of my lot don't have a problem with it but I was just finishing the packet of Heartguard Plus last night however I have noted that she still gets the same reaction on Interceptor.

Myst, now that you mention it, I think you are right about the spot on stuff, it is a restriction on what the dog can do if it needs to be on the skin for a month without being washed off.

Edited by Stitch

THe spot ons don't need to be on the skin for a month to work.

They are absorbed(worm and heartworm component) in around 24 hours. IF you have a flea issue then you don't want your dog to swim everyday as the flea part of the product is not absorbed into the dog so therefore needs to sit on the dog. They can swim a few times a week or get washed weekly and the flea stuff will still work.

I have used Advocate with no issus.

Mine are both on the 12 month injections. After reading up on DOL, I bought a packet of the chews, printed out a lot of the literature and did talk about it at great length with our vet but in the end opted for the injections. It's definitely not the approved/preferred way to go for heartworm on DOL but it's worked out fine for us and both dogs are healthy with no side-effects.

Yep, I have never been in favour of the 12 monthly ones but I think there would definitely be instances where they would be OK.

I don't like to do anything that may affect a breeding bitch so I err on the side of caution.

Looks like I will be sticking with Interceptor but watching out that all mine eat well prior to dosing.

If this doesn't work I will have to change this particular dog over to the spot on variety.

Many thanks for all your comments!!

Edited by Stitch

Heartgard Plus does contain intestinal wormer ingredients, so it could be that.