Sleeping Dogs....

Yesterday was quite hot so I flaked it with my 2 dogs in front of a fan, on my bed. Unbeknown to me ( I was asleep), "Rosie" started gagging...my 12 yr old (who regularly handles both dogs) rushed in to grab her off the bed to put her outside... "Luci" woke and rushed my daughter, placing a nasty nip on her thigh. I was upset as Luci is not aggressive, in fact she is usually overly licky & affectionate. Is it a case of just "Luci getting a fright?" Is there an unwritten rule we have broken?? Luci adopted a submissive pose (on back) immediately after and proceeded to try to lick my daughters feet profusely. I have never had a dog do this in my many years of having a dog....Yes Luci is trained (novice std) and I have ensured she allows us to remove bones & toys from her without complaint. She is very accustomed to feet/mouth/ ear handling.

Input please.

Hi redangel. It's just about impossible to assess an unseen individual dog and give advice from information given over the internet. If you're worried you would be better off finding an experienced trainer whose opinion you respect and have them observe Luci's behaviour first hand. There could be subtle signals that Luci is giving that you're not recognizing. From the information you've given I'd be inclined to put this down to a startled reflex and forgive her (once) but if you notice any other behaviour that gives you concern I suggest you seek professional advice.