Panting Really Fast

Lucy's mama

Thanks for all the help.

He is an Australian Shepherd. I and my vet don't think he is over weight - but every Aussie person I have met does.

Once I took the milk off him (the cow kind - I had no ice and it's in a big block so he could only lick it not guzzle it or gnaw on it) and got organized he was back to normal. No doubt if I'd left it five more minutes I wouldn't have even felt the need to post. I will mention to the vet though that he does pant a lot just in case. I have always just assumed it is just how he is.

I will keep him inside for the day because it is really hot and the other dogs are still coming and going along the back.

Thank you. I have given him a bottle of frozen milk he is licking now.

Chewbacca - do you mean the fact he has always panted a lot could be a sign of a chronic illness?

No, I have not noticed any other changes.

His panting has settled for now and I think I will take him to the vet. He has had some MASSIVE runs at a flat out pace recently (The neighbours kids let him out, he saw an opportunity and took off at full pace) where I have worried he will just run himself to death. He just doesn't seem to know when to stop.

not always from a pup, but if it has started in the last year or two, hard to monitor over summer due to the heat, but if you are concerned, a blood test would be the go. From the sound of it he may just over exert on a regular basis. Better safe than sorry though. Good luck.

Easiest way to check for heat stress is check the dogs temperature. I have arrived home not long ago after taking one of my dogs to the vet. Came home from work - no dog. Found him sheltering under cover unable to get up. Found blood on his paw, automatically thought snake bite. Carried him up near the hose & wet him down. Took a closer look at the blood & looked more like a scrape than a bite. Unable to stand my next thought was a tick. Went over him quickly & no tick to be found. Next option was get the the vet ASAP. Turned out his temperature was in excess of 41 degrees. Ice packs, iced water enema & a drip & the temperature came down but slowly. Left him at the vet overnight so fingers crossed when I ring in the morning.

My advice, if in doubt, go straight to the vet. The more time you spend worrying what it could be could be time wasted.

Good luck. Hopefully no long term worries.

Greg

Banjo looks like a lab or goldie is that right ?

If so, one thing to be on the look out for is EIC. But if you say the neighbours kids let him out and he run around like crazy, then I doubt it would be that.

EIC = Exercise Induced Collapse

Briefly, it just means that dogs affected by it can collapse (and sometimes die) after strenuous exercise.

Its probably been around for a long time, just we couldnt test for it back then.

OT but..

I have met a lab with what is beleived to be EIC (no test done, it's only a pet) and I was with him once during an episode the symptoms were more seizure like, the dog I know which likely has it sort of freezes from the rear end forward but his eyes stay aware and he looks frightened. After a time lapse (I think at the longest was like 15 minutes) it's like he begins to unfreeze and gets back feeling slowly in his front limbs (upon which he gets up and tries to walk but can't :cry: ) and it moves back until his rear end has feeling again, the time I was with him we then helped him stand and he just gave us this cheeky look took a few wobbly steps and was off running again.

I've never seen it myself (thankfully)....but must of been quite scary for the owners I would imagine and yourself seeing it as well. :cry:

It was pretty awful :cry: We were walking in the bush and about 25-30 mins from home and it was raining.

Glad Banjo is better to the OP :cry: Toby pants like an idiot after exercise and then comes good.

There is heaps of very good info on heat stress on the net - take the time to google some - we live in a hot humid country so it is good to have this info in your head.

Panting is what dogs do to cool down more extreme symptoms obviously need to be dealt wiht by a vet eg unable to stand, vomiting

otherwise get the dog to rest in the shade or airconditioning (if you have it) If you want to immerse the dog use tepid water rather than ice cold. Apppy water to groin armpit areas (these are areas where the blood vessels are closer to the skin) Place dog in front of a fan on a wet towel (don't put the towel over them)

Dogs do these things themselves - they lie on tiles in an area where they get a breeze.

Be cautious about allowing a wet dog to lie on tiles in a breeze for any length of time due to risk of pneumonia

Do not let dogs over exercise in this weather - if the dog is too dumb to self regulate - then do it for them. My lot have a routine of outside toy games in the afternoon - over summer we have a couple of short sessions - I end them otherwise I would end up with overheated dogs.

JMO

Edited by frufru

Easiest way to check for heat stress is check the dogs temperature. I have arrived home not long ago after taking one of my dogs to the vet. Came home from work - no dog. Found him sheltering under cover unable to get up. Found blood on his paw, automatically thought snake bite. Carried him up near the hose & wet him down. Took a closer look at the blood & looked more like a scrape than a bite. Unable to stand my next thought was a tick. Went over him quickly & no tick to be found. Next option was get the the vet ASAP. Turned out his temperature was in excess of 41 degrees. Ice packs, iced water enema & a drip & the temperature came down but slowly. Left him at the vet overnight so fingers crossed when I ring in the morning.

My advice, if in doubt, go straight to the vet. The more time you spend worrying what it could be could be time wasted.

Good luck. Hopefully no long term worries.

Greg

How is your dog today Greg? Any news yet?

Still at the vets. There has been some improvement. Last night they were worried he was blind. This morning my worst fears were confirmed. His eyes were not responding to light. Good news this afternoon his eyes are responding. Still not able to stand. Vet thinks there is some degree of brain damage but it may be reverseable over time. Fingers crossed. Vet also thinks he may have had a stroke but can't be sure whether it happened due to the heat stress or before the heat stress kicked in.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I have come home from school drop off to Banjo madly barking at the back fence. A couple of dogs were down there in the swamp/bushland on the other side of the fence. They ran off and I called Banjo up. He immediately went for his water bucket, stood in it and drank between panting. He has a bit of blood on his muzzle but nothing much else.

He has always been a real panty dog but he is panting quite fast even after 5 or so minutes. I've poured water over him, bought him inside on the tiles and have the air con on. My bloody phone is showing 'no network' so I can't call the vet and ask.

In the last few months I've twice taken him to the vet for small concerns and nothings been wrong with him - just me being a worrier, so I don't really want to keep doing that.

At what point would you rock up at the vet if your dog was panting a lot in a cool environment??

Hey

I have come in quite late in this topic, but for future reference, I have 5 Aussies, and I find the more highly strung ones do pant alot, especially in times of high stimulation.. They also drink more water than the others.... sounds like you did the right thing.

Cheers

Karen

sounds just like the dog ran itself stupid and scratched its nose on the fence being a loony.

My dogs have done the same thing. Dogs cannot sweat and rely on evaporation to remove heat through panting and urination = fluid loss = more drinking.

Give the dog a cool place to lie down, a bucket of water and leave them be. If I took one of my lot to the vet every time they did something silly or acted different from a sedate dog I would need to take out a morgage. Start reading up a little on canine behaviour and basic physiology, there are heaps of articles on the internet to make you a little more self sufficient. My own dog has managed to shred the top layer of skin and all her hair off the skin on her throat ... Cetrigen and some salt minerals cream is healing it nicely.

EIC = Exercise Induced Collapse

Briefly, it just means that dogs affected by it can collapse (and sometimes die) after strenuous exercise.

Its probably been around for a long time, just we couldnt test for it back then.

wee bit of ovekill.

If the dog is fat (if you cant feel the ribs easily, and I mean not through an inch of blubber) then your dog is fat.

Edited by Nekhbet