Nose Care?

auir

Hi All

This is something that i have been wondering about for quite some time, i have asked my vet a few times but they say its not an issue / nothing needs to be done.

I have a red BC, when he was a little pup he had a black nose, but over the last 2 years it has gone more of a pinky / brown / skin color (not a good discription i know)

My question has always been does he need some sort of sunscreen / zinc for his nose??

He never gets any spots or anything that appears to be sunburn, infact he is alot smarter than me during the sunny parts of the day he plays under a tree in the back yard and only goes into the direct sun when he wants to chase his basket ball or something like that.

The other red and whites in our area all have black noses and the other dogs i see around with similar color nose dont appear to have sort of cream or zinc on them either. So as i write this im figuring its just me being OTT.

Attached is a pic of him from the begining of the year (might help with the color description)

Cheers

post-29266-1296702843_thumb.jpg

i wouldn't be worried unless your worried, just above the nose if the skin is white/pink pigmented i would suggest some type of zinc, other wise i wouldn't worry unless they are out for a long time and it is bothering you.

They need sunscreen to maintain the nose natural colour - some dogs develop darker noses regardless (in the genes). What you want to avoid is patchy pink specks which is doggy version of blisters.

Make sure the sunscreen is harmless and reapply often as they like to lick it off :o