How To Stop A Dog From Mouthing The Dumbbell

I have a 3 year old Labrador that is going to start competing in Open.

She is doing well with the dumbbell but we have a couple of problems

1) When she comes back with the dumbbell, she is constantly mouthing it. She is not doing it when she brings the dumbbell back...only when she is sitting in front

2) In the dumbbell over the broad jump...She is ultra keen and will bolt off after I throw it. It may be because she can't see the dumbbell after I throw it. How do I teach her not to go until I send her out to fetch the dumbbell.

Any help will be appreciated...

dumbell has become a prey item hence the munch munch.

Uta Bindells showed a method where she sits and hands the dumbel to the dog for a second, clicks then takes it back. Keeps repeating this exercise but entends the time, if the dog mouths break and start again from the start of the whole thing.

Does she not have a command to go get the dumbell? Have her on a leash, you can get tabs that attach to the collar. The dog should be focussed on you for a retrieve command not pre-empting your throwing of the dumbel.

Do you use a prey toy with the dog already?

A couple of things I have done...for problem 1, I went back to baby retrieves (as in right in front) and only take the dumbbell when the dog stops playing with it. I had to wait him out to begin with but, as he got a high value treat once I took the dumbbell, he worked it out pretty quickly and the time to stop chewing was less and less. You have to be really, really consistent though! For problem 2 I have taught pup that sit means sit and stay by using the steady feet game and then using life rewards to up the ante eg going through gates, doors, off leash run. She is now 95% steady on her puppy retrieves at 50 metres. The odd time she breaks out of excitement she pulls herself up. She is required to focus on the retrieve but still wait for my command. She is 5.5 months old. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

She might be mouthing the dumbbell because she doesn't really want you to take it from her. Play a few games where she brings it in but you don't take it. Push on the dumbbell and let her keep it and run around with you. Don't keep making her sit in front after she has retrieved it.

Instead sit her in front and give it to her and stroke her head while she holds it to calm the chewing. No pressure to get her to give it up until she isn't chewing it.

The breaking is an easy fix. Hold her collar, throw it, then tell her heel and do a right-about on the spot and heel her a few paces, turn around go back halt and when she is sitting send her for the retrieve. The breaking is a "good" fault because it shows she is keen.

luvsablue,

victoria

1) i would do the "fetch hold give" part right infront of you over and over and let her hold it for a short amount of time less then 4 seconds and reward each time for her concentrating, then place the dumbell on the ground about 1 m infront of you send her and take the dumbell imediately and then treat it gives her less time to chew and start to slighty build up that time.. just a suggestion i have no clue if it would actually work with your individual dog.

Number 2) on lead, use a wait command/stay and hold the lead loose enough she doesn't know you have her on lead but close enough you can give a quick correction if she goes to fetch the dumbell without a command.

2)throw the dumbell over and over with you dog on lead and don't let her get it you can give her a correction when she breaks from a command eventually she will give up then send her and throw a few then send mix up the amount of times you send and throw.

2) put dog in sit stay walk a and place dumbell on ground walk back to dog then send.

Go back to square one....you have progressed to fast and she doesn't know her job. Remember your foundation training!!! Throwing the dumbbell is the last bit and until you have a good hold in close you don't go any further. Have a look at this site http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html

I have a 3 year old Labrador that is going to start competing in Open.

She is doing well with the dumbbell but we have a couple of problems

1) When she comes back with the dumbbell, she is constantly mouthing it. She is not doing it when she brings the dumbbell back...only when she is sitting in front

2) In the dumbbell over the broad jump...She is ultra keen and will bolt off after I throw it. It may be because she can't see the dumbbell after I throw it. How do I teach her not to go until I send her out to fetch the dumbbell.

Any help will be appreciated...

Just to add - check the size of your dumbell as well. Often if the DB is too large (sticks out too far from sides of mouth), the dog will roll and mouth it.

Also with the breaking for the retrieve, don't always let the dog do the retrieve. Labs are pretty keen retrievers naturally, but she needs to learn to listen to your command. Keep her on lead whilst training the steadiness for this and every few throws (randomise this part), you go out and pick up the DB and retrieve it and return to hear and release, but don't give her that DB. Doesn't matter if it is a wait/stay that you leave her on, but give her a command to stay put, whilst you go out and retrieve that DB yourself.

The other suggestions for stopping breaking are good ideas too. Sometimes it takes a couple of different ideas and methods to resolve some of these sorts of issues.

In the UK we can do a retrieve from a down, this can be a better position for dogs who break early (my giant was like this)

You can also keep hold of the collar and do pretend throws (don't let go of the bell) if she tries to break, then you are easily back at the start. Other suggestions above also help, especially going to get the bell yourself and leaving he dog in a stay.

With the mouthing - check the size and weight of the bell, also what the mouthpiece is like, my giant prefers a light weight wooden bell with string around the mouthpiece, the minis prefer the light plastic bells.

As others said, go back to just practising the hold, you can do this while the adverts are on TV, just drop the bell at your side and get the dog to pick it up

another one I do is to get my giant to do a hand touch before sending her (just remembered as we are playing fetch atm!), outside I might do other things like get her to go around me to heel position, leg weaving etc. Sometimes I will just walk her away from the tthrown object and then send her 'blind' to the bell

THanks everyone

I think I may have gone too fast and didn't worry too much about the hold. When we first start doing it...she would come in and drop it at my feet. I was so happy that she was holding it...I didn't worry about the mouthing until now.

Great ideas...I think I will only reward when she stops mouthing...