Dogs & Pain

dianed

My dog Sophie is slowing getting worse in the back end.She has cartrophen injections each month and a daily dose of Glucosine/Chondroitin.

Yesterday I noticed she is licking herself near one hip joint. She has now worn the skin away,would this be a sign of pain in her hip joint?

Licking can certainly indicate a site of pain. Have you talked to your vet about pain management options? My old boy gets monthly catrophen injections and daily joint guard as well as various drug options for when he's in pain. It did take a little while to work out what drugs worked for him best.

Ive put the drug options off because of things I have read about them. What drug does your dog use FHRP, does he only take it when in pain or everyday? My vet has mentioned Metacam and I know someone who,s dog uses Rimadyl medication daily.

I have used liquid Metacam for a while now and it has always done the trick. Luckily i have not had to use it for a while now, but it certainly comes in handy when Clover 'over does it'.

It is best to delay using the serious medications such as Metacam but in the end quality of life is more important than quantity. Nibbling at herself is a sure sign something is sore and time to start more serious meds. She may only need them a couple of times a week to begin with so just play round with them until you find the dose that keeps her comfortable. Personally metacam would be my choice but I have a small breed and I understand it is very expensive for large breeds.

Ive put the drug options off because of things I have read about them. What drug does your dog use FHRP, does he only take it when in pain or everyday? My vet has mentioned Metacam and I know someone who,s dog uses Rimadyl medication daily.

My boy is nearly 13 years old and has spondylosis, at his age I am less worried about the long term effects of drugs then say with a 3 year old dog. It is not time (for him) to be putting drug options off if they work IMO, his comfort and quality of life are my first concern. Flynn gets Previcox, Valium and/or Tramal, all depending on his level of discomfort. He has not had valium or tramal for many months now and the Previcox is only when he's had a lot of exercise and is showing signs of soreness.

Edited by FHRP

Grumpy moves very well for his age, though I am increasingly worried about the strength of his legs. He's always tripped since I've had him, like he's not lifting up his front feet properly, but more recently, it's become more obvious and I'm concerned he'll do some damage. Just when I arrived home, he belted outside as if he was a young fella and his legs sort of fell from under him. He got up immediately and continued belting around but I just held my breath. There's nothing obviously wrong. He doesn't have arthritis and can still jump up on the bed and couch (and on me) but the vet found a sore spot that made Grumpy wince in his spine near his hips, which I think might be the cause of the problem. I've also noticed that in the backyard he increasingly doesn't lift his leg to do his wees. He's on Sasha's Blend but I don't think it's doing much for him.

My old girl lady who is around 16/17 years of age is also on monthly cartrophen injections and so far they are helping and also use the liquid metacam when she has bad days like when the weather changes and especially with this humid weather we've been having, she has beds all over the house but seems to prefer to lay on the cool lino in the kitchen.

She is very tottery on her old legs now and if my other little maltese dog happens to run into her when he's playing with his toys or push past her when they are going out to toilet she grumps at him as much to say "Watch what ya doing will ya" so has now earned the nick name Ol grumpa saurus!! But I'll say one thing come anytime from 3 o'clock onwards and she's in kitchen barking demanding her dinner. :)

post-31607-1297854898_thumb.jpg

Edited by mutt lover

my dear late Miss Sophie was kept comfortable during her last 6 years with a mix of traumeel, and then meloxicam when and if needed.She also has a regular chro adjustment. we tried acupuncture but The divine One let the vet know that further attempts to needle her would result in one final and memorable laying in of the royal teeth on her part. ( you sort of need to have known her to see how funny this was!!!!) She also really liked her magnetic mat... before the mat she would always stretch out full length... once she had slept on the mat for the first time she would carefully curl herself around until her entier wolfie x dane body was on the mat .. from this i assume that it made some sort of difference for her.

The Divine One is still greatly missed around here...

bless her beautiful bewhiskered face and her indominitable will.

H

Sophie scared the hell out of me while on our walk late yesterday. She started to limp in the left front leg so I massaged it only to have her scream in pain, she then passed out. She came too right away and we slowly walked home. She ate her normal dinner and slept all night. We had a small walk this morning, all seems ok. So tomorrow when she is due for her monthly cartrophen injection we will be getting some medication for her arthritis. Only short walks from now on.

I have used liquid Metacam for a while now and it has always done the trick. Luckily i have not had to use it for a while now, but it certainly comes in handy when Clover 'over does it'.

This is the only drug I use on Charlie. Only use it on his "bad days". that stuff is amazing.

Sophie scared the hell out of me while on our walk late yesterday. She started to limp in the left front leg so I massaged it only to have her scream in pain, she then passed out. She came too right away and we slowly walked home. She ate her normal dinner and slept all night. We had a small walk this morning, all seems ok. So tomorrow when she is due for her monthly cartrophen injection we will be getting some medication for her arthritis. Only short walks from now on.

Oh no :)

Sophie had her monthly cartrophen injection and is fine today. I am giving the right amount of Glucosomine/ Chondroitin for her weight.

I told the vet how she fell over when I touched her under upper front leg. She laughed! It seems like I touched a nerve that caused her to loose her footing. Wish I could remember the name of it, maybe some one knows of it. Its something that vet students get caught out with?

I would bet my life that she's licking due to pain.

I understand that there are some scary stories out there from NSAIDS, but if you look at the overall population of dogs who use them in their senior years, the percentage of dogs who have serious side effects is actually quite low.

Cartophen is not an anti inflammatory or pain reliever. It's not that dissimilar to giving glucosamine. But in a dog with serious degeneration, it's not going to do an awful lot of the pain - the damage has already been done.

IMO, it's time for NSAIDS. There are some that seem to have fewer side effects like Previcox, but Metacam and even Rimadyl are both good in healthy dogs.

As for the nerve in the front leg, I can only think she was talking about the radial nerve? Dogs can suffer different degrees of damage to it which can lead to paralysis of the front leg, but it can repair in some cases if the nerve isn't completely severed. But whilst it can be temporary, it's still a gradual recovery so I don't believe something that would just happen in a matter of seconds?? I've never heard of touching a nerve which results in a dog falling over. There is no simple access to nerves to generally have that sort of effect - nature hid them away so they we didn't always fall over when we touched things.

Edited by stormie

I am starting Sophie on Prolet, we have to wait 48 hours after the cartrophen injection . Initially 1 1/2 tabs for 3 days then every second day. We will see if they agree with her and how she responds.

I caused her to fall by touching her in that spot on her leg , I will find out its name.

She was checked out yesterday and does not have a heart murmur. In fact the vet said she does not look 13, she is mostly black in color with no gray muzzle common to gsd,s.