For The Betterment Of The Breed.

Gayle.

To me, it is a holistic statement - and a way of doing every thing.

It is not simply breeding dogs which will win in the ring. It is about studying and researching the breed, and the standard, so the breed and the standard are fully umderstood so it is possible to breed to the standard. To ensure your interpretation of the standard is not off the planet - breeders who do not understand the standard, or have a weird interpretation often produce generations of lousy dogs. And to continue to learn and apply that learning.

It's about breeding dogs as close to the standard as possible, about breeding health and temperament which will breed on to future generations. About being mindful of every thing in the standard.

To keeping the dogs in a manner which enthuses others who see them, to taking them out and about so they are a credit to the breed.

To dealing with enquiries and puppy buyers for the betterment of the breed. This means replying to every single enquiry in a timely way, to supplying information if requested, and to encourage buyers to care for their dogs in the correct way.

It means never selling a dog which is unsuitable for the home, guaranteeing the health of the dog, helping with any problems, and being there for the buyer.

The whole breeding/showing/selling deal should all be for the betterment of the breed.

That was the culture I "grew up in" as a breeder. That's not how it is seen these days - it is about winning in the ring. I am a dinosaur, as are my friends, the new wave don't see it like that at all.

A phrase that's heard a lot in the dog world, but what exactly does it mean? And is it limited to breeders only?

I tend to think not, but I'm interested in others interpretations of the words.

It is the ultimate rationale for registered breeders.

In my breed it means improving a dogs pigment, maintaining horse hair coat, eliminating a droop lip, producing correct head and stop, avoiding Spitz tail, etc.

However, the paramount goal of all breeding is temperament.

Why?

Well what can happen if these values are not held above all else?

During the early days of my breed, in this country, some entrepreneurs got hold of them and bred anything with anything so that the dogs that were produced no longer resembled the original stock bred over 2000 years to perform a specific function.

In the final analysis, would you breed fault to fault? Of course not.

The betterment of the breed is not just a phrase.

There is a lot of work done behind the scenes that provides education and guidance.

I have two great dogs that were produced from the betterment of the breed programs.

For that I cannot thank the breeders enough. ;)

Edited by pewithers

To me it is quite complicated and depends on where you are hoping to go with your dogs. If you are a show breeder then it is trying to breed a dog as close to the standard as possible while still maintaining maximum health, soundness, temperament etc with the required health tests. If you have a breed that still does its original work and are breeding for that working ability then it is breeding the best working dog you can while maintaining health, soundness etc but the selecting for conformation becomes less important so long as the dog is structurally sound for the work required and has the best possible working ability. Performance breeders breeding for dog sports can come somewhere in the middle.

It really doesn't matter whether you are breeding show dogs or working dogs or performance dogs so long as you are trying to improve your dogs with each litter your breed.

Edited by Janba

For non-breeders like me (yes I did think briefly about it then discarded the idea for a number of reasons), to better the breed *could* mean trialling, showing, dabbling in other dog activities, getting out and about with the dogs and talking to people who ask about them.

In the case of my breed, it's about making people aware they exist and that they are a different breed to border collies.

If I am out in public with a number of Australian Shepherds, doing activities to show off my Australian Shepherds abilities, or simply walking with well-behaved, well-groomed, fit and friendly dogs.....I think that is acting in a manner which is a credit to the breed and is also for the betterment of the breed.

True story......a very long time ago when my children were little, a dog show was advertised in the local paper as an upcoming event and because we loved dogs, I took the kids along to see it. I now know that it was an all-breeds championship show, at the time I didn't really have any idea, we just went to look at the dogs.

We stopped to look at some Samoyeds and the people who owned them invited the kids over to pat them, and they were so lovely and friendly to us, that we all went away with an impression of beautiful dogs owned by lovely people. And that impression has remained today. Rightly or wrongly, I always associate Samoyeds with friendly owners because of that one encounter, and those people were acting for the betterment of the breed.

Had they been snappy and told my kids off for coming to close, I would definitely have left with a very different impression of Samoyeds.

We stopped to look at some Samoyeds and the people who owned them invited the kids over to pat them, and they were so lovely and friendly to us, that we all went away with an impression of beautiful dogs owned by lovely people. And that impression has remained today. Rightly or wrongly, I always associate Samoyeds with friendly owners because of that one encounter, and those people were acting for the betterment of the breed.

Bit OT, but had to have a little chuckle about this one..... some of my dogs have had their photos taken with random kids at the ekka (Brisbane royal). God knows who has photos of my dogs with their kids but I do remember one little boy throwing his arms around my big boys neck for a cuddle and me thinking OMG my dogs head is bigger than the kids. ;)

Edited to add: where possible we always try to talk to the public at dog shows if they are walking past and stop to admire our dogs. The public do seem to get a kick out of us bringing out a youngster for cuddles.

Edited by MissMonaro

A lot of lip service given to that phrase I think.

It is really quite a complex concept. I think Jed has stated it well.

IMO it is about respecting the breed; presenting it well, but in a realistic and honest fashion; knowing (and understanding!) its past - and I am not just talking your basic breed book or internet website history here; looking to its future on a strategic (whole of breed) level; being open and forthcoming with information; and - if I can borrow from my own motto - putting the BREED before breeding.

It is about the big picture - not just the dogs in your own yard.