Dogs, And Rental Properties.

snow_wolf

I think trying to promise that the pet will not damage anything is a bit of a tough one. As a dog owner, I can see that just merely by having the dog in the house, extra wear and tear is happening. The carpets are getting worn more quickly, they are dirtier more often - even the walls are getting dirtier. I notice it particularly around dog height - ha! (So I can't blame the OH - at least someone eats his crumbs off the carpet now). Pee spots in the grass, it never growing back *quite* the same, the unevenness from the occasional hole... etc.

As a potential landlord I'd be happy enough if someone was willing to pay a bit extra for that wear and tear, and if I were a renter, I'd be willing to acknowledge that.

I lived in that area for over 10 years - I really loved the place and had to move due to work.

Should be OK finding a place. Easier than getting somewhere closer to Parramatta/Sydney anyway.

I rented with 2 dogs and luckily had such great references never had much trouble thou it is SO... stressfull if you are in a hurry. My dogs had a letter similar to a resume with details of their training etc.

When I applied I asked for dogs allowed inside. I was honest as the agents just say no to the dog inside anyway. I stated in my letter attached to my application forms that I would rather be honest and say dogs will be allowed in than lie about it. I said I understood if dogs inside are not allowed and thanks for your time.

I agreed in my last rental to sign a pet clause. I agreed to spray before and after for fleas ( as thou mine would tolerate fleas). I would pay for any damage my dogs did. Which is fair enough as dogs could cause damage and if it was your home you'd fix it.

I did always rent cheaper homes as I was saving and mostly landlords who owned the cheaper homes seemed keen to have me.

Good Luck! Hope you find a nice place with good fences and dogs allowed in. You know how your life stands when your most important rental consideration is " Is the fence good?"

Edited by skip