Weird Behaviour

sandgrubber

I have a 7 year old entire Lab bitch and her 13 mo old granddaughter. They are good mates, play together, sleep lying on one another, etc. The old lady humps the pup from time to time. But the weird one, which I've only seen twice, is the pup occasionally goes for the old girl's teats . . .it really looks like she's trying to nurse. While she does it she pumps her hips and spine in a sexual sort of way. The old girl puts up with it for awhile, but eventually tells the pup off.

What the heck is going on? Does anyone else get this behaviour?

Well I do have a bit of a weird one here......

Entire bitch - aged 4

Older desexed bitch - aged 9

When I'm out just sitting/relaxing/patting the dogs.... the entire bitch rolls on to her back under the older bitch and tries to suckle milk from her. :o

No hip movements though......just like a pup trying to get milk from her mother. Except this bitch is not her mother. (and complete with the slurping sound too)

The only connection was when the bitch was a baby, the older bitch did get in the whelping box and fed the pups just the once (she was a great mother in her time).

I have no idea why she does it, and its not all the time - it seems to be something triggers it off - possibly an attention seeking thing. I've never really stressed "too" much about it, just thought it was weird.

Just recently the entire bitch was mated, got milk of her own...but turned out not to be pregnant...but during the waiting to see if she was pregnant she then started to try to suckle her younger sister who was in season and she did not appreciate the gesture at all - but its normally the older one she'll do it too (just they were seperated at the time).

Interestingly the older bitch is very good at letting me know a bitch is coming in, as she flirts with them - long before the male dog is interested.

The last litter of pups I had here, the pups were humping each other at 6 weeks old. I thought WOW thats a little bit early to be doing that sort of stuff. Maybe theres something to the fact some lines mature earlier than others.. :)

Both pink and Hamish still go to their mothers boobies as if they are trying to feed from her, she lets them. A couple of times while Hamish is making slurping sounds he has "humped" the air, I have told him to get out of it just to prevent him from taking it any further. Piper is happy with the attention and when she has had enough she will tell them off. They don't run together outside (only the girls do) unless I am with them but they all spend time with each other inside for a few hours before bed.

I haven't worried about them "feeding" from her - she doesn't have milk unless she has a phantom and I keep them away from her until she dries up. I have wondered if they still attempt to feed from her since they were weaned at 10 weeks old, I let Piper decide when to wean them since they had such a tough start in life. Pink and Hamish are now 2 1/2 years old.

When I was a kid one of my horses was successfully weaned around 7 yrs old. His mother had 2 foals after him and unless he was kept in a separate paddock for months after she weaned a foal he would bring her back in milk again. I clicked about him still feeding from her when we were on a trail ride. We stopped for lunch and he was put in a yard with a mare and he was bossing her around so he was removed. I have never seen him like that before but the penny dropped when I saw the mares owner again I asked if she had recently had a foal - yes, but the foal had been weaned and he could smell the milk from her and wanted a feed. When I spoke with the vet he told me to check his mother again and sure enough she was back in milk - he was just shy of 16 hh and she was 14.2hh. Even though I never saw him feeding from her - he must have been for her to produce milk after such a long time.

I just think they do it because they can.

I had a friend visit with her pups (4 months old) who decided that my oldest girl would do as a substitute mum and started suckling her. She stood there with a look of bliss on her face :) Loved puppies all her life - didn't matter whose they were.

The weirdest behaviour I've seen is my sons cat (called Mouse) suckling his ear as an 8 week old kitten. Now 15 months old still "hunts" his ears when he's trying to sleep. Last November I bought a new human baby home and she got so excited to see him and went straight for his ears too!! :D She got told off and doesn't go too close now but she's one strange cat but the type that lets the kids carry her around and wrap her up like a baby! :confused: So they love her just as much as sh does them! :laugh: