3 Questions

raineth

1. what do you do when your subject's pupil's come out so red that red-eye reduction can't fix the problem?

2. when photographing more than one subject, how do you get the focus points to go on everyone's eyes? is that even possible? if not what do you focus on instead?

3. I see many people here get the most amazing focus on their subject's eyes - the eyes almost pop out of the picture because they are in such detail. While i can get focus on the eyes I can't seem to get that to happen. Any tips for that?

thank you in advance for any help ;) :rolleyes:

1. what do you do when your subject's pupil's come out so red that red-eye reduction can't fix the problem?

2. when photographing more than one subject, how do you get the focus points to go on everyone's eyes? is that even possible? if not what do you focus on instead?

3. I see many people here get the most amazing focus on their subject's eyes - the eyes almost pop out of the picture because they are in such detail. While i can get focus on the eyes I can't seem to get that to happen. Any tips for that?

thank you in advance for any help ;) :rolleyes:

1 - reshoot and turn off the flash or move it away from the camera, if possible.

2 - have everyone in the plane of focus. This will vary with your aperture, distance and focal length. Using a wider lens focal length will help as the DOF for a given distance is more than with a telephoto lens. There is a thread in here from a week or two ago that has a ton of info and a couple of links to help.

If it's not possible, I concentrate on the most important eyes.

3 - don't forget you need to process your images for display. Most people will sharpen an image and that will help with the POP. Adjusting contrast, blacks and other things in post will also help. Starting with the sharpest lens you can and a sweet spot aperture and then go from there.

thank you in advance for any help :) :rolleyes:

1 - reshoot and turn off the flash or move it away from the camera, if possible.

2 - have everyone in the plane of focus. This will vary with your aperture, distance and focal length. Using a wider lens focal length will help as the DOF for a given distance is more than with a telephoto lens. There is a thread in here from a week or two ago that has a ton of info and a couple of links to help.

If it's not possible, I concentrate on the most important eyes.

3 - don't forget you need to process your images for display. Most people will sharpen an image and that will help with the POP. Adjusting contrast, blacks and other things in post will also help. Starting with the sharpest lens you can and a sweet spot aperture and then go from there.

wow! thank you so much Kja ;) that is really really helpful!

Regarding the red eyes, if you have an external flash you can 'bounce' it off the ceiling for example. I am by no means very knowledgable :o

I just took these to show what I mean and please excuse the mud on her nose :)

With the camera flash

DSC_0022.JPG

With an external flash bounced

DSC_0021.JPG

Wow that difference is amazinf Bianca!

Unfortunately I don't have an external flash :hug:

But I was talking to Mr Raineth after this and we're going to consider getting some lamps for the house which we need anyway, but hopefully will mean if i am taking a photo in the jouse some lamp lighting will help to reduce the need for a flash.

I have two members of the family with this problem. My daughter actually doesn't have any pigment in her retinas so if we sue a flash he glowing red eyes are spectacular and probably like nothing you've ever seen before :hug: and our dog with pale blue eyes isn't much better!

Edited by raineth

You would have quite the task then to photograph them together! :crossfingers: Lamps should be great, even desklamps would work. I think we need to see some examples of your beautiful dogs...please :thumbsup: I'm a lurker on the dane thread :crossfingers:

aww thanks :thumbsup:

I can do that!

experimenting056.jpg

064-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

thank you in advance for any help :):thumbsup:

1- The red eye is caused by the on camera (as in inbuilt) flash bouncing off the subjects eyes. In the image below you may not really see it but he does have a red eye reflection from looking straight at the camera when the on camera flash was used.

Ryan-Robbins2.jpg

If you cannot 'bounce' the flash or even just use one of those big flashes mounted on the camera (these have enough angle to usually avoid red eye) get th esubject to look slightly anywhere but at the flash. Otgherwise try and avoid flash - you can take photos down to about 1/40th of a second if you hold it really still and your subject stays still enough. The below photo was on 1/40th and ISO 2000

Ryan-Robbins-&-Chris-Heyerdahl5.jpg

2 - focus point

Use a decent DOF so allow yourself something like 4.5 or 5.6 any lower and you will have a very shallow depth of field (the photos above would have been no less than 4.5 aperture)

3. shallow depth of field but it only works if you are trying to get only the eyes in focus and the rest of the photo in soft focus - some images you see will also be photoshopped for effect.