Fresh Meat

Lemonlime

Hi all,

I feed raw and currently purchase my meat from a great shop in Thornbury but this is not proving very cost effective with 3 large dogs and another on the way.

The meat is a great quality and I buy it in 800g tubs but its costing me $10 a day to feed just the meat, then there is the added cost of VAN.

Also, am driving an hour and a half just to get this meat.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the western suburbs who sell a GOOD quality dog meat? I notice most in the pet stores are bright red and this worries me that they are pumped with preservative. I am feeding preservative free at the moment but would settle for a good quality meat with a minimal amount of preservative.

I feel like im walking in circles, I have looked everywhere for a reasonably priced, good quality meat for the dogs and cant find anything!

I am looking for beef, not chicken. I can get preservative free chicken mince very cheap, but dont want to feed pups on this all the time as it is 100% chicken frame mince.

I am out Sunbury way and would prefer not to drive too far as I like to buy weekly so that I am always getting fresh.

to add to grp 5's post... we were at a place that sells dog meat today and he was reccommended by a great breeder and the meat looks great but i was supprised to see it had blue dye... and also looked quite red.. could be super fresh though could be dyed...

This got us talking about whether or not it is actually possible to find human grade meat in bulk for a good price?? I can get most bones and what not but its the minced or diced beef/lamb/roo i am struggling with...

are our standards too high?? should we just be looking for the highest quality pet meat??

ET make sense

Edited by kirst_goldens

I don't think I spend $10 on a day on my own food :crossfingers:

Maybe try contacting Suz here on DOL (username isiss), who makes fresh dog food under the business name Fresh 4 Paws. My Melbourne geography leaves much to be desired, but I think she's on the other side of town to you. She may, however, be able to organise delivery to you or to a nearby dog club if she already has customers in the area.

I can do either just meat, or the barf mix as it is all made to order. No preservatives or dye as it comes from a human butcher (same butcher I purchase my meat for my family). I have replied to your email :crossfingers:

BM and Moops, thanks for the recommendation.

Possibly try Whitehorns Meats in Gap Road Sunbury. They have alot of preservative and gluten free meats available, they can be a little pricy but cannot fault the quality. Most butchers can tailer make for you if you give them notice.