What Do You Think Of This Rspca Ad?

SkySoaringMagpie

I'm not a breeder but I'm just concerned and I wonder if people see dogs in ads and then decide that’s what they want and not all those homes will be suitable for that breed. I know that it’s the responsibility of the breeder to screen potential owners but I think the demand can attract not so ethical breeders/puppy farmers to breed these breeds of dogs.

Edited by Fleuri

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me a really long time to remember who those Bankworld ads where for (ANZ, by the by!). It's a great strategy, but a shitty execution.

The RSPCA ad is purely for shock and novelty value and has nothing to do with the dog at all[/b]. They haven't used a cross-breed because there would be no gag. Now people are talking about it, and that's its purpose. They have the ad with the dear bandaged animals for adoption drives, and this Afghan ad is to promote and generate discussion. That's what viral advertising is all about.

I doubt it has very much to do with promoting the brand. And that's okay, it's just another component of the overall integrated marketing strategy.

So they are not selling anything not even an idea?

No, that's not what I mean. They are buying visibility and conversation, and probably making adopting a rescue dog "sexier", which is not a brand-specific message. It's a pretty risque ad for a shelter (or any charitable organisation) and that's a really quick and often cheap way to temporarily raise the profile of an enterprise, but doesn't generate lasting brand affinity.

The other thing about the ad is that it can easily be miscontributed to another brand due to the fact that they don't really push their brand name. As has been said, registered breeders are getting enquiries from the ad and I'd say other shelters would be too. It's not exactly an effective ad in terms of making their brand name stand out - if you want to do that you say the brand at the start and end of the ad (and the middle as well if its long enough), and preferably both visual and spoken. That's why the ANZ Bankworld ad doesn't work so well - you hear AND see Bankworld at the very start, but I don't think they actually say ANZ at all so you remember Bankworld and not ANZ.

Maybe they need to borrow the Rivers disclaimer "Your local store may have thousands or may have none" :)

I agree with what Aphra said dating agencies put the 'sexy' ones out there to get people in and although that may not be what everyone is after it gets them in and from there thay can see if there is anyone who suits them.

Advertising is all about getting people through the door, even if they don't purchase what has been advertised they may purchase something else or they may revisit in the future.

If RSPCA was to stand behind what they preach about welfare in dog breeding, they should have used afghans that have not been part of the pedigree dogs, have not been part of a closed stud book, have not bred to have physical extremes (like very long hair), and have not been bred to a show standard...

Then they should have used one of these dogs.

http://desertwindhounds.blogspot.com/2009/...fghanistan.html

(BTW I think the dogs on the link are just fantastic and I would love to have one!)

The type of dog they used in their ad (a pedigree dog) is the very type of dog they want the government to make laws about to prevent dog breeders from produceing them, yet they are the very type of dog they want to use when trying to promote themselves to the public.

Edited by shortstep

I get Angry every time I see this, firstly they want to abolish pure breeds, then they imply it's our pedigree purebreds in the pound. In reality.... it is mostly the miss begotton mutts from BYB. I include any purebred that is bred from unregistered or limited registered parents.

Do we know for sure that the dog concerned isn't from the SPCA? Because if it's been rehomed via the SPCA at any point in it's life, I'd say they were well within their rights to use it in their advertising, no matter who had originally been bred by or whether it had papers.

If it's a purebred dog that has never been through the SPCA, I see people's point - although I still think it's a clever advert.

A few points to remember...

The RSPCA do not make the laws

The RSPCA do not approve puppy farms

The RSPCA do not support puppy farms

The RSPCA support purchasing from reputable breeders

How is the longhair gene an 'extreme' feature? Sorry, but a dog with long hair who can still do what it was bred to do is a totally different thing to a dog who cannot walk properly because of its 'desired' munted legs, or cannot breath properly because of its 'desired' flat face, or cannot breed properly because of its 'desired' small size. I am all for registered breeders, but I've seen enough pedigree dogs to know that there ARE breeders who are NOT breeding for the betterment of the DOG.

A few points to remember...

The RSPCA do not make the laws

The RSPCA do not approve puppy farms

The RSPCA do not support puppy farms

The RSPCA support purchasing from reputable breeders

How is the longhair gene an 'extreme' feature? Sorry, but a dog with long hair who can still do what it was bred to do is a totally different thing to a dog who cannot walk properly because of its 'desired' munted legs, or cannot breath properly because of its 'desired' flat face, or cannot breed properly because of its 'desired' small size. I am all for registered breeders, but I've seen enough pedigree dogs to know that there ARE breeders who are NOT breeding for the betterment of the DOG.

The RSPCA do not make the laws.....no they enforce the laws and lobby hard to get the laws they want, by introducing bill, backing legislation and more, they are hardly innocent in this area.

The RSPCA do not approve puppy farms, who said they did? this has nothing to do with anything we are talking about, but I am glad you found something you admire in the RSPCA.

The RSPCA support purchasing from reputable breeders, Ok I'll play what is a reputable breeders and please use RSPCA links to support what you say, would like to see them say they support ANKC purebred dogs breeders.

Long hair, did you even look at the link I gave for what the native afghan dogs look like, they do not have what...8" long hair, the dogs in aphgan have hair about 2-3" long and they are smooth coated on much larger areas of their bodies.

Then read the whole link below and their remarks about breeding for extremes. The RSPCA UK pedigree dog welfare a 76 page report on the subject of welfare concerns in only the population of dogs bred by pedigree dogs breeders, and then come back and tell me that very long hair on an afghan is not what they are talking about. Read about pedigree dogs are not healthy, that they are highly inbreed and that they do not support the breeding of of dogs in closed stud books and so on and so on all presented as if it is a crime and no mention that tyou can find this or worse in any other groups of dog breeders, yet the only grouped of named as bad dog breeders are those breeding pedigree dogs. Please take some time to read and then ask yourself why they want to use dramtic dos like the afghan if they really believe it is cruel to produce that dog under the pedigree format in the first place.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?...application/pdf

Edited by shortstep

Two more ads with Afghan Hounds:

Audi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3snyXTNmFm8...player_embedded

Phillips Sonic Hair Straightener:

:) love the audi ad!

LOL I agree Audi is great.

This is my fav recent pedigree dog commercial

Go pugs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpjaOUjUPUc...feature=related

:):):) That's not fair I've had three kids my bladdder can't take that!!! :)

It's silly.

They should feature dogs that are in the RSPCA at the time of shooting.

Say, they use a kelpie x cattledog (or something like it).

Then people will go to the shelter knowing what they get, not expecting an amazingly groomed Afghan.

Silly RSPCA.