What Do You Think Of This Rspca Ad?

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they use so many obviously purebred dogs in their ads? They are even using purebred dogs with extreme anatomical features???

Maybe they need to review their own statements about 'responsibility' and purebreds, then ask themselves why they 'use' purebred dogs with anatomical extreme features to promote the RSPCA.

http://www.rspca.org.au/how-you-can-help/c...-questions.html

Maybe they need to review their own statements about 'responsibility' and purebreds, then ask themselves why they 'use' purebred dogs with anatomical extreme features to promote the RSPCA.

I assume because the purebreds are more attractive than the poor old generic brown heinz dog who is more representative of the dogs you find looking for homes in shelters and pounds. Personally I thought it was opportunistic, I know people with rescue Afghans and have sprung one from a pound and they did not leave the shelters looking like that. Your average Joe has no hope of making the transformation from matted/clipped off scruffy looking Afghan Hound to what you see in that ad without a ton of help from an experienced mentor.

When I first saw the ad a few days back I thought , Yeah sure!... you're not going to get a purebred perfectly groomed dog from the RSPCA. I have seen very, very few that even look purebred. I don't like the ad. It feels too deceiving.

I would imagine the marketeer, and the advertising company they use, are pretty removed from the welfare side of the RSPCA beliefs.

i agree but the rspca do have to sign off on the campaign so they have final say.

eta snap ssm

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I would imagine the marketeer, and the advertising company they use, are pretty removed from the welfare side of the RSPCA beliefs.

Agree, tho' the RSPCA would have had to approve it?

i agree but the rspca do have to sign off on the campaign so they have final say.

eta snap ssm

Yes, a marketeer for the RSPCA would have approved it more than likely and the welfare strategies may not have been in their field of vision. The two grousp would look at things a little differently and the RSPCA is a very large organisation overall.

Who knows though, we can all only assume. :thumbsup:

When I first saw the ad a few days back I thought , Yeah sure!... you're not going to get a purebred perfectly groomed dog from the RSPCA. I have seen very, very few that even look purebred. I don't like the ad. It feels too deceiving.

+ 1

I think it is hypocritical of them to criticize purebred dogs, then turn around and use them to advertise their own animals (very misleading also as SSM said).

Yes I feel a bit the same way, it's misleading and appropriates the exotic looks of the Afghan Hound to promote an entirely different dog 'product'. A lot of careful breeding is behind that beautiful pure breed, but you don't hear the RSPCA giving that credit where it's due.

I think they would actually be better off using a normal dog from the shelter for their ads. It might not be the most attractive dog, but those are the type of dogs that inspire sympathy, and the more pathetic they look, the more people will think 'I want to resuce that dog'.

I perfectly groomed purebred dog might appeal to some people, but for the great majority I think it would be better to make them want to rescue a dog, rather than 'ooohh I want that gorgeous looking dog'

I'm not an advertising guru but I don't think these ads are meant to be taken too literally - its brand promotion and not specifically "product" selling.

If the dog is beautiful and memorable it sews the seed that "the RSPCA has dogs for rehoming". I don't expect to see that dog there when I go but I do know they will have dogs for sale.

I know for a fact that tossing an ugly boyfriend in a Tassie river is not sadly going to make him George Clooney but I can remember that these are Boag's beer ads. :thanks:

The RSPCA is pitching to potential dog owners more than die hard dog tragics like we forum members.

Fuzzy:

I think they would actually be better off using a normal dog from the shelter for their ads. It might not be the most attractive dog, but those are the type of dogs that inspire sympathy, and the more pathetic they look, the more people will think 'I want to resuce that dog'.

That pitch only works on people who are motivated to 'save' dogs and there is evidence that continued pitches of that kind cause folk to simply tune them out. People can reach sympathy overload. Its precisely that effect that caused savvy charities to come up with themes to get people to reopen their wallets. Red Nose Day was one of the first and most successful campaigns. Most people probably couldn't tell you what charity it supports. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Hey guys, it's advertising...all they care is that you remember the ad was about adopting a blonde..or speed dating or something like that at some place called RSVP I think?????.

Where's my beer? :thanks: