The Influence Of Breeders?

miava

I am currently involved in something of a discussion with a few friends in regards to the influence of breeders on puppy buyer's future behavior. I personally think most puppy buyers remain quite loyal to the breeders recommendation especially regarding feeding etc, but I am interested in other peoples thoughts :thumbsup: Feel free to list your poll response as what you have done, or what you have known your puppy buyers to do. Thanks!

____

I don't think my poll is working, but these are the options I had :thumbsup:

"How loyal are puppy buyers to breeder's advice on diet?"

a) Very (kept puppy on breeder diet for entire lifespan/plan to)

b) Somewhat (generally kept puppy on breeder's diet, but with some modifications/additions to suggested diet)

c) Hardly (changed diet almost right away/open to and took diet suggestions from vets, pet retailers, other advertising)

B) Somewhat lol

Most of my dogs i have altered their food after bringing them home, 1 i wasnt told what they fed their puppies..!! 2 i kept to watch their breeder was feeding and changed over to what i was feeding and preferred and One i place on puppy food cause it breeder was feeding it adult food...

Then there was the pup that came home with the diet sheet.... If i had stuck to it... I would have had a very fat puppy :cheer:

For me personally, I chose C, as I wasn't happy with the food my breeder had the puppy on.

My breeder was feeding the pup weetbix & puppy milk for breakfast, canned food & pal dry food for the other meals, which I wasn't to keen about.

I slowly changed my pup to 50/50 premium dry food (Advance ) & raw meat combination, with added foods like yoghurt & raw eggs & raw chicken necks & wings a couple of times a week.

I weaned my first litter onto a similar diet last year, & from the 4 puppy owners that have kept in contact with me only one of them has partially changed the diet (changing the dry food from the Advance I feed them to Royal canin) but they are still feeding all the other foods that I started them on. All the others are still following the exact same diet. :cheer:

I thought I would add, that it might be a good idea to put this question in general aswell, as you will probably get a bigger response from more puppy buyers there, as only breeders can post in here.

Edited by Baileys mum

I raise my puppies on a natural diet. Unfortunately a number of my puppy people have switched to dry food only at the recommendation of their vet. :):(:hug: Despite me telling them alot of vets will try and push dry food onto them, they still went and did it. Very disappointing and frustrating.

I think most people feed their puppy what they want & there is nothing the breeder can do about it.

I always advise that people feed their puppy what it has been used to, as per the diet advice sheet that is given to them.

This is for the 1st few days in the new home to avoid stress tummy upsets. Then when puppy is settled to introduce new foods slowly, mixing in with the usual & gradually replacing with what they prefer.

I always try & do this with any puppies or dogs I bring in here too. If the diet is crap IMO I still feed the crap & gradually change over. Hard but is better for the dogs tum. Instant change of diet & environment may be a bit much all at once.

Once it is their dog you can't really dictate the diet.

Edited by Christina

With my buyers I'm not going to dictate to them what they should be feeding, because I know it will likely change anyway.

What I will provide them with is a list of what they have eaten and are used to eating, and information on gradual changing of the diet. I've also ordered the Advance puppy packs which they will start eating from the ones I'm keeping before they go to homes so they have a supply of what they're used to.

Well I am a breeder and I don't feed puppies on puppy food after about 8 to 10 weeks of age. :eek:

Far to much protein in puppy food for some breeds. :)

It's better to grow them slowly on adult food, along with a natural as possible diet of raw meaty bones. :laugh:

Well I am a breeder and I don't feed puppies on puppy food after about 8 to 10 weeks of age. :eek:

Far to much protein in puppy food for some breeds. :)

It's better to grow them slowly on adult food, along with a natural as possible diet of raw meaty bones. :laugh:

Agree, and that is exactly what I do and educate my buyers about. Have been doing this for about 12 years now.

All the reserch is pointing to really good results in reducing severity and even possibly controlling HD with a slow growth diet, lower protein and lower calcium.

I think the most important thing is to ensure buyers understand that any changes they make should be done.....g r a d u a l l y! Or they will have to deal with an upset tummy.

Even if they feel the change is for the better new food should still be introduced slowly.