New Puppy At Home

Theresadn88

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me with my 8 week old Toby and his bed. I've got him a temporary kennel/crate (soft one) that I don't think he accepts as his bed now. He only came yesterday and I try to coerce him to go in with his toys (which he has at times) and I gently close his door. and I tried to feed him and treat him in there. The only issue is he's not very food motivated, he must be adjusting to his environment and not feel comfortable eating (that's what both my breeder and vet say). But he does take his liver treats better.

He did sleep in the soft kennel last night with a toy in there with him but of course after crying for a while. Right now he's in his playpen, the soft crate is in there as well as newspaper in a corner, water bowl and toys and he chooses to sleep on the floor. How would I start getting him to associate his bed as his bed - place to be comfortable and sleep.

This is also a concern because I want him to associate this kennel as his bed and that means NO POOPING AND PEEING IN THERE! but if he just sleeps on the floor and is coereced to sleep in his kennel, will he know that the kennel is his bed?

Maybe have a read of this site? CLICK HERE There is a lot of useful stuff :(

meanwhile... he is a baby, everything is new , and there are no 'quick fixes' :D

I would however suggest you not close the door yet ..let him get happier with his bed first :)

Yeah fair enough :) I won't close the door on him yet, also how do you get him to want to play with his toys. he's not very motivated to play with them without me there

Its really hot over there at the moment, isn't it? Perhaps he is just looking for a cool place to sleep.

My pup had a bed in one half of the crate and chose to sleep on the steel floor. Now the heat has passed here (brrrrr its now only 20 degrees) she chooses to sleep on the bed.

Edited by Jakemon

how do you get him to want to play with his toys. he's not very motivated to play with them without me there

he is a tiny baby .

he is used to playing with other dogs.

he is a baby

he is not used to playing alone.

he probably hasn't seen many toys like the ones you have :(

Patience.............................. you have 15 or so years for him to learn stuff !!

Oh..and after I saw where you were :( I agree with Jakemon. he is probably hot! let him sleep on teh floor if he sleeps soundly there :) A soft crate would be very warm... body heat reflected back ,bedding, not much airflow..lovely & cosy for Wintertime, but not ideal for your temperatures....

Oh..and after I saw where you were :( I agree with Jakemon. he is probably hot! let him sleep on teh floor if he sleeps soundly there :D A soft crate would be very warm... body heat reflected back ,bedding, not much airflow..lovely & cosy for Wintertime, but not ideal for your temperatures....

Yeah good point. I tried some stuff and he likes it enough now. Which is good but still prefers the floor :D. And Persephone you're right that he IS just a baby. I'm just scared he doesnt enjoy my company because he cries in the playpen and when he's quiet I go to him and at times let him out and we play, but he's not interested and almost seems sad... :) this just makes me sad.

He's in his playpen at the moment and he just looks sad :) I'm hoping to get him to like his toys soon because I go back to work on Tuesday and I just don't want him miserable all day long.

I'm gonna start my puppy preschool tomorrow so I hope things get taught to me there because I feel he's just not enjoying himself but it is only day 2.

I am in WA and my puppy only came home last week. All he did for the first couple of days was sleep, eat and toilet. He wasn't that interested in eating much or interacting with us or his toys. He liked his bed but I don't think it was his favourite place in the house but NOW, he LOVES his bed, he plays with us (fetch is his most favourite game of all) and does all the 'normal' puppy stuff. :) .

And even though he does love his bed, on occasion, during the day or evening when he is asleep, he will sneak out and lie on the floor of his play pen to sleep in the cool, then once he has cooled down, he'll get back into his bed. At night, he is locked in his crate which I put on my bedside table next to my bed and I have noticed that if he gets too hot, he will lie across the front near the door to get the cool breeze of air con OR he 'digs up' the bedding and sleeps on the cool plastic floor of the crate until he cools down.

The first couple of days home is a big adjustment for pups but once he learns he is now in his forever home, he will fit in nicely.

My pup starts pre-school tomorrow, too

I am in WA and my puppy only came home last week. All he did for the first couple of days was sleep, eat and toilet. He wasn't that interested in eating much or interacting with us or his toys. He liked his bed but I don't think it was his favourite place in the house but NOW, he LOVES his bed, he plays with us (fetch is his most favourite game of all) and does all the 'normal' puppy stuff. :) .

And even though he does love his bed, on occasion, during the day or evening when he is asleep, he will sneak out and lie on the floor of his play pen to sleep in the cool, then once he has cooled down, he'll get back into his bed. At night, he is locked in his crate which I put on my bedside table next to my bed and I have noticed that if he gets too hot, he will lie across the front near the door to get the cool breeze of air con OR he 'digs up' the bedding and sleeps on the cool plastic floor of the crate until he cools down.

The first couple of days home is a big adjustment for pups but once he learns he is now in his forever home, he will fit in nicely.

My pup starts pre-school tomorrow, too

Thank you Aanie! Hearing that makes me VERY happy. He's just so sad and not eating etc at the moment. He does still follow me around and has moments of fun, but not quite the 'puppy' we normally hear about. I always knew there was light at the end of the tunnel but it just helps to hear a similar story turn out well.

Your puppy sounds very cute :eek: and clearly knows how to look after himself (temperature wise). Good luck with pre-school tomorrow. I can't wait to start!

We've got 2 puppies, 1 month difference in age and have had the first one for 2 months now and the second one for a month now... when we brought them home both of them just slept, alot, and didn't play too much, they never slept in the bed, but I'm from Darwin and it is always really hot here so I didn't think too much of it. Both of ours cried and whinned alot too, but it really is just normal, they had littermates before us, they had different familiar sights and sounds and then they came to us and of course they didn't know anything... I can tell you now though, one month and two month on from having them, these puppies follow us around, play ALL the time :laugh: sleep in their beds and do all the normal puppy things... Just give your puppy a chance, as others have mentioned, have patience, I remember feeling the same about our pups, thinking they weren't interested in me etc but its just an adjustment for them, before you know it you'll come home from work and your pup will be sooo happy to see you and will just want to be around you, playing etc

We've got 2 puppies, 1 month difference in age and have had the first one for 2 months now and the second one for a month now... when we brought them home both of them just slept, alot, and didn't play too much, they never slept in the bed, but I'm from Darwin and it is always really hot here so I didn't think too much of it. Both of ours cried and whinned alot too, but it really is just normal, they had littermates before us, they had different familiar sights and sounds and then they came to us and of course they didn't know anything... I can tell you now though, one month and two month on from having them, these puppies follow us around, play ALL the time :laugh: sleep in their beds and do all the normal puppy things... Just give your puppy a chance, as others have mentioned, have patience, I remember feeling the same about our pups, thinking they weren't interested in me etc but its just an adjustment for them, before you know it you'll come home from work and your pup will be sooo happy to see you and will just want to be around you, playing etc

I love all this reassurance I'm getting. Yeah he's a very calm and collected boy. Except of course when I leave the room and he's in the playpen haha but I'm getting used to it now. And I think he is too, crying a little less each time and settling down quicker. This morning he even played with his squirrel without me touching it first! Soooooo HAPPY! hahaha

I wouldn't stress too much about the pup not using his bed. Our puppy is the same. He has been with us for over a month now and most of the time he sleeps on the floor next to his crate. It took him a couple of weeks but he has learnt to only eliminate on his puppy pad when in his pen. He has never eliminated in his crate so don't stress about that. We have had a cold change these past couple of days and he has started spending a lot more time in his crate as a result.

We actually leave a big ice brick wrapped in a towel for him on hot days and he lays on that to keep cool (you can buy the 2L ice bricks from Bunnings which you fill yourself. The prefilled ones have anti freeze which is no good if puppy decides to chew it)

As for all the other stuff. Don't stress, he is just settling in. Our puppy was the same. They will cry when you put them in their crate / pen. For the first week I used to put on the ipod when I went to bed to block out his cries. After that first week or so he stopped crying when we put him in his pen and now he usually spends his time sleeping and playing in his pen. Even sometimes when the door is left open.

i trained my puppy with some treats,

put her in the bed and said "bed" then walked away and told her to "come" i did this back & forth a few times a day with her training and it works now really well, i tell her it is time for bed and away she goes