Referances Are Required

Fleuri

When I became a MDBA member I went through an approval process and because of that the MDBA will write me a reference stating that I am one of their Responsible Pet Owners.

I can use this reference if I want a puppy from a breeder who requires a reference or if I need to rent a property and need references for the dog.

Of course, should I want to buy a puppy from a MDBA breeder then they would know my credentials :cry:

so if a breeder wanted more from you, you would or wouldn't provide it? For instance, your being a MDBA member means very little to me, I'd want to know about you not just what clubs you are a member of.

A very common reference is a Club membership. Not just for getting puppy but for almost anything you might give a reference for, like getting into Uni, even some banks for home loans take Club memberships as a reference and so forth. No where did she say it was the only thing needed. Lighten up please.

I wasn't asking you, so don't tell me to lighten up. I asked a valid question. Membership of a club tells me nothing about how a person might treat/care for an animal. Lots of clubs you only have to tick the boxes and pay a fee.

The MDBA asks all members to agree to a Code of Conduct so you would know a lot more about me than someone who did not agree to a Code of Conduct.

You can view the Responsible Pet Owner Code of Conduct here http://www.mdba.net.au/component/content/article/51.html

no it's tell's me you said you would abide, not that you actually do. And it's the generic "you", not actually yourself.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of club membership (as in your first statment) which might tell me more about them and (as in your second statement) how they might treat animals.

If they belong to the AVA then I would assume they would make sure their pet had good care.

If they belonged to the Pick a city or breed Animal Rescue group and were an active member then I would assume they would not dump their pup at the shelter and so on.

Sometimes club membership can be a very good indicator of what people hold dear and important to them and what their values are.

Just wanted to add, Club membership in a dog club such as ANKC or MDBA would indicate to me that they are invloved in dogs as a part of their their life.

I know a vet whose dog was a regular visitor to the pound. I belong to the SA Whippet and Greyhound club, which is the nearest thing to a breed club greyhounds have, and am known to 2 members only, who have never been to my house. There are good GSD breeders who are not a member of the GSD club, there are plenty of other good people who are not members of their breed clubs either.

So being a member of such and such a club is not a big deal to me. My son-in-law was so excited to recently get two MCG members to sign their names for him to apply for membership. They are fellow work mates, he has just started there, certainly has not been there long enough for them to really know him. My SIL was going to get them to sign the forms for my daughter as well, they have never met her.

I was looking at a breed site the other night and saw some dogs I really fancied. Some of the requirements for purchasing a pup were quite stringent and personally I have no issue providing references at all. However, I did baulk at some of the contract conditions surrounding ownership of the dog. I understand the Breeders reasons for the conditions, but I'm just not comfortable with it.

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02

When I became a MDBA member I went through an approval process and because of that the MDBA will write me a reference stating that I am one of their Responsible Pet Owners.

I can use this reference if I want a puppy from a breeder who requires a reference or if I need to rent a property and need references for the dog.

Of course, should I want to buy a puppy from a MDBA breeder then they would know my credentials :thumbsup:

so if a breeder wanted more from you, you would or wouldn't provide it? For instance, your being a MDBA member means very little to me, I'd want to know about you not just what clubs you are a member of.

A very common reference is a Club membership. Not just for getting puppy but for almost anything you might give a reference for, like getting into Uni, even some banks for home loans take Club memberships as a reference and so forth. No where did she say it was the only thing needed. Lighten up please.

I wasn't asking you, so don't tell me to lighten up. I asked a valid question. Membership of a club tells me nothing about how a person might treat/care for an animal. Lots of clubs you only have to tick the boxes and pay a fee.

The MDBA asks all members to agree to a Code of Conduct so you would know a lot more about me than someone who did not agree to a Code of Conduct.

You can view the Responsible Pet Owner Code of Conduct here http://www.mdba.net.au/component/content/article/51.html

no it's tell's me you said you would abide, not that you actually do. And it's the generic "you", not actually yourself.

I understand what you are saying. I do think that because I have said I would abide by the Code of Conduct that it gives you an idea that I take owning a dog seriously.

I think the MDBA membership is another way to show that my dogs are important to me and the same as it would when I tell you my dog has been to dog obedience to level 5.

Two different memberships that give you an insight into what I am like as a dog owner.

I would assume that you would also want to talk to me to make sure I could answer any of your questions in an adequate manner.

[i know a vet whose dog was a regular visitor to the pound.

I am not surprised to hear that, in fact I expected you to say you knew a bad vet.

why? I don't think he is a good dog owner but he is actually good at his job.