Help With Fly Bitten Ears

My friends BC has really bad fly bitten ears. Seems to be attacking the short hair BC not the long hair BC. She is using the spray but not doing anything.

Is there anything people can recommend, or things she should not do? The flies are actually sticking to the poor darlings ears and having to literally be picked off the ears.

Any ideas I would love to pass on to help her out.

Sorry if this has been done before did a search and nothing came up. If there is a thread feel free to send it to me.

Thanks heaps.

:wave:

The best thing i found to use was Advantix - my GSD's are fluffy and a lot of the creams and strapsy either had to be put on several times a day or did yucky things to their ear fur. But the Advantix worked perfectly - just use as normal as if for fleas and it's all good :wave:

I love Vet Basix antiseptic fly repellent cream .... my guys had really bad fly strike and this was absolutely fantastic.

I was bathing the crusty bits (dried blood) off the ear and smearing a little bit over the area and it cleared them up really quickly.

I had to also pick the sticky little buggers off while trying to bath the ears - the flys were in plague proportions that year ... I got in early this year with fly tapes, automatic sprays around the veranda and fly traps (the smelly ones) around the fence line.

Edited by Tilly

I'm using the repella on my dog - forgot to put it on Monday (as it was cold overcast day) and felt SOOOO guilty later that night because his ears had had a good going over :cry:

When I had a guest dog here I was putting repella on his ears as well, but he never got bitten - the vet told me my dog was allergic to the fly spit and thats why he got all bleedy and red and then that attracted more flies. That might be the reason why one is being bitten more than the other.