Routine Worming And Flea Preventitive

mushka

Hi, I took my puppy in for her puppy vaccination and got a bit overwhelmed with flea/worming options.

I chose Sentinel chewables to cover everything but I think the vet preferred the yearly heartworm injection and separate worm and flea treatments.

So, what does everyone else do? Do you use preventatives or do you treat if you see evidence of a problem? Do you treat for heartworm in winter? Do you use monthly heartworm treatments monthly or on a 45-day cycle?

my vet told me just to use the treatment we were using (revolution)rather then the injection, but i am think about changing to interceptor as we don't have fleas and seems to cover everything.

Hi, I took my puppy in for her puppy vaccination and got a bit overwhelmed with flea/worming options.

I chose Sentinel chewables to cover everything but I think the vet preferred the yearly heartworm injection and separate worm and flea treatments.

So, what does everyone else do? Do you use preventatives or do you treat if you see evidence of a problem? Do you treat for heartworm in winter? Do you use monthly heartworm treatments monthly or on a 45-day cycle?

Most vets push the heartworm vacc. I'm not sure why? Perhaps they really do believe that it is the best option or have little faith in peopl keeping up a regular worming routine. Or perhaps they have another agenda altogether.

Personally I wouldn't touch it if you paid me. There have been known reactions (do a search both here and Google) and deaths. It has been withdrawn from the market overseas. It's also not recommended to be given at the same time as other vaccinations.

Re your original question we use Interceptor (same as Sentinel but without the flea component), given once every 6 weeks. it is safe to give every 6 weeks and states this on the pack - monthly is easier for people to remember though.

Sentinel only stops the fleas from breeding (makes them sterile I think?) so it's good for that little extra protection if your dog picks one or two up, but won't treat a flea infestation.

As I've never had a problem with fleas I'd rather treat them if and when a problem arises. Plus it is one less chemical I am having to put into my dogs system.

Yes, I treat all year round for heartworm, being that we are in a high risk area. If I lived in a colder climate I would not though.

I do like Interceptor/Sentinal as they treat for all worms including hydatids, plus they are reasonably priced. Personally I'm not a fan of spot-on's.

Another option is to treat for heartworm monthly + intestinal worms once every 3 months. There are combo packs available for this too.

I hope that helps somewhat and hasn't confused you even more. :banghead:

I do heartworm on a 45 day cycle usually but as it has been so wet with so many mozzies around I did do monthly over the summer months. I always treat for fleas and internal parasites seperately. I did uses frontline for fleas yesterday only because one of my dogs had been at a house recently and it was discovered that the dog and cat there both had a lfea on them. I only treat for fleas on a need to basis. So it could be months and months in between treatments. I don't worm that often either, only when I think of it, about twice a year, maybe 3 times at the most.

SK - Not once has my clinic had a reaction from the HWI. Ive had my 4 dogs done every year for the last 10 years, one particularly is allergic and reacts to everything - but the HWI does nothing to her.

AFAIK - the aussie HWI is a different chemical make up to the US one that killed some dogs.

I use Advocate which covers fleas and heartworm. Its a monthly topical treatment. Additionally we give Proban when we go to a tick area.

Sydney has a flea plague and we tried a few products, this was the one that worked in our house. If we didnt have a flea issue I'd probably just do the once yearly heartworm.

Is your area bad for fleas?

HWI here for all the dogs cause I have too many coming in at different times to remember when everyone is due. I have had about 70 dogs have the injection and not one has had a reaction and pei are notorious for allergies.

Advantix fortnightly in summer for fleas and ticks. Monthly in winter.

Drontal or Popantel for intestinal worms once on arrival, once two weeks later and then every one is on a three monthly cycle.

I do agree though there are so many products on the market it can be very daunting trying to chose what is best for you and your dog.

SK - Not once has my clinic had a reaction from the HWI. Ive had my 4 dogs done every year for the last 10 years, one particularly is allergic and reacts to everything - but the HWI does nothing to her.

AFAIK - the aussie HWI is a different chemical make up to the US one that killed some dogs.

It's a personal decision but I would never take the chance. Unlike a tablet once that injection is in you can't get it out, the effects last much longer.

For those interested here is the product information for Pro Heart 6. This is the American product, Australia uses Pro Heart 12 with lasts for 12 months as opposed to 6. I will see if I can find the Aussie one too (has been posted here before).

http://www.drugs.com/vet/proheart-6.html

*ETA. I tried to copy and paste a little but it came out all funny. Best click on the link for info.

The warning section specifically states that Pro Heart should NOT be administered within 1 months of vaccinations.

Edited by SecretKei

I won't use the HWI (same reasons as SecretKei has said) and I don't like combining drugs so I use the separate products. I give Paratak for intestinal worms, HeartGard (not the "Plus" version) for heartworm and Advantage for fleas when necessary.

I'm not a big fan of the HWI and wouldn't use it. In saying that though, at our previous clinic nearly every dog was on this and we never saw a reaction to it. Obviously though it's hard to know whether things that occur later in life were as a result. Here, most use Sentinel and Interceptor and are very happy.

In regards to why Vets like to push it, I can't speak for all vets but one thing the manufacturer does like to remind us about is that you can only get the HWI from a vet, where as other products can be purchased from other sources - pet shops, online etc. So if put someone on an over the counter chew, you know that you might not get the income from them in the future, where as if you get them onto the injection, you know that so long as they keep coming to you, you will get the income for their HW treatment.

There are reactions and there are long term effects. Just because you cannot see an immediate reaction it doesn't neccessarily meant that there will be no long term effects.

How do you know that the HWI is not affecting her in other ways? ie her allergies and reactions to "everything" else. I'm not saying it IS, but the fact is that it's near impossible to determine that it's not.

Would not entertain yearly HW injection because of bad reports both in Aus and the US, my vet did suggest it but I declined and he did not push it, why take the risk. Suspected my girl had mild problem with Advocate so switched to Sentinel Spectrum. We are in a heartworm area, I have no problem remembering to dose monthly.

I wouldn't use HWI for my 2.

It's easy enough to give them sentinal once a month and frontline every 2 weeks for ticks.

thinking of doing this for my pooch. I am a bit wary about the injection to due to the reports I have heard.

We have been using the heartworm injections on our GSD's for about 6 years with no effects to date. I give monthly chewables to our young dogs until it is time for their first annual vaccination and then they have the heartworm injection at the same time.