Too Thin?

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of an idea. I just purchased a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy from interstate. She is a lovely girl and has some fantastic bloodlines so I'm really excited...

Anyhoo, I arranged transport for her and the transporter was REALLY surprised when I told him her weight. He thought she should be at least 4kgs heavier!

So what is the average/approximate weight of a 9 going on 10 week old female Rhodesian puppy?

Dals

Edited by OzDallyGirl

Guest english.ivy

Ask her breeder :laugh:

My male Pointer [similar sized/shaped breed] pup was around 8/10kg at 8 weeks old.

eta - a lot of RR I see [adults] at the beach are over weight!

I wouldn't worry too much, she's a grownig puppy. Just get the vet to check her all over on your next visit when she goes in for her needles.

Edited by english.ivy

I dont like numbers. Look at the dog - are her ribs/hips/spine showing? Does she have decent muscle coverage? Does she have a fat layer on top?

use your hands to feel the pup, if it feels reasonably well covered with muscle and some fat then it's the right condition. Considering the size variation that can happen within your breed I would say another reason not to stick to numbers. THat and many people seem to think RRs should be about 80kg and 6 feet tall as adults

Just curious - but what weight is she?

My GSD pup at 8 weeks was 6kg (dehydrated) ... so at about 10 weeks he was about 10 to 11kg. I would expect somewhere between 7 to 9 kg but realistically I would be looking at her body condition :laugh:

Edited by Tilly

Around 7-8 kgs.

My RR boy was only 3.5kgs at 8 weeks of age :laugh: . Definitely too thin.

I agree with Nekhbet - appearance is more telling than the scales. But it does help to have a rough idea of the norm.

Thanks for the replies. I think she may be too thin, but she is put together lovely and once I put a bit of weight on her she'll be a stunner.

I was just curious about what was average for this breed.

Edited by OzDallyGirl

Congrats on your new pup, ODG.

What is her parentage, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you would rather :laugh:. Or neither, if you'd rather that, lol. I'm just curious.

:grouphug:

Edited by Erny

Puppy weight at 8 weeks can vary a great deal depending on their birth weight as they gain a percentage of their birthweight each day. A really small puppy at birth will be much smaller at 8 weeks than a puppy that starts off at twice the size. My breed can weigh anything from 150g to 550g at birth and 3kg to 8kg at 8 weeks. Puppy size is absolutely no indicator of eventual adult size either.

Puppy weight at 8 weeks can vary a great deal depending on their birth weight as they gain a percentage of their birthweight each day. A really small puppy at birth will be much smaller at 8 weeks than a puppy that starts off at twice the size. My breed can weigh anything from 150g to 550g at birth and 3kg to 8kg at 8 weeks. Puppy size is absolutely no indicator of eventual adult size either.

Thanks, that's good to know. :grouphug:

I have a dobie.. similar kind of she was 5.7 at 8 weeks which is actually quite good at 11 weeks now she is 8.9... i think with bigger breed dogs its actually kind of good that they grow at a slower rate good for the bone formation or something.... some dogs may not have a lot of muscle definition until they are a few months old.. it varies, if your vet thinks shes ok thats all that matters... just monitor her..

Also I got worked up and went on to an american dobermann website where they were telling each other the weight of there puppies at 11 weeks.. so to compare I would convert lbs to kilos and see where I fit in.. for girl pups I was pretty high on the weight factor but then I read the follow up posts and most if not all of the smaller weights ended up being the right dobermann height and weight..

I popped into the dobermann thread and a breeder said a kilo for each week they were was a pretty good guide.. that is how I started to get worried, needless to say she looks in excellent health, my vet and breeder are happy with her and so am I...