Flea Control

Just reposting from last week to get a response before i go BACK to the petstore to buy:

So if I use Confortis (only killing adults), I will need an additional product (Sentinel Interceptor?) to control the reproduction from eggs lurking in the dirt?

Thanks! :rofl:

Is there some reason you can't use Advantage or Advocate?

Don't buy anything from the petstore or vet unless you are desperate. Buy it online - compare the prices at www.pricelesspets.com.au (not the only online website) and you'll see what I mean. There are others such as Vetsproductsdirect etc etc.

I'm in NSW and it takes only a couple of days to get stuff from Pricelesspets which is in Qld.

Don't buy anything from the petstore or vet unless you are desperate. Buy it online - compare the prices at www.pricelesspets.com.au (not the only online website) and you'll see what I mean. There are others such as Vetsproductsdirect etc etc.

I'm in NSW and it takes only a couple of days to get stuff from Pricelesspets which is in Qld.

Oh Ok I'll try on-line

Just some back-ground as i had posted this before but clarifying the comments...

Have used revolution with succes, but only lasts 2 weeks because Doggy swims plus washes X2(no soap) per day (resulting in a lower oil coat)

Switched to Advocate and it lasted ONE week. :rofl:

Wanting a tablet for a swimmy dog. I am a bit uncertain as to why I need to buy 2 products.

Cherio

Does your dog actually have/get fleas?

Advantix works on dogs that swim. It's good for a month for fleas apparently. ;)

Well I thought it must be allergy, BUT I SAW :rofl: one on her only a few days after applying the Advocate.

Vet said it's the dry coat, thought I would give a chew the go.

Looking at the web, seems the Confortis only does fleas and not Heartworm. Sentinel does both but I saw mentioned on DOL that you need something to knock the adult fleas as well with Sentinel???? That's why i posted my question.

P.S. having 2 cats also I need to get the buggers before they explode! (The cats are treated but don't swim :rofl: )

I bought the Green Comfortis online from Ebay - $54.00 with free shipping - that's the best price I've seen.

The advocate is probably still working. You will continue to see fleas as they appear through the lifecycle. We seem to be getting a lot of that expectation that all fleas will be gone the next day which just doesn't happen. Adult fleas you see are 5% of the total population, so you are doing population reduction and this will take quite some time.

If the flea is going slow enough that you can catch it- it's dying.

If you also treat the cats then that's great.

Hot wash and tumble dry all bedding regularly, put a flea collar in your vacuum bag.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

The advocate is probably still working. You will continue to see fleas as they appear through the lifecycle. We seem to be getting a lot of that expectation that all fleas will be gone the next day which just doesn't happen. Adult fleas you see are 5% of the total population, so you are doing population reduction and this will take quite some time.

If the flea is going slow enough that you can catch it- it's dying.

If you also treat the cats then that's great.

Hot wash and tumble dry all bedding regularly, put a flea collar in your vacuum bag.

Hey thanks guys.

I ended up getting Confortis etc online at priceless pets (never thought of ebay), and also the Interceptor for the Heart worms/other worms JUST IN CASE! Plus another lot of Revolution for the cats when i run out of Advocate (I don't think it works as well as Rev for the cats). They were great and only took 2 days to get here.

Bedding is cleaned and out in the sun (if there's any) each day.

Love my new floorboards!

Will use the Frontline spray when the ticks rear their UGLY heads again ):

:laugh:

Someone said to me that Comfortis doesn't kill the entire cycle but I had SERIOUS flea problems at my old house and I bought comfortis for the dog & Revolution for the kitten and BAM absolutely no fleas. Not one!! We were getting bitten in the house as they were throught he house.

I believe as this product is only so new they know they have created a bloody good thing but they don't want to advertise it kills everything until they are 100% sure.

All I know is I washed the boys bedding, sprayed outside, bathed them both, comfortis the dog, revolution the cat, vacuumed the house to get any eggs out of the floor boards and since 3 days after giving the boys this I haven't had a single flea since mid Jan and I am yet to give them any more flea stuff.

I have struggled with fleas for 3 seasons now using everything and anything on the market. :laugh: