Please Help

mumof5

My pup (13 weeks) keeps pooing on our deck - she is house trained - doesnt even need to go out at night anymore BUT I will take her to her 'spot' and sometimes she poos there but other times I'll bring her back onto the deck after waiting a while and 5 mins later she goes on the deck - she wees on command on the grass... but this pooing on the deck bussiness is driving me nuts!!!

All suggestions greatly appreciated :laugh:

Just finished re-toilet training a 17 week old pup after his 30 days in quarantine. For a while there, any concrete was fair game which was understandable.

What worked for us was that for the first 2 weeks, we kept him on lead whenever he went outside so that it minimised the chance of going in the undesired spot. If we weren't quick enough to avoid accidents, we relocated the deposit to the area we wanted him to go in and then used a product like Urine Off to clean the soiled area.

Relocating the deposit also relocates the scent and that is what attracts them back to the same area. A product like Urine Off not only cleans the soiled area but completely removes the scent that attracts them back to the area you don't want them to use.

Time and patience (okay a lot of time and patience) produced the desired result for us. Also, taking him outside by himself helped because if one of the other dogs was out there with him, he preferred to play rather than poo. Removing distractions speeded up the process!

Good luck.

Edited to add that we also acted over-the-top happy when he toileted in the desired spot and gave him all sorts of highly desirable rewards (Happy Treats rated the highest). This made toileting in the right spot light years more attractive than the concrete. As your pup is already house trained and will toilet on command, it would just be a case of positively reinforcing that toileting in the 'spot' is the best thing ever.

Another thing I read somewhere is that some dogs can feel vulnerable when toileting and something to consider is that she might not feel comfortable toileting in the area you want her to. A change in location could also be the answer.

Edited by Dxenion

This may or may not help you but this was my experience with my dog, I'm not an expert or anything. When my dog was a few months old her started to pooing in our outside covered pergola, it's like a covered hut thing in the backyard. I put a bucket of water down there, in addition to the other 3 water bowls I have around the place for him and he hasn't done a poo under there since, I don't know if it is because he doesn't like the smell of it near where he drinks or if it was just a coincidence but I did it when he started doing poos on the concrete behind the garage too so it might be worth trying for your dog. You probably already have water on the deck but just thought I would suggest it.

Get an enclosure eg. an ex-pen and place it in the area you wish the dog to use.

Put the dog in that pen when you take it outside to wee or poo - come back in 10 minutes and you will usually find the dog/pup has obliged by then.

Don't allow it to use another area - after a few weeks of this the dog/pup should associate the area with the deed!

Edited by Stitch

Get an enclosure eg. an ex-pen and place it in the area you wish the dog to use.

Put the dog in that pen when you take it outside to wee or poo - come back in 10 minutes and you will usually find the dog/pup has obliged by then.

Don't allow it to use another area - after a few weeks of this the dog/pup should associate the area with the deed!

This is a great idea!

This is a great idea!

Yep I did that with my litter of puppies last year. When they where about 6 weeks old I joined 3 play pens together on the lawn outside, put an old plastic dog kennel in it with blankets for pups that got too cold, put water & toys in it & put the pups out in it for atleast 3 hours a day when the weather was good. :grouphug:

This gave the pups the chance to get used to the outdoors, stretch their legs & get used to toileting outside on the grass...so I'm sure this can work for your puppy.

Good luck ;)