Many Schipperkes In Shelter

Guest CaptainCourageous

Guest CaptainCourageous

Last Thursday I was advised that 35 to 40 Schipperkes including 15 puppies had been submitted to the RSPCA Burwood shelter about ten days earlier. Yesterday I attended the shelter and they will now only comment on Schipperkes they have available for adoption.

Currently listed are:

Case Number 703462

Name Carter

Colour Gold

Age 3 Months

Gender Male (Desexed)

Case Number 703459

Name Captain

Colour Gold

Age 3 Months

Gender Male (Desexed)

Case Number 703460

Name Squid

Colour Gold

Age 12 Weeks

Gender Male (Desexed)

Case Number 703459

Name Pirate

Colour Gold

Age 12 Weeks

Gender Male (Desexed)

They are $285 each

The adults will be subject to the legislated temperament test. It's not clear how many shall get through. Those that do will be available at a cheaper price.

Please, if you buy one of these Schipperkes, get in touch with Schipperke Club of Victoria for help with it. Ditto if someone you know does.

CC

Edited by CaptainCourageous

Guest CaptainCourageous
Those gold ones available now, is it possible they're all from the same litter, similar ages?

Guess so, also presume non-black X non-black mating

Sounds like a BYB who couldn't sell them or couldn't be bothered to. :grouphug:

At the moment it's more important for us to consider the needs of the pups that will eventually get released from the pound, rather than lose energy on the originator.

CC

Those gold ones available now, is it possible they're all from the same litter, similar ages?

Guess so, also presume non-black X non-black mating

Sounds like a BYB who couldn't sell them or couldn't be bothered to. :grouphug:

At the moment it's more important for us to consider the needs of the pups that will eventually get released from the pound, rather than lose energy on the originator.

CC

Yes, very true.

Edit - I notice you mentioned non black x non black mating, does that kind of mating produce any kind of genetic issues, or just the high incidence of non black pups in a litter?

Edited by Paptacular!

Hi Paptacular, there are no health issues with mating a non-black to a non-black, it is only a colour gene as in Labs. The risk you run by putting non-black to non-black for several generations is that you weaken the pigment and don't end up with the black pigment which is required in our breed standard.

Hi

How do the breed travel and if ok would the RSPCA release for re-homing interstate, does anyone know?

Reason is I have an older tenant living in my area (I work in public housing) who has a rescue Schipperke who is his only friend companion and family, Scout is 12 years or possibly even older, he is a desexed male. As cute as and worships his master. I was at my tenants unit (with a garden) the other day and my tenant started talking to me about Scout's age and how he really doesn't know what he will do when Scout has gone as he will have no-one, he got really teary and I had to make him a cuppa and stop to have a longer chat as I did not want to go whilst he was upset.

I have been meaning to look into the breed and see if there was any way I can be ready to help out when Scout does go to the Bridge. My tenant is suffering from a permanent degeneritive spine disorder but Scout gets the best of everything.

Annie

I heard on friday that 40 skips had been serenderd in vitoria i couldnt belive it :) i know im in NSW but if there is anything we can do for theses dogs please let us know poor little things :)

Guest CaptainCourageous
Hi

How do the breed travel and if ok would the RSPCA release for re-homing interstate, does anyone know?

Reason is I have an older tenant living in my area (I work in public housing) who has a rescue Schipperke who is his only friend companion and family, Scout is 12 years or possibly even older, he is a desexed male. As cute as and worships his master. I was at my tenants unit (with a garden) the other day and my tenant started talking to me about Scout's age and how he really doesn't know what he will do when Scout has gone as he will have no-one, he got really teary and I had to make him a cuppa and stop to have a longer chat as I did not want to go whilst he was upset.

I have been meaning to look into the breed and see if there was any way I can be ready to help out when Scout does go to the Bridge. My tenant is suffering from a permanent degeneritive spine disorder but Scout gets the best of everything.

Annie

The breed travels magnificently as a rule, though these dogs in the shelter prior to re-training may be an exception. Maybe you could contact RSPCA Victoria direct? (I'll ask them to when next I'm there).

CC

Guest CaptainCourageous
I heard on friday that 40 skips had been serenderd in vitoria i couldnt belive it :laugh: i know im in NSW but if there is anything we can do for theses dogs please let us know poor little things :rofl:

Yes, tell as many people as you know in case some can provide a good home to one or two.

CC

Sounds like a BYB who couldn't sell them or couldn't be bothered to. :laugh:

CC

I agree. But feel it is worth mentioning that if a good breeder died or got very sick without having made plans, even their dogs might end up having to be rehomed like this.

Forty dogs all at once, all needing food, water and exercise and care immediately? The RSPCA is well set up to handle that, if the transport can be arranged. And with the logistics of care out of the way, people like CC can concentrate on just getting the word out there.