Bitch On Co-ownership

pinkpuppy

just wanting to ask people, if I were to buy a bitch co-owned with the breeder, in the future would she have to sign any breeding papers for a mating?.....I know that this happens with sires and sometimes the second party refuse to sign stud paperwork, but can this happen with bitches?

Yes. You would need to have the bitch transferred into your name so that you can breed under your kennel prefix. This is usually done by a short lease and then the ownership reverts back to joint ownership at the expiry of the lease.

Joint ownership can be a minefield that you need to be prepared for to go pearshaped. I would never be in co-ownership with a bitch that was absolutely critical to my breeding programme, just in case. Having said that, I have been in co-ownership situations for years with people that I trust and have never had an issue.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Edited by Miss Danni

hmmm sounds too complicated too me! this bitch would be very important to my breeding program, esp since I'm just starting my own. I have another nice bitch from this breeder, but this pup has lines that arn't even in the country..... very hard!

The bitch must be in your name at the time of the mating, ie the name(s) of the people listed on the kennel prefix.

I have a bitch owned jointly with my husband but he is not on my kennel prefix. To breed her, he has to sign her over to me and when the pups are registered, I sign her back into both names.

hmmm sounds too complicated too me! this bitch would be very important to my breeding program, esp since I'm just starting my own. I have another nice bitch from this breeder, but this pup has lines that arn't even in the country..... very hard!

So you didn't breed the bitch someone else did and you're trying to decide if you will take her on co-ownership? Do you have trust issues with the breeder? Perhaps you should discuss your concerns with them?

Edited by Aziah

So you didn't breed the bitch someone else did and you're trying to decide if you will take her on co-ownership? Do you have trust issues with the breeder? Perhaps you should discuss your concerns with them?

correct, this breeder is very much set in her own ways, cant mess with it or your the worst person in the world, actually cant even have an opinion....but she has awesome dogs! The first bitch I bought wasnt under co-ownership, she is purely mine, but now I want another one, she says co-ownership only.

Well she's well within her rights to only place on co-ownership so you have to decide if it's a apth you wish to travel down...there are a mryiad of outcomes to co-ownership, only you can decide.

ETA: what are the terms of the co-ownership she's offering?

Edited by Aziah

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

For many it is a great opportunity and works well. All I can say is have everything in writing in the contract so that it works for both parties. It can work if all is clear upon entering into the agreement.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I would want to find out under what conditions the bitch would be available to me to breed from (and if the breeder is going to apply restrictions to the pups that are bred by me - eg who they can be homed to, whether the breeder wants any pup I keep to go into joint names with them or allow them to have breeding rights on that pup - these things do happen!)

Also who is responcible for paying for the health checks, who gets to have the first litter, chose the sire etc etc

I've had 2 bitches in co-ownership and lost both...

1st one I bought in co-ownership the deal was ishe was mine to show etc, the had final say on stud dogs I wanted to use and they got her bac for a litter, I sent her back for a litter which was supposed to have been leased back to them they took this opportunity to sign her back into their name. She came back to me after not producing a litter, I had the stud dog picked for my litter but my litter didnt take, so they refused to sign her back into co-ownership. They then took her again for another try to have a litter then got told I couldn't have her back and if i did i had to come up with some exuberant amount of money in 2days......

2nd bitch i bought in co-ownership, was to be mine fully after she had a litter for the breeder and had a contract written up, the breeder refused to sign the 1st contratc they drew up themselves and then completely changed the 2nd contract to suit them so i was to remain entirely in co-ownership for then life of the bitch and they had the the say on who i used... Then we had a fall out the threaten to put the bitch into limited registration (why cause they bred the dog) and they hadnt even sent me the bitches registration papers yet so i couldnt do anything about it... So i sent the bitch back...

Unless you can really trust this person who you are getting the pup from there is always a risk. And if you are in co-ownership when breeding the bitch the other can refuse to sign any paperwork making the litter non-registable...

I think the important thing is to have the contract drawn up and signed by both parties before the bitch is even chosen!! I have a bitch co-owened and have every email between myself and her breeder in a folder so there is written proof of the whole agreement.

I defiantly think it can work. I personally would do puppy/puppies back rather than sending a bitch anywhere which might make the situation a little more clear than a litter back.

It is the little things that can make a co ownership fail particularly when she is to be bred from. Who pays for what and where is the bitch to whelp. If with the breeder then how long does the breeder need her. Can you bear to part with her and if so for that long. I think it needs long and careful thought. Also a contract that explains every little detail.