Bloods For A.i

juliedamian

Hi guys,

My vet said that i get The first bloods done about day 6-7 after you see the first signs [vulval swelling, spotting, males wanting to mate] then the next test is done around 2-4 days later depending on the results. The insemination is done around 2-3 days after the progesterone concentration reaches approx 26nmol/l..

does everyone get the bloods done like that? cos i was thinkin i could just wait the extra couple of days an get the bloods around 8, 9 or 10 days seeing that the insemination is done even later..

We're waiting on her to come into heat she's a week over at the moment..

Hi guys,

My vet said that i get The first bloods done about day 6-7 after you see the first signs [vulval swelling, spotting, males wanting to mate] then the next test is done around 2-4 days later depending on the results. The insemination is done around 2-3 days after the progesterone concentration reaches approx 26nmol/l..

does everyone get the bloods done like that? cos i was thinkin i could just wait the extra couple of days an get the bloods around 8, 9 or 10 days seeing that the insemination is done even later..

We're waiting on her to come into heat she's a week over at the moment..

Frozen semen AI? Definitely don't wait - timing is critical and the window of opportunity can be very small.

Chilled semen I have no experience with but would think the timing is also important from the point of view that you have to get the semen there at the right time.

If you're going to spend $xxxxxxxx on inseminations then why save 50cents on blood testing?

Its not just the spike they are looking for, a good repro vet will want to chart the upward 'curve' to ensure correct timing.

We normally test on day two to establish a baseline, then about days five, seven, nine, and daily from there.

Frozen semen needs a much more accurate result - some repro vets will have the bitch stay 'in house' and test twice daily once they bitch starts to climb steadily in her bloods. and will do the AI at exactly the right time.

fifi

Not all bitches ovulate around days 10-14, some are as early as day 4 and others as late as day 26, so if you are doing AI you need to know exactly what is going on. Also once the prog levels start to rise they can be as fast as just a couple of days or longer than a week before hitting the required level.

Ok thanks for that i'll start it earlier then.. it is frozen too..

the main reason i asked was because the vet said it'd be better not to board her and its an hours drive to get there.. its not the money just getting the time off work at the right time i suppose.. I'd rather board her so they can do it each day or second day.. driving there every day or so will be a pain..

thanks for the help..

Some bitches go 'off' if they are stressed, so I'd only be boarding for the main couple of days where she is nearly ready, unless she is a very laid back kind of girl or used to boarding.

Myself and many people I know have that length of drive, its just part of the 'charm' of breeding, makes breeders extra 'special' !!! (our own yellow bus kind of special !!!!)

fifi

edited for spelling !

Edited by fifi