Bathing

Just picked up my current foster, he came from interstate by transport so i didnt see the vet, he badly needs a bath but he was only desexed yesterday. How long should I wait before I can bath him?

When I had Roman desexed I was told not to get him wet for the entire 10 days the stiches were in.

I think you can get a spray on deodorant type thing for dogs that helps with the smell of them. But I've never used one so I can't vouch for it

Guest english.ivy

I'd use a warm damp small towel and give him a sponge bath :D I normally stand them in the laundry as there isn't that much water run off. I do this when my Pointer is dirty and I can't be bothered bathing him. Also pretty sure I did it when he was desexed.

Bet he'd love that in this cooler weather.

Not until the stitches come out. Is he just a bit smelly or he is muddy etc? If he's just a bit on the nose I'd spray him with a bit of doggy cologne for in the meantime. Otherwise, you could just pat him down with a warm wet towel.

If you brew up some Calendula Tea and wet up a flannel with it. Rub the saturated flannel into his coat to his skin. It will refresh him, he'll smell fresh and the Calendula Tea has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities so, whilst you need to keep the stitches dry, if a little gets on the spot it won't do major harm.

Edited by Erny

I'd just bath him but keep the area where the stitches are dry.

I have had a couple of dogs in for grooming and it has only been mid bath that I have found stitches as the owners never mentioned the dog had just had surgery! Nothing bad happened because they'd been bathed.