Non Dog People Vent

dee lee

I am so sick of being the only dog person amongst my extended family and most of my friends. :p

Even my OH doesnt like dogs. :p (Though he is pretty good and supportive about Honey because he loves me. :( )

Its always like pulling teeth when I want to bring Honey anywhere- and I want to take her everywhere I can obviously.

I have to ask if she can come, I get the sigh and some times a reluctant yes (which leaves me feeling I shouldnt), sometimes an outright no.

Dont get me wrong, I respect everyone's feelings and don't force the issue, but for gods sake, it would be sooooo nice to feel like Honey was welcome. :rofl:

This weekend we are going as a family to visit my BIL in his new house which is in the country. It will be lovely to get out of the city and the kids will have a great time.

BIL has been kind enough to let Honey come, but has stipulated she cant sleep inside- she has to sleep on the enclosed deck.

So I will spend the whole time attached to Honey, and worrying about whether she is bothering my BIL, who would much rather she didnt come.

I cant leave Honey with someone else for the night because I dont trust anyone to do it. I do have a friend who does love dogs but she is quite clueless about stuff.

Its only one night and I'll survive, but I'm just sick of it.... Blaaah. :eek:

Tell me I'm not the only one?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, you aren't the only one......

I think Australia as a whole is not very dog-friendly (as in accepting dog in public places etc....) and that rubs off on the general public (or is that the other way around?)

A lot of my friends don't understand why I would want to bring a dog along, or even have a dog living in the city (because you know, dogs are meant to live outside)...

P.M. me if you need a baby sitter for Honey! (I am serious)

I do the opposite. I have told some of my friends not to bother visiting. They would not be comfortable in my house so I don't see why I should have to adjust the dog and cat routine for them. We just catch up for coffee or dinner either at their place(s) or cafes.

My family & friends have learned long ago that the dog comes as part of the package. I have a very few old, dear friends that aren't dog people so I sometimes leave the dog at home when I visit them, but I wouldn't pick new friends & I don't think I could have an OH that didn't like dogs.

And I can't imagine your dog is nearly as much trouble as mine is - she's highly trained but also big, energetic, & noisy. :(

P.M. me if you need a baby sitter for Honey! (I am serious)

Aw thanks, that's so nice of you! :p

She has a few "quirks" that make her a bit tricky to babysit- I think I would just fret too much if I left her behind! I'm such a worry wart :(

I'm hoping that I can turn it into a positive- there are horses next door so it will give me a chance to desensitise her (which then hopefully means she wont want to chase the SH police horses at Moore Park! :p ).

And the kids are very upset at the thought of Honey sleeping outside so maybe they can guilt my BIL into letting her in! :rofl:

Before I got a dog years ago, I mistakenly assumed everyone loves dogs. How wrong can you be???

I am now pleasantly suprised when I meet a fellow dog lover. Actually, that is one of the upsides I guess- we all seem to gravitate to each other, knowing how few of us there are!!

Edited by dee lee

It's easy. Don't go.

Not an option.

Dogs aren't my only interest, I am not going to dump my family and friends over it.

I just feel sad that this is the way it is.

I don't understand why people don't like/love dogs.

And the kids are very upset at the thought of Honey sleeping outside so maybe they can guilt my BIL into letting her in! :(

His house, his rules and you should respect them.

However, sleeping inside in a crate might be more acceptable.

Just like people who don't like/love cats :(

I think you're making this out to be far more difficult than it is. Your BIL has agreed to Honey coming to visit. Take a roomy crate with you and when you want to do something, pop her in there so you aren't worrying about her 'annoying' your BIL.

It all seems so simple, dont' make it difficult :p

I would have to say that Charlie and Emmy are welcome at my friends places even though they aren't dog people. Some have their rules like, they aren't allow inside or so forth, but I'm cool with that. With extended family, they are part of the family too... so they are expected to be at parties and gathering (unless it's formal functions and stuff).

I don't mind if my dog friend people bring over their dogs over to my place either... worries is that my current house is a lot smaller than my old house, so I can't have too many dogs over. Also I have to be mindful of my housemate now too (although she loves dog and doesn't mind).

I totally get it. Its his house, its nice of him to let her come.

If he hadn't, I wouldn't have gone because I would have had no choice but to stay home.

Its not about my BIL. This is just one situation. I am wistful for a time when I don't have to worry about it.

I have gotten to the point that about 99% of my friends are dog people.

I found it too hard to have people over at my house bitching at me about the dog hair, telling me I was being stupid to want to go home early instead of staying out all night after all 'they are only dogs', getting annoyed with me when I said I had a show on that weekend, having a go at me because I have 4 dogs and apparently that's weird and yet they have the same amount of children and I can't complain about that??? ect

I understand that not everyone loves dogs but I will not hang around someone who constantly gives me grief about my dogs and dog activites.

Love me, love my dog.

I feel for you. None of my friends are really dog people. but my family are, I'm the craziest one but my mum loves coming along to all Quinn's training, she reckons she gets a real blast out of watching us work together. And I'm so grateful I have people to vent about and talk dog issues with, BYBing, rescue, dog laws, BSL, training etc and we can all discuss it.

I am looking forward to meeting some more people really into training though, people I can spend time with that enjoy dogs as much as I do.