Importing Help Needed

oakway

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone has recently imported a dog from the States.

I have been thinking of getting one from there.

I have down loaded all the Import conditions but what do you do first.

Could someone advise me of what you do first in regards to the paper work.

When you find the right dog in what order do you things ?.

I was trying to cut the cost by doing it myself.

Cheers.

Find the dog first then get the Agent they use, to do it. If something is wrong in the paperwork, it turns into a nightmare. Someone else in my breed imported from another Rabies country and the paperwork was not perfect resulting in the dog having a very long and expensive stay in Quarantine - roughly 3 months. The Agent may be a good investment and take all the stress out of it.

Trust me, get the agent at their end to organise everything as I've seen first-hand how frustrating it can get when there are issues with the paperwork and it can turn into a nightmare. Yes it might cost you a bit more but honestly for your peace of mind its an easier path to take.

Hi,

Use the agent....much easier.........but also be aware that agents can sometimes make mistakes.........so get copies of all paperwaork and read it thoroughly especially the microchip number. If you saw Border Security last week the problem with the Pointer was the microchip number........a number was left off by the Vet in the US who did the Rabies shot, testing and certificate........so when the dog was scanned when it arrived the numbers were different............lucky AQIS figured what had happened and just re ordered a Rabies Test. It was also lucky the agent also scanned the dog and made note of the number.

If the breeder you are buying from is familiar with export permits and the rabies testing etc, some that export regularly have it down pat, its not really that hard. You will then have to apply for an import permit, you can save quite a lot of money by doing it without an agent, but you really need the exporter to know what they are doing regarding tests and permits etc..if they haven't exported before would be quite daunting but pretty straight forward. Good Luck

Agree with the others re the agent. But you have to find a dog first. BE CAREFUL photos can be deceptive I flew to the states to see my Canadian boy before I brought him here. As the breeder was relatively new at that time.The German boy was doing lots of winning in Europe and the breeder has a wonderful reputation.

Ask lots of questions, re pedigree and health problems , I was disappointed to find my gorgeous Canadian boy carries a gene for seizures, he is fine but has produced to 2 bitches out of 7. And of course no one knows where it has come from!!!!!!

Take time to decide do not rush

Margaret Trask of Fairsky Kennels imported a whippet a couple of years back. I would think she wouldn't mind letting you know who she used and what procedures she had to go through if you ask her. You can PM me and i will give you her number and email if you like. :thanks:

I have imported from Sweden & am currently in the process from Belgium. Two different categories in terms of AQIS requirements. The US is a category 4, as is Europe, and the timing of Rabies vaccinations and titre tests are vital....you also must ensure that you use a Government approved vet to sign off on the Cert A & Cert B. The category 4 countries take the longest due to the bloodwork & then the obligatory 5 month period post testing, so be prepared for a looooong wait...not to mention the 30day quarantine once in Australia. I used Jetpets for my Swedish import and was so impressed with the communication and organisation of Melanie, that I am using them again. YES, it is expensive to use an agent, but you will have peace of mind that everything has been done in accordance with AQIS requirements.....and not have your dog refused entry upon arriving into Australia!! They organise everything in conjunction with their affiliate agents in the country of origin.....the breeder is given a timeline for vaccinations, bloods, vet checks etc and the affiliate agent also keeps in constant contact with the breeder. All flights, import permits & even the booking of quarantine is done for you....I personally wouldn't risk doing it myself incase I missed something..

I just wanted to let you all know that I took your advise and managed to get a great agent in the USA

and whats more I found a great dog, errrrrr sorry bitch. :thumbsup:

Thank you all once again, and now the wait begins.

I just wanted to let you all know that I took your advise and managed to get a great agent in the USA

and whats more I found a great dog, errrrrr sorry bitch. :thumbsup:

Thank you all once again, and now the wait begins.

Can't wait to see her! :)

• 2 weeks later...

With the Australian dollar passing 110.10US cents this morning (02/05/2011), it works in our favour to be importing at the moment from the US.

Edited by wayrod