Leaving Puppy For A Weekend For The First Time.

kitkatswing

Hubby and I are heading to Perth this Friday for a swing dance event/weekend..

Maui is going to his "grandparents" on Thursday night and we will pick him up again Monday night on our way home.

This is the first time we have gone away without him and I am going to miss the little booger... I know he will be perfectly fine and spoiled rotton. But hes my first dog and I dont want to fret!

Does anyone have any hints on how you coped leaving your beloved pet behind ??

I know its silly and if I cry on Thursday night hubby is going to laugh at me!!!!

Just know that you've left him with someone who will look after him as well as you do, and it's only a few days :D We're leaving our two behind in June when we go away, and it's the second time i'll have left him in nearly 2 years :D I know he'll be spoilt rotten though and will be allowed to sleep on the bed without us around :eek:

I've just come back from a 7 week holiday. It was the first time my 17mo had been away from me for more than about 2 nights!!! Of course it was me who didn't cope so well at first (I think she was actually a bit upset I came home and my housesitters left!!).

But my friend who was looking after her for me sent me a daily email update of how she was doing for the first week, after then I really didn't have email access (Africa - unreliable internet!!), but I had found out that she was settled and more than happy!!

When I babysit for friends I usually send them a photo or 2 from my phone of cute things their fur babies are up to!!! Maybe ask the dogsitters to do this and only send them to you - hubby need never know!!!!

We are takign his kennel and inside/outside bedding over there :laugh:

As for photos, I dont think my in-laws would know how to use their phones to do that!!!

Thankfully its only Thursday - Monday... Its a good test as we have two more holidays planned, in June and in August!

I know he will be fine and Im just being a sook. :shrug:

I'm sure all will go well. I agree about taking the puppy's own bed & bed clothes. Also provide something that strongly has your scent on it. The owner's smell comforts a dog. One way is via an old unwashed t-shirt or rubbing the palms of your hands all over the doggie's toys.

It's a good idea to get a puppy used to going away to somewhere that becomes familiar. I'd even let puppy go for some random weekends with 'grans' now & again. Makes it easier for the times when pup has to go.

In 3 weeks I am going away to uni for 4 months!!!! Im dreading it as I havent been parted from my puppy before. My OH is a tad put out that I won't be missing him, but as I said, I can talk to him every night on the phone, I can't talk to my puppy! Ill be coming home every 2nd weekend or so, but not sure if that is going to make it even worse. At least you're only going for a few nights! lol

I'm sure he'll be fine and have a great time :laugh:

You should try to enjoy your holiday!

I know my dogs have coped really well with us going away; even in boarding kennels they have been fine. It is even better when you can get someone to look after them in their or your home.

When my pup had to go back to kennels for a week, I thought she'd sulk but apparently she was really well behaved and adapted to the routine really well and cheered up all the other dogs.

It is good to get them used to being away from you a bit.

Well we arrived back very late last night and didnt end up picking Maui up, hubby will go and get him this afternoon.

Although, I dont know if he will want to come home. Maui has my in-laws wrapped around his paws! He aprantly slept inside next to the bed the entire time, his "pride of place" was between my FIL's legs on the recliner and got taken on numerous walks throughout the day...

Oh and when we called to say our flights were delayed, MIL said they can look after him for a couple more days if needed!

I think he has had a very good time, but I cant wait to see him tonight when I get home from work :laugh:

I needent have worried at all!