5 Months Puppy Has Mucus On Her Poo

perla

She is five months old and we have her since she was 11 weeks. We noticed that her poo's become soft (not runny) and have strong odor during the past two weeks. We thought it might have something to do with food. Yesterday on her 1st poo of the day, the first few poos were firm but they got very runny at the end. An hour later she had to go again (normally she only has it once in the morning) and it's runny with mucus. Then the evening one is fine. The first few ones were firm and got a softy in the end. Today she's doing the same pattern so I'm getting worried. We have a vet appointment tomorrow but I just want to get opinions from here in the mean time. Other this, she seems fine....still play & eat as normal. I didn't change her diet and she's never had diarrhea before. Her diet includes grain free Candidae, goat milk (which I stopped giving her since Monday...although she's had goat milk since she was 14 weeks and had no problem), minced meat with rice, and 4leggs natural chicken balls (I alternative between these food throughout the week).

This is MO, and from simila situations including a recent one with our new little girl.

If the mucus is like clear spit (like someone just spat on the ground) this is usually the anal sac gland, and is good, it means the puppies system is doing its job. When there is an upset of some sort, sometimes the anal glands go out of whack (I foget the whole scientific version right now) and poduce more than neccessay of the "mucus", this too is normal. If the "mucus" you talking about is yellow o some othe colour, its something else.

Soft poos (mild diarhea/pudding poos/formed but moussy/soft formed) are usually the cause of some sot of tummy bug/upset. Has she possibly eaten something in the backyad o on one of her walks? As this is pobably the most likely case.

If she is still acting normal, and not dizzy/vomiting or lethargic, and its not watery squits poos, its usually nothing seious, but still should be checked out.

The usual thing to do as soon as something akin to this is noticed, is to first give the tummy a "rest" and fast her, usually ovenight is okay for tiny puppies, lager puppies and adults should be fasted fo upto 24hours, to rest the belly, someone here should have moe info on ages and how long.

Still provide water every 15 minutes, and keep a good eye on the poos, even something like eating hair of the carpet can get serious as the hair can get wapped aound the intestines/bowels? Please excuse any R's missing fom my typing as my keyboard needs a full clean lol.

After tha feasting times feed puppy 3-4 times a day, so small meals frequently, and feed rice & cooked chicken (no bones of course) I usually go the exta step and make it a bit moe stewy by adding fresh cold water and a touch of hydralite (or the doggy equivalent I think is pedalite?) but this is usually unneccessary, my dogs tend to be fussy to drinking any water when they are sick, so this just insures they still get hydration, me being sneaky! The chicken and rice is bland and good for stomach settling.

Once you have seen the vet, and if she says everything is okay, she will usually give you a timeline of when to evese back to the normal food. I find keeping a poo diay of exactly when they have done there poos and a big desciption of what it looked like (I usually poke and dissect it, to make sue no woms/hairs etc, gross, but helps) I don';t usually take this

notation" in with me, but writing it down helps me remembe it, and helps me give a good summay to the vet.

If the vet says its pobably a tummy upset, o similar after a couple of days, if the poo hasn't fomed up, you could ty a little canned pumpkin in its food, pumpkin usually helps with firming up the poos.

If I think of anything else, I will come back. Sending you good wishes xxxx

Thank you so much all4addy for your advice. She's been on fasting since noon and she's been a hungry pup all day till she slept in just now. She hasn't go no2 since this morning but I guess that's because she doesn't have anything left in there. I've been taking her to the dog park the past couple of weeks so she might have picked up something that upsetting he tummy.We'll see the vet tomorrow so I hope it's nothing serious. Thanks again so much for taking time to reply to my post!

The anal glands don't produce mucous - the mucous is coming from the large bowel. The colon produces mucous normally, but just not so much to be noticed. When the colon becomes irritated or inflamed, it goes into 'overdrive' and secretes more mucous than normal, and also occasionally blood. Many things can irritate the colon - a tummy bug, a food that didn't agree, a sudden change in food etc.

All4addy's advice was good. You can fast for 24 hours and then introduce something bland like chicken and rice in smaller amounts. But if it doesn't improve, it might be a bug which requires vet treatment.

Anal glands are basically there to produce a strong marking scent. So when a dog defecates, a small amount of the liquid is secreted and acts as a scent marker for communication :) Same reason dogs sniff each other's bums when greeting - their smelling their 'calling card'.

Edited by stormie

Thanks everyone. It seems the she's been fine since the following morning (after I fasted her for 20 hours). I took her to the vet still that morning and the vet said there's nothing to be alarmed since she's now better...just have to keep an eye on her. So we're thinking that she probably ate something off the ground while she was on the walk or at the dog park and that irritate her tummy. She still passes gas occasionally though...pretty smelly gas too!

Some times those leathery type dog chews will give them mucus too, as well as runny poos, it use to give it to our dogs when they ate them.

lablove