Staffordshire Bull Terrier Owners - Your Help Needed!

luvmypuppies

My 11 year old female cat passed away 2.5 months ago and as I am also a cat lover and have never lived without one, I would love to adopt another female sometime in the near future. I have a 6 year old female staffordshire bull terrier and a 5 year old male pug x cavalier, but it's the staffy I'm most concerned about. Knowing this is a breed not the most cat-friendly out there, do fellow staffy owners have any suggestions as to how overcome this hurdle? I am planning on allowing the kitten/cat to sleep in the laundry at night (please note this is not the dogs sleeping place) and am looking at building a cat run down the side of the house and blocking this off from the dogs. I would, however, like all 3 animals to eventually spend time in the house together. They don't have to be the best of friends, but some tollerance of each other would be nice. Help!

Maybe because the dogs were used to and tolerated a Cat that appears to have been there before them and they may not like a new one.

I had 4 cats well before my dogs came along and I now have 1 left as they have passed at 26 , 19, 7 and the one I have left is 15 my dogs tolerate her and she puts them in their place (gsd's) but when I bought home a new one I took it back as they continually tried to kill it. And as my dogs also have access to my house they would have eventually killed it I would think.

Was the dog OK with the last cat? If so, then why would the new cat be any different?

Thats my thought...my Golden is NOT cat friendly, she thinks they are amazingly fun chase toys lol, but she hasnt been raised with a cat, and has only met a cat on the odd occasion

My 11 year old female cat passed away 2.5 months ago and as I am also a cat lover and have never lived without one, I would love to adopt another female sometime in the near future. I have a 6 year old female staffordshire bull terrier and a 5 year old male pug x cavalier, but it's the staffy I'm most concerned about. Knowing this is a breed not the most cat-friendly out there, do fellow staffy owners have any suggestions as to how overcome this hurdle? I am planning on allowing the kitten/cat to sleep in the laundry at night (please note this is not the dogs sleeping place) and am looking at building a cat run down the side of the house and blocking this off from the dogs. I would, however, like all 3 animals to eventually spend time in the house together. They don't have to be the best of friends, but some tollerance of each other would be nice. Help!

My dog Luca is a rottweiler x staffy. I rescued him when he was about six months old (he's turning two this year) and brought him home to live with three cats and eight chickens. I was really worried that bringing my first dog home would really disturb the peace around here, but with a bit of patience and planning everyone has really surprised me. I made sure Luca had a big walk before he came inside for the first time, and that the cats always had somewhere to go which was 'their' space. I built two outdoor cat runs that only they have access to via cat flaps, and there are also three of those six feet high climbing posts for them to escape to when they need some time out from Luca.

I think the main thing I wanted to achieve was to get everyone working as a pack. If Luca ever gets too boistrous for the cats, he goes into some timeout or I redirect his attention to his favourite tennis ball or squeaky toy. He also reposnds really well to me saying 'gentle'. The cats actually do a great job of keeping him in line as well, and it took about 2 months or so for things to settle down. Now (almost two years later) they are all at the point of licking eachother's faces and sleeping together in the beanbag. They also eat together but I make sure that I always supervise meal times.

Lots of rewards for good behaviour and always make sure your cat has somewhere she can escape to.

Best of luck!

My dog Luca is a rottweiler x staffy. I rescued him when he was about six months old (he's turning two this year) and brought him home to live with three cats and eight chickens. I was really worried that bringing my first dog home would really disturb the peace around here, but with a bit of patience and planning everyone has really surprised me. I made sure Luca had a big walk before he came inside for the first time, and that the cats always had somewhere to go which was 'their' space. I built two outdoor cat runs that only they have access to via cat flaps, and there are also three of those six feet high climbing posts for them to escape to when they need some time out from Luca.

I think the main thing I wanted to achieve was to get everyone working as a pack. If Luca ever gets too boistrous for the cats, he goes into some timeout or I redirect his attention to his favourite tennis ball or squeaky toy. He also reposnds really well to me saying 'gentle'. The cats actually do a great job of keeping him in line as well, and it took about 2 months or so for things to settle down. Now (almost two years later) they are all at the point of licking eachother's faces and sleeping together in the beanbag. They also eat together but I make sure that I always supervise meal times.

Lots of rewards for good behaviour and always make sure your cat has somewhere she can escape to.

Best of luck!

I have a staffy, boxer, cat combo, no problems at all,I had another boxer when we bought the cat as a kitten then this boxer followed by our previous staffy and now our present staffyThe main thing is to supervise introductions and praise the dogs when they do the right thing and as advised previously good refuge places for the cat,as for meals its more likely the cat chasing the staffy off her food.

our family moved in with my nan and she has a jack russell x fox terrier and he used to chase cats out of the yard but when i bought the kitten home he melted and kisses her and my male cat :rofl: to be honest i think it depends on the dog itself.