Dog Killed The Guinea Pigs - Opinions, Advice, And Friendly Ears Neede

dastardlyboo

I will also take a video of what happens when I try to reprimand him, and he's either already been punished for that particular crime or didn't actually do it (Dan will sometimes just leave his stuff lying around, and the dog doesn't always get the benefit of the doubt...)

So what happens if Dan has left his stuff lying around and you don't try to reprimand him?

Nothing, the dog's happy, Dan's happy, the socks stay on the floor lol until a week later when Dan comes crying about having no socks...

ETA I could take a sock right now, throw it on the ground in front of the dog, and it's not like he'll get sad about it. Only time he might is if we start to play with him and get him riled up, well sometimes he looks for something to put in his mouth like a toy. Sometimes he sees the sock out of the corner of his eye and he'll go for it, and maybe touch it and then jump back because his brain has finally caught up. He'll look very cautious then and watch us to see what we're going to do.

Edited by jacqui835

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You dog may have just been playing with the guinea pigs. They could have just died of fright at being picked up by the dog.

Agree!

Guinea pigs like rabbits can die of fright...no physical harm needs to be inflicted and they can die. Dog has done nothing wrong IMO.

I don't think dogs understand 'naughty' like we do . They EXPECT something unpleasant when they see something they have done ( done with no pre-thought ,like " I know this is a BAAAAD thing, but I will do it anyway " - just "done", as there are no barriers AT THAT TIME to doing it ) .

I don't think dogs understand 'naughty' like we do . They EXPECT something unpleasant when they see something they have done ( done with no pre-thought ,like " I know this is a BAAAAD thing, but I will do it anyway " - just "done", as there are no barriers AT THAT TIME to doing it ) .

This is possibly true too, although, we have seen our dog like hesitate when he doesn't know anyone is watching. His favourite thing to be naughty with are Dan's gardening gloves. He will approach the basket, and then jump around like a wild brumby, then reach forward again and repeat. He'll do this for ages if he thinks no-one's watching - I think he enjoys the thrill and power rush of doing something/interacting with something he's not supposed to. Eventually, he'll either walk away 9/10 times, or he'll grab it and toss it immediately into the air and kind of run away from it. We've seen him do this a few times when he hasn't known we're there, and if we catch him he looks absolutely devastated.

Maybe read my other posts first. Sometimes I start to tell my dog off for something that I'm sure is his doing - ie, one of Dan's socks randomly lying in the middle of the loungeroom. Now Dan will also point at the dog and be like, it was him. So how do I tell? I ask the dog. And unlike Dan, he might be smart enough to be naughty when we're not around, but fortunately he's not yet capable of lying.

So what if Dan is lying and the dog is innocent? Do you get a different response from the dog?

We have to be a little bit careful when having this sort of discussion. We're talking about one dog, and we're talking about one person's interpretation, and we're talking about something that probably doesn't happen very often. So the probability of things occurring by chance or error alone are fairly high, but I'm still interested.

I will also take a video of what happens when I try to reprimand him, and he's either already been punished for that particular crime or didn't actually do it (Dan will sometimes just leave his stuff lying around, and the dog doesn't always get the benefit of the doubt...)

So what happens if Dan has left his stuff lying around and you don't try to reprimand him?

Nothing, the dog's happy, Dan's happy, the socks stay on the floor lol until a week later when Dan comes crying about having no socks...

ETA I could take a sock right now, throw it on the ground in front of the dog, and it's not like he'll get sad about it. Only time he might is if we start to play with him and get him riled up, well sometimes he looks for something to put in his mouth like a toy. Sometimes he sees the sock out of the corner of his eye and he'll go for it, and maybe touch it and then jump back because his brain has finally caught up. He'll look very cautious then and watch us to see what we're going to do.

Put a sock in the middle of the lounge room floor before you go to work. I'm interested to see what happens when you come home. Tossing a sock on the floor in front of him is an incomplete picture.

If he does or he doesn't do anything it won't prove anything, but I'd still be interested to see.

OT but why on earth doesnt he pick his bloody socks up? My husband would be mince meat if he left socks on the floor all week

Maybe read my other posts first. Sometimes I start to tell my dog off for something that I'm sure is his doing - ie, one of Dan's socks randomly lying in the middle of the loungeroom. Now Dan will also point at the dog and be like, it was him. So how do I tell? I ask the dog. And unlike Dan, he might be smart enough to be naughty when we're not around, but fortunately he's not yet capable of lying.

So what if Dan is lying and the dog is innocent? Do you get a different response from the dog?

We have to be a little bit careful when having this sort of discussion. We're talking about one dog, and we're talking about one person's interpretation, and we're talking about something that probably doesn't happen very often. So the probability of things occurring by chance or error alone are fairly high, but I'm still interested.

This is very true, and I certainly don't remember my dog before this one being the same, but he got much harsher punishments.

Fortunately Dan is a pretty shocking liar, and I believe the dog over him so it's never really been much of an issue.

If the dog is innocent, he just seems to behave like he thinks I'm angry at Dan or someone/something else, even if I'm staring directly at him. This was a dog though that I was with almost all the time until he was over 12 months old. He still comes everywhere with me -he was at the Clare horse races the other day lol and has stayed in many motels (some which don't even typically allow dogs but agreed to him over the phone because I think sometimes men just assume I'll own some tiny handbag type dog), and I think perhaps this has affected our relationship. We have a very close bond.

Put a sock in the middle of the lounge room floor before you go to work. I'm interested to see what happens when you come home. Tossing a sock on the floor in front of him is an incomplete picture.

If he does or he doesn't do anything it won't prove anything, but I'd still be interested to see.

Well that's exactly what Dan does. Dan takes his socks off sometimes whilst watching tv, and whilst he always moves his shoes, there are times when somehow, the sock is dropped in a random location or just even left next to the couch - so that will mean the sock is left there for at least 24 hours. If the dog is the culprit, he won't even come near the sock, he will be crouching in the doorway looking more ashamed of himself the closer I get to the sock. If he hasn't done it, he'll like walk right over the top of it and seemingly not even notice it.

I am going to try really hard to get a video of this for you guys, because I don't believe mine can be the only dog who does this and maybe when I show everyone, it might be easier to talk about.

I am sure that some dogs know what "naughty" behaviour is and choose to do it anyway- not to spite their owners, but because the naughty behaviour leads to something even more rewarding than the potential punishment.

A labrador I met once jumped up and grabbed a muffin out of a strangers hand. The dog knew that it was wrong to do this as it had been reprimanded before (obviously not strongly enough lol) but chose to do it anyway- it did not look one bit guilty upon receiving a smack and reprimand for this behaviour. If anything the dog looked positively gleeful- wagging tail, happy face etc it was clearly enjoying its prize!

With regard to the guinea pigs-

Very sad, but not really the dogs fault at all. If the dog had not been properly introduced and taught to to interact with or touch the guinea pigs then how was he to know what to do? Also, I would never leave the dog and the guinea pigs unsupervised together, which I guess the OP has learnt :eek:

I think some people have forgotten that dogs are dogs and are extremely capable of killing small (and larger!) animals.

OT but why on earth doesnt he pick his bloody socks up? My husband would be mince meat if he left socks on the floor all week

Lol because I do plenty of things that annoy him, such as leave bits of wrapping in places. When he loses it with me for leaving the museli bar wrapper or whatever on the kitchen bench, I lose it with him for leaving his dirty clothes in piles and well we seem to disagree on what makes a clean house (I hate dirty clothes and dirty dishes - good hygiene is what I want basically but I couldn't care less about a plastic bag on the floor) and he hates mess (so you can have dirty clothes stuffed into your cupboard stinking the place out so long as it's tidy :s)

I care a lot about the dog training etc so he defers completely to me on that, and he cares a lot about the garden so I defer completely to him on that - working so far and we're both happy. The rest of things well, I just yell at him about those when I feel like a good argument - releasing some tension etc, and he gets grumpy with me when his basic needs haven't been satisfied eg hungry sleepy etc - typical man really right?

typical man really right?

Does he get man flu?

Stupid question - ofcourse he does :eek:

Oh he has it right now, reckons he'll need tomorrow off work. Well we had the doctor actually do a house visit last night (because the other doctors were closed being a public holiday and Dan thought he was dying), turns out he has a common cold.

Well that's exactly what Dan does. Dan takes his socks off sometimes whilst watching tv, and whilst he always moves his shoes, there are times when somehow, the sock is dropped in a random location or just even left next to the couch - so that will mean the sock is left there for at least 24 hours. If the dog is the culprit, he won't even come near the sock, he will be crouching in the doorway looking more ashamed of himself the closer I get to the sock. If he hasn't done it, he'll like walk right over the top of it and seemingly not even notice it.

I am going to try really hard to get a video of this for you guys, because I don't believe mine can be the only dog who does this and maybe when I show everyone, it might be easier to talk about.

please do Jacqui :eek:

your dog is Poochie right?

Oh he has it right now, reckons he'll need tomorrow off work. Well we had the doctor actually do a house visit last night (because the other doctors were closed being a public holiday and Dan thought he was dying), turns out he has a common cold.

:eek::mad :D :):mad :D :( Oh dear god I feel your pain. Just make him some soup!

Then tell him to pick his bloody socks up and stop giving the dog a hard time, the grub

:eek::mad :D :):mad :D :( Oh dear god I feel your pain. Just make him some soup!

Then tell him to pick his bloody socks up and stop giving the dog a hard time, the grub

Omg this is it exactly - especially the part where the guy is like, oh I called for you - in the raspy, I'm dying voice. Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh :(

Omg this is it exactly - especially the part where the guy is like, oh I called for you - in the raspy, I'm dying voice. Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh :mad

Laura...Laura...

I showed that to my GP and he now plays it for every man who comes in with a cold.

OK resume normal broadcast. I think we've taken this wayyyy OT :eek: Apologies to the OP

Omg this is it exactly - especially the part where the guy is like, oh I called for you - in the raspy, I'm dying voice. Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh :mad

Laura...Laura...

I showed that to my GP and he now plays it for every man who comes in with a cold.

OK resume normal broadcast. I think we've taken this wayyyy OT :eek: Apologies to the OP

Apologies from me too and this will be the last I say of it, but you would love what just happened. So he was at his computer, sitting up at the table, and he suddenly goes in a tiny raspy voice (and this is a 6'3 big guy btw), lunch. I look at him, and he repeats, lunch. I say ok, so you're hungry, lets go get some lunch. He got up and has now collapsed on the floor on the dog.

When words aren't enough...

IMG_0417.JPG

Your poor dog just did what he's supposed to do, catch rodents. It's sad for your stepdaughter, but GPs are strange litttle rats as far as a dog is concerned. Your Stepdaughter needs to hear that you are upset with the situation, and very sad for her loss, but please don't let her or your partner blame the dog. Please don't let the Stepdaughter have any more GPs, it could happen again quite easily.

Whippet#1 caught a rat the other day, I would never consider disciplining him for it.

Omg this is it exactly - especially the part where the guy is like, oh I called for you - in the raspy, I'm dying voice. Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh :D

Laura...Laura...

"Poor little bunny" :mad