Aussie Agression

del29

Need more information. Have you contacted the breeder? Not something I would expect in an Aussie but there may be extenuating circumstances...can you elaborate please.

Does anyone have any dog aggression problem with their aussie,I have been doing some classic condioning I think it is working...? :eek:

I have got 4 Aussies here, one of whom was neglected and possibly abused as a puppy, and absolutely no aggression.

In what way is your dog aggresssive? I've got one that does a lot of barking when people come onto her turf, but she's not aggressive at all, just loud.

Do you mean aussie shep or aussie terrier?

All the aussie terrirers i've met are dog aggressive but then again ive only ever met 3.

Aussie sheps are generally not DA but I suppose if they have a bad experience they could become aggressive.

Mine became reactive towards other dogs if they got in her face, though it wasn't really what I would call full on aggression, though still stressful as the majority of dog owners expect all dogs to be tolerant and think its ok to let their dog get right up in another dogs face.

She was later diagnosed with a neurological condition which may have contributed to the problem because before that she was very friendly and tolerant with other dogs.

I recommend you see a professional. I would not hesitate to see a professional if my dog showed even the slightest tendency toward any sort of aggression.

My entire bitch does not tolerate young male dogs in her face. She reprimands them with a growl and a well-timed snap if they don't get it on the growl, but I don't consider that aggression, just a low tolerance for bad manners.

I can see that Tilly has a problem that is progressing. She was attacked by a Staffy that came out of nowhere at the age of 10 weeks, attacked by another Staffy at training when the stupid owner bought her dog up behind us to say hello when she knew her dog was NOT friendly, again by a dog of the same stupid family and even my terrier had a go at her a few days ago.

She is everyones friend until a dog has a go at her. A GSD had a go at a mock trial and for the rest of the night she told off any dog that came near her and spent the recall watching a dog behind her cause it was obviously scary. I have seen her become defensive if a dog barks at her...even in play, barking seems to make her really uneasy.

I guess I have failed to keep her safe and will need to be extra vigilant in the future to make sure it doesnt happen any more and hope to dog that it has not become a permanent problem.

This makes me wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Aussies make eye contact.....

Not sure what the circumstances are for you del29 and hope you can get it sorted.

All the aussie terrirers i've met are dog aggressive but then again ive only ever met 3.

Aussie sheps are generally not DA but I suppose if they have a bad experience they could become aggressive.

Mine became reactive towards other dogs if they got in her face, though it wasn't really what I would call full on aggression, though still stressful as the majority of dog owners expect all dogs to be tolerant and think its ok to let their dog get right up in another dogs face.

She was later diagnosed with a neurological condition which may have contributed to the problem because before that she was very friendly and tolerant with other dogs.

I recommend you see a professional. I would not hesitate to see a professional if my dog showed even the slightest tendency toward any sort of aggression.

Maybe you should meet some more (original) Aussies ie Terriers. They are terriers and won't back down if threatened but usually won't instigate. Mine happily play with other dogs, except my male doesn't like large, heavier type, hairy dogs as he was bear hugged by a Saint pup once and since then been put of by the general type of dog, he also hates other dogs barking at him. Couple of my dogs' best friends are Danes and they absolutely love each other. They can be excitable and are very protective though!

Edited by Austerra

My Aussie is sweet and submissive and although she sometimes gets overwhelmed by other dogs, she has never displayed aggression.

I would say that any dog has the potential to be dog aggressive really, for varying reasons. As others have said, I think you'll have to elaborate...

Does anyone have any dog aggression problem with their aussie,I have been doing some classic condioning I think it is working...? :thumbsup:

I have an aussie that is highly dog agressive, to the point that he has ripped a big hole in one of my other dogs :laugh: He is neutered and that made absolutely no difference. In researching his pedigree there is a history of dog aggression in some of his relatives :)

I manage him by keeping him seperate from the others when I am not there, and muzzling him when I let him with the others.

His aggression seems to be like something just clicks in his head and he goes into "kill" mode. The time he attacked and damaged my other dog, he was playing and something just "clicked" and he attacked...

Alot of people have told me I should put him down but I can't bring myself to do that, and have been managing the problem for the past 4 years.

Harley is also highly excitable, but he is great with people and has never shown any aggressive tendancies to people or I would probably have had him euthanased by now.

Most Aussies have great temperaments, but there are a few lines that do carry aggression which is unfortunate :thumbsup:

Good Luck

Karen

Maybe you should meet some more (original) Aussies ie Terriers. They are terriers and won't back down if threatened but usually won't instigate. Mine happily play with other dogs, except my male doesn't like large, heavier type, hairy dogs as he was bear hugged by a Saint pup once and since then been put of by the general type of dog, he also hates other dogs barking at him. Couple of my dogs' best friends are Danes and they absolutely love each other. They can be excitable and are very protective though!

I agree with Austerra,

You need to meet a few more well bred Aussie terriers...before claiming them to be DA. My dogs would most certainly not back down if they where threatened, but like Austerra said they normally would never instigate anthing either. My dogs will happily play with other dogs...& are even best friends with my BIL's Rotties. :)

Edited by Baileys mum