Does This Drawing Look Like A Gsd?

Dogsrawesome

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dogsrawesome - you have an amazing talent! I wish I could draw like that! The only thing I can draw is stick figures! lol - and funnily enough im quite good at drawing houses? LOL

If you go onto the thread 'black dogs bad luck' (or something - I cant even remember the name of my own thread!!! lol) there are pictures of max and jenna on there (purebred gsd) you can use them as a go-by for your drawings :rofl:

and if you do by any chance I would love to get a copy of the picture you take of the drawings!!

Love your drawings. I agree, maybe just the eye placement a little different, other than that it's coming along great!

You should post your drawing of a beautiful GSD Shaar :rofl:

Dogsrawesome - this might be a good site for you to have a read of

http://www.aboutgermanshepherddog.com/page.php?page_id=43

The stop is the sort of 'step' between the muzzle and head, inbetween the dogs eyes

Love your drawings. I agree, maybe just the eye placement a little different, other than that it's coming along great!

You should post your drawing of a beautiful GSD Shaar :rofl:

Dogsrawesome - this might be a good site for you to have a read of

http://www.aboutgermanshepherddog.com/page.php?page_id=43

The stop is the sort of 'step' between the muzzle and head, inbetween the dogs eyes

Thanks for the tip i will have a look tomorrow when im awake more :rofl:

ever used a grid :)

ontop of your photo, picture you are drawing of and on your paper very very lightly so you can do one square to exactly line up where goes wher it si very helpful when you ahvea small picture and large piece of paper ..

Grids are a great idea to get used to proportions.

I usually sketch out the basic shape very lightly and then work on the detail. Remember the light areas are just as important, if not more important than the dark areas. Even if a dog is black and tan, leaving some areas white helps show up the shadows and depth more.

I noticed in your other thread you got some feedback on light and dark which you have listened to and put to use in your new GSD pic. Can you see how your new one has so much more depth and feels more 'real'.

You certainly have the talent there dogsrawesome, keep at it!

Actually, I will include the pic I did for ish here because I can point out the things I don't like about it (which I'm hoping will help you).

I loved this picture when it was finished but after staring at it and staring at it there are quite a few things I would like to have changed.

The shading over the back half is far too dark, I did the front very textured and light, but the back half is just dark. Even though the back half of the dog is black, I should have included more light areas.

I also want to fly over with my pencils and just touch up that left eye just a little :)

post-33844-1304226600_thumb.jpg

One excellent practice method is to use a grid - but to turn the original upside down so you get used to drawing what you see instead of what you think you see.

That is a lovely picture Shaar. I think the back half of the dog being darker helps a little to draw the eye to the dog's face. The dog could be sitting in half shade, and that emphasises what is well-lit.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: Don't want to take over dogsrawesome's thread, just thought I'd post that to show what including white areas can do to add dimension, and how solid black parts look a bit flat.

I second the grid bit, I use grid system on any commissioned work and it is very handy when you cant seem to get an ear right ;) I only use it for the rough sketch though and then once i have the base lines done i transfer onto the final paper to be used and then all of it from there is purely reference photos supplied to work off, i tend to work off 3+ pictures to get details etc right :D

Your work so far is great and you have talent, I would love to see you work forward and read up on some tutorials to boost your potential :D

Please don't take my critisism the wrong way, I only hope I may point out some things which may in turn help you improve :love:

The picture doesn't look like a gsd to me, but is still very good, the perspective is off which in turn causes the proportion of the dogs head to be a little skewed, I would suggest reading on some perspective tutorials and also doing some skull/head studies from different positions and angles to help train your brain to notice and identify the differences in shapes when looked at a different angle. The mouth to me looks dislocated and does not look attached to the head causing it to look like an under-bite and appears to have the lower jaw connecting to the neck instead of the skull, the nose is also on a different perspective plane to the rest of the head causing the nose to look turned up while the head is turned down. The eyes are not aligned making them also appear very off while the ears are aligned but are also off due to the positioning. The shading is nice, but maybe a bit too harsh in the wrong areas, and not subtle enough in other areas. For example the point between the eyes looks like a lump instead of a balanced curved flow between the eyes while the nose appears curved upwards because the shading is too deep on the top of the nose making it appear shaded instead of coloured dark.

I still have trouble with perspective, which in turn causes my ability to properly identify animals positioning to become skewed, often this is noticeable in the way i favour particular positions over others which in turn causes static and boring positions or there are obvious (to me they are) flaws in eye position, size difference and other flaws. Its a HUGE learning experience and I can honestly say that with art you can never learn enough, I encourage ppl to critisize my work so i can be shown the flaws that i may miss and then work from them and improve them, you always learn new things, even now I am reading through many books on perpective, drawing, shapes, colour identification etc to improve my art. I dont think I will ever hit a point that I can say I am experience, or that I have learnt everything there is, or that i am a professional.. Hell even now I can't even say I am happy with any of my works, I look at them all months later and find things I really want to fix.. My OH says I am a perfectionist and also crazy.

my only biggest suggestion is to keep practicing and don't be afraid of making rough copies before a good copy, I can make up to 3 or more rough copies of a dog before finalising and transferring onto a good copy sheet and working on everything from there.

I don't really work with lead pencils with commissioned work, it is all mostly colour, but the same rules apply. Also a good thing i found when doing the good copy is to slowly apply layers, don't try to do it all at once. Instead put a very light layer each time and gradually work it up, applying the shadows where required and then working up.. I can have more than 15 layers of colour on the one picture with this method, but its helpful and very effective in ensuring you don't overdo areas. Its a good method in forcing yourself to sit back and look at the whole picture before going back in, it is also much easier to fix areas if you layer lightly as it is not pressed onto the paper and is easier to remove.

here is a picture i did a while ago of Chill with the layering method, you can see I gradually applied the layers over time, I think the final had well over 10 different colours in the coat alone along with 20 or so layers of building colour/shading up. I can see alot wrong with this pic now, but that's just me :thumbsup: I am my own worst critic lol!

first base layers on the neck

finishing the layers on the right neck

a few more layers on the neck

final layers

final pic with more layers added to the neck over time

I usually sketch out the basic shape very lightly and then work on the detail. Remember the light areas are just as important, if not more important than the dark areas. Even if a dog is black and tan, leaving some areas white helps show up the shadows and depth more.

I noticed in your other thread you got some feedback on light and dark which you have listened to and put to use in your new GSD pic. Can you see how your new one has so much more depth and feels more 'real'.

Actually, I will include the pic I did for ish here because I can point out the things I don't like about it (which I'm hoping will help you).

I loved this picture when it was finished but after staring at it and staring at it there are quite a few things I would like to have changed.

The shading over the back half is far too dark, I did the front very textured and light, but the back half is just dark. Even though the back half of the dog is black, I should have included more light areas.

I also want to fly over with my pencils and just touch up that left eye just a little :cheer:

That picture is AMAZING. I admire people with artistic talents, I so wish I could draw. My art teacher in high school took great pleasure in telling me I have no artistic ability :mad

Everyone has artistic talent Bow Wowy, the hard part is finding a style that works for you!

Case in point, Kylie, her drawings are amazing, anything I draw in colored pencils comes out completely wrong!

Please don't take my criticism the wrong way, I only hope I may point out some things which may in turn help you improve

I am very good at taking constructive critism so its okay :cheer: and i promise i will read through it thoroughly when i get a good nights sleep, spent the day showing cattle so im a bit tired. I know i really need to practise with perspective and proportions, last time i used a grid it didnt turn out as good but i might give it a go again :thumbsup:.

I don't really work with lead pencils with commissioned work, it is all mostly colour, but the same rules apply. Also a good thing i found when doing the good copy is to slowly apply layers, don't try to do it all at once. Instead put a very light layer each time and gradually work it up, applying the shadows where required and then working up.. I can have more than 15 layers of colour on the one picture with this method, but its helpful and very effective in ensuring you don't overdo areas. Its a good method in forcing yourself to sit back and look at the whole picture before going back in, it is also much easier to fix areas if you layer lightly as it is not pressed onto the paper and is easier to remove.

here is a picture i did a while ago of Chill with the layering method, you can see I gradually applied the layers over time, I think the final had well over 10 different colours in the coat alone along with 20 or so layers of building colour/shading up. I can see alot wrong with this pic now, but that's just me I am my own worst critic lol!

I have started working in layers for my latest drawings and im still getting the hang of it. I love your drawing ;) i want to eventually learn to draw in colour.

I also want to fly over with my pencils and just touch up that left eye just a little

Thanks ;), I love your drawing im so jealous :thumbsup:

Everyone has artistic talent Bow Wowy, the hard part is finding a style that works for you!

Case in point, Kylie, her drawings are amazing, anything I draw in colored pencils comes out completely wrong!

I agree with this, everyone has artistic talent. Your teacher should have never said this :) , my teacher always gave me constructive criticism to make my work better and i thank her for it.

I also want to fly over with my pencils and just touch up that left eye just a little :thumbsup:

Wow that is an amazing pic Shaar!

ETA= so is your pic kyliegirl!!!!

Edited by aussielover

"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is an excellent book you might want to borrow from the library. Can't remember who wrote it right now sorry (possibly a Betty someone?) but it's pretty famous, so you should be able to find it easily. :thumbsup:

"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is an excellent book you might want to borrow from the library. Can't remember who wrote it right now sorry (possibly a Betty someone?) but it's pretty famous, so you should be able to find it easily. :thumbsup:

I actually think ive seen it before in shops, might go see how much it is and then beg mum to buy it for me :thumbsup: