Pat Hastings

All good points, PF.

I am not interesting in the herding or working groups. My main loves are the smaller dogs. From the toy group in fact, but I have also looked into a couple of larger breeds from the non-sporting and the gundog group and even the Hounds. Edit - I think my main loves are the littlies though... I keep coming back to them.

Once a dog is here, it is a keeper. I have a dog right here now who I can do zilch competitive sport with (temp issues) that I still have a lot of fun training and do active things with. Ideally, I'd love to compete and I'd do it if I can, but I'm not going to run out and buy a dog for a job that may not even come to fruition!

The issue of structure and soundness has just really, really interested me and will be a factor in future choices for sure. But so will lifestyle factors and temperament.

Edit - so completely OT, apologies to the OP.

Edited by Henrietta

Does Pat have anything to say about the removal of front dewclaws and its effects on a dog's structure?

That's an interesting concept and not one I have or would have thought about. Is there anything anywhere to suggest front dewclaw removal does have an affect on the structure of dogs?

Does Pat have anything to say about the removal of front dewclaws and its effects on a dog's structure?

That's an interesting concept and not one I have or would have thought about. Is there anything anywhere to suggest front dewclaw removal does have an affect on the structure of dogs?

Yep. Christine Zink (as posted above) recommends against it for performance dogs.

Here's a link to an article by her on the subject

Thanks PF. Sorry - I'd missed your earlier post on this. Interesting.

My boy still has his front dew claws and I see them move as he flexes and stretches his toes. So I can see the truth in what Christine Zink suggests.

Obviously it's a bit late now, but can someone tell me where the Melbourne session was advertised - I would've loved to have gone. Will look at getting her book as well.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would let anyone who went to the sydney seminar know that Pat's pick boy and girl from the litter are in their first show this sat at Castle Hill :) There is even an outside chance that one of them will make gait on all four feet :rofl:

Hi guys,

Since she is not coming back, we may need all you guys to step up and take the place.....?? :) Interested in that other book - I already did buy one of hers and found it so interesting and educational.

I haven't bred a litter yet but it really makes me take notice of other puppies and older dogs for that matter - I think there is a lot of sense and merit in what she says.

Hi guys,

Since she is not coming back, we may need all you guys to step up and take the place.....?? :) Interested in that other book - I already did buy one of hers and found it so interesting and educational.

I haven't bred a litter yet but it really makes me take notice of other puppies and older dogs for that matter - I think there is a lot of sense and merit in what she says.

I have been spending soooo much more time looking at puppies and older dogs and just doing the three main lines. Its amazing how much more I can see after her seminar.

As an aside- if anyone uses her method on puppies I would be happy to be a scribe :) I am really interested to see more litters!