How Do 2 Golden Retrievers Get Along With Each Other?

goldee

My problem is the JRT will snap at the Goldens muzzle to show dominance, she will always stare Lexi down, if Im playing with Lexi with one of her toys (toys that Tess wont play with) Tess gets between Lexi and the toy and wont let her past. They always get fed separated and are supervised and I train them separately, but I dont know what to do about the snapping issue

There is a lot to be said for removing the dog from the situation when it behaves in a way you don't like. "Penning" it or somehow isolating it for at least 5 minutes as soon as it displays the unwanted behaviour. A stern 'no' and then no contact for a while every time should bring the desired result (depending on the dog and its tenacity - good luck with a JRT), they will eventually get the idea. Some trainers might say make sure the dog can see you with the other animal while it's being 'punished', but I think that is counterproductive.

Thanks for the advice, but it would take quite a lot to scare me off. Though I may be opinionated I find it surprising how people let their dogs walk all over them and their other animals. The human should always have the last say.

Edited by Cooper88

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. That is the reason we got a female instead of another male. Max CAN be quite dominant... however he is willing to admit defeat... but when it comes to his backyard... you better watch out... he 'beats the crap out of' Jenna... she isn't allowed up the stairs to the grassy part of the backyard unless she needs to go to the toilet.

And you allow this? :laugh:

I agree, poor Jenna! It is not Max's yard it is your yard and she should be able to happily and freely wander around it without fear of being beaten the crap out of! :)

I own 3 retrievers (Tollers not Goldens though) and they all get on fabulously. I have a desexed male, entire male and an entire bitch. My males never fought or even grumbled at each other in the 6 years they've been together even when both were entire. They recently had a scuffle over their breakfast of raw bones when my bitch was in season but all it took was for me to move towards them and they scatttered very quickly.

Gundogs are generally pretty happy and easily co-exist with other dogs and I personally would never have one dog again :)

Benson tries it on occasionally......he's the head honcho of the dogs but he understands and respects that I'm the head honcho of everything, and a quick fingerpoint and "ENOUGH!" from me, and he sighs, sags and all the oomph goes out of him.

My problem is the JRT will snap at the Goldens muzzle to show dominance, she will always stare Lexi down, if Im playing with Lexi with one of her toys (toys that Tess wont play with) Tess gets between Lexi and the toy and wont let her past. They always get fed separated and are supervised and I train them separately, but I dont know what to do about the snapping issue

As soon as you see it about to happen, remove the JRT firmly. Don't let it start.

Hi,

I am just wondering how two golden retreivers get along? I currently have a 13 month old female and am considering getting another one in 6 months (also female). I am hoping that getting another one, they will become friends and she will be less clingy to me. She loves other dogs and we have never seen her growl or snap or show her teeth in a nasty way.

Any insight in to having 2 goldens would be very much appreciated!

thanks.

With the fantastic temperaments that goldies have, I think they will be fine!!!!!! Male or female :laugh:

I have two goldens and they adore each other!

I actually have put in a lot of steps to separate them and make sure they can each function separately on their own but they just absolutely adore each other! They can share bones, eat dinner right next to each other, share toys etc. Everything they do feels like a team effort to score more food or toys. When one gets a toy the first thing they do is run to find the other one so they can start a game.

Bubby lets Bitty get away with anything and everything, although when Bubby does want something all Bitty needs is a glance from him and she will sit obediently and let him have his way. This happens about 3 times a yr but I have seen it happen! He is the ultimate leader of her imo! Lets her get away with murder but can call the shots easily if he has to.

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

I agree. That is the reason we got a female instead of another male. Max CAN be quite dominant... however he is willing to admit defeat... but when it comes to his backyard... you better watch out... he 'beats the crap out of' Jenna... she isn't allowed up the stairs to the grassy part of the backyard unless she needs to go to the toilet.

And you allow this? :laugh:

Haha :( Oh ffs.

No I don't 'allow' him to bully her. She absolutely LOVES it. she sneaks up when he isnt watching and then they do zoomies around the backyard for ages. Then she runs back down the stairs again and he waits for her... then she sneaks back up and they start wrestling again. She absolutely loves it.

Perhaps my post wasn't that clear... he leaves her alone when she needs to go to the toilet etc. the rest of the time while they're up there they are either waiting for the horse to walk past or playing.

I have two goldens and they adore each other!

I actually have put in a lot of steps to separate them and make sure they can each function separately on their own but they just absolutely adore each other! They can share bones, eat dinner right next to each other, share toys etc. Everything they do feels like a team effort to score more food or toys. When one gets a toy the first thing they do is run to find the other one so they can start a game.

Bubby lets Bitty get away with anything and everything, although when Bubby does want something all Bitty needs is a glance from him and she will sit obediently and let him have his way. This happens about 3 times a yr but I have seen it happen! He is the ultimate leader of her imo! Lets her get away with murder but can call the shots easily if he has to.

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

Oh I havent seen pics of Bub and little Bitty since she's grown!! They are soooooooooo gorgeous!!!!! :hug:

I want another goldie too. :( *stamps foot*

And you allow this? :(

Haha :hug: Oh ffs.

No I don't 'allow' him to bully her. She absolutely LOVES it. she sneaks up when he isnt watching and then they do zoomies around the backyard for ages. Then she runs back down the stairs again and he waits for her... then she sneaks back up and they start wrestling again. She absolutely loves it.

Perhaps my post wasn't that clear... he leaves her alone when she needs to go to the toilet etc. the rest of the time while they're up there they are either waiting for the horse to walk past or playing.

Nope it wasn't. Read the bits in bold above. No mention of play behaviour at all.

You painted a picture of a dog behaving territorially towards your other dog and denying her access to parts of your yard. Forgive me for not being a mind reader.

Oh I havent seen pics of Bub and little Bitty since she's grown!! They are soooooooooo gorgeous!!!!! :hug:

I want another goldie too. :( *stamps foot*

Oh you soooo should have another one Dee!!! You have a lovely home for one!!!! I honestly was sure that Bubby loved being an only dog and he did but he LOVES his Bitty even more!!!!

I want another goldie too. :clap: *stamps foot*

Oh you soooo should have another one Dee!!! You have a lovely home for one!!!! I honestly was sure that Bubby loved being an only dog and he did but he LOVES his Bitty even more!!!!

We have all the love in the world, but just not the room. :(

I'm looking further afield for a new house now so we can get a bigger yard... One day... :clap:

Oh I havent seen pics of Bub and little Bitty since she's grown!! They are soooooooooo gorgeous!!!!! :(

I want another goldie too. :clap: *stamps foot*

We have all the love in the world, but just not the room. :clap:

I'm looking further afield for a new house now so we can get a bigger yard... One day... :mad

OH has said that one day when we sort out our house and what we want to do with our lives, we may head down to the path of 4 goldens!

He kinda wents nuts after Bitty!!!! :hug:

And you allow this? :clap:

Haha :( Oh ffs.

Nope it wasn't. Read the bits in bold above. No mention of play behaviour at all.

You painted a picture of a dog behaving territorially towards your other dog and denying her access to parts of your yard. Forgive me for not being a mind reader.

Lol fair point fair point. I forgive you! :hug:

No, my post wasn't clear at all - I apologise!! But there is no way in hell I would let max treat her like that if she didn't enjoy it. He does try and steal her bones... he will actually go over to her, take her bone, walk a few steps and then drop it and walk on... if he can't have it - no one can...

But whenever I am around and I see this, I take it off them both.

No, my post wasn't clear at all - I apologise!! But there is no way in hell I would let max treat her like that if she didn't enjoy it. He does try and steal her bones... he will actually go over to her, take her bone, walk a few steps and then drop it and walk on... if he can't have it - no one can...

You'd be better off insisting he leaves her bones alone. I don't allow my dogs to monster each other for food and they know it.

You'd be better off insisting he leaves her bones alone. I don't allow my dogs to monster each other for food and they know it.

How do I that? Normally what i do is say 'Max' in my stern voice and he looks at me and then leaves Jenna alone... but sometimes he just doesn't listen. That's when I go over and try to intervene. Jenna doesn't like him stealing her bones either but she knows hes top dog and eventually (after a lot of baring her teeth but not making a noise) just lets him have it. Neither of them hurt each other to get it because jenna just ends of giving up.

I hate seeing Max take stuff of her because I think she is entitled to it as much as he is. ESPECIALLY if she got it first.

What would you suggest I do?

How do I that? Normally what i do is say 'Max' in my stern voice and he looks at me and then leaves Jenna alone... but sometimes he just doesn't listen. That's when I go over and try to intervene. Jenna doesn't like him stealing her bones either but she knows hes top dog and eventually (after a lot of baring her teeth but not making a noise) just lets him have it. Neither of them hurt each other to get it because jenna just ends of giving up.

I hate seeing Max take stuff of her because I think she is entitled to it as much as he is. ESPECIALLY if she got it first.

Feed treats in their crates. Or one inside and the other outside.

Don't give him a chance to take her treats away.

What do you do when he doesn't listen? Let him have his way?

If he doesn't listen.. you go over and make him go away.

Edited by CW EW

Feed treats in their crates. Or one inside and the other outside.

Don't give him a chance to take her treats away.

What do you do when he doesn't listen? Let him have his way?

If he doesn't listen.. you go over and make him go away.

Ok. Ill try that tonight. I only just recently got them crates and haven't started the crate training process yet so I will have to read some of K9 pro's training ideas and will incorporate that into it.

Thank you. :hug:

Set him up so that he can't ignore you. Feed him on a long line and call him off if he heads towards her bones.. and if he doesnt' come you reel him in - no need to jerk. just pull him quietly back to where he should be.

Or feed them in their crates as suggested.

Set him up so that he can't ignore you. Feed him on a long line and call him off if he heads towards her bones.. and if he doesnt' come you reel him in - no need to jerk. just pull him quietly back to where he should be.

Or feed them in their crates as suggested.

Alright, I'll try both. One of them has to work!

thank you guys. :hug:

Benson tries it on occasionally......he's the head honcho of the dogs but he understands and respects that I'm the head honcho of everything, and a quick fingerpoint and "ENOUGH!" from me, and he sighs, sags and all the oomph goes out of him.

As soon as you see it about to happen, remove the JRT firmly. Don't let it start.

Ever tried to catch a JRT that doesn't want to be caught? lol, not as easy as it sounds :hug:

Ever tried to catch a JRT that doesn't want to be caught? lol, not as easy as it sounds :hug:

doesn't your dog come to you when called? If it doesn't, you probably need to go back to basics and work on recall. And maybe make use of a long line.