My Staffy Is Still Jumping Fence

Shaybay

can they walk on chicken wire elevated??

?? Do you mean as flooring? They 'could' walk on it for short periods .. but if it was permanent, then their feet may get damaged . Toes can easily get stuck /claws rip out/pads get cut...

• 2 months later...

We had the same problem with our rotti when we first got her. She was an 18 month old pound rescue. Not aggressive, just wanted to visit all the neighbours while we were at work. We tried everything and eventually rang the rescue centre to see if they had advice. They did, and it worked!!! and it was cheap :-)

Firstly make sure there is nothing against the fence she can use to help her over, ie kennel, wheelbarrows etc etc. Next, and hopefully you have a timber fence you need to get some lengths of wood approx 1ft (30cm) long. Doesn't have to be heavy duty timber, garden stakes will do the job. Next get some wire, shade cloth, hessian etc. What you then do is attach the pieces of wood to the top of the fence pointing in towards the garden at an angle, a bit higher than horizontal. Then get the wire, whatever you have found and attach it across the wire. The effect you end up with is like a small ledge at the top of the fence. When she tries to jump she won't be able to get over as she can't go backwards to go up and around the covering. Does that make sense, hope I've explained it properly. You're basically putting a block to her being able to go straight up and over the fence cos she wont' be able to get around the ledge.

It fixed the problem for us and she never got out again.

Good luck

With a tight budget your best bet would be to hunt around for second hand materials to make a dog run.Does your council have recycle centre at the tip.Also some furniture factories throw out wood offcuts.Ebay or trading post are good for wire and tin.Try asking around,friends, neighbours, DOL'ers for unwanted items.And ask for help with building it if your not a handyman.Make sure the run is dig out proof as well.

You may need to spend a few $$$ more than you want but you have to buy or make a secure enclosure. It will still be cheaper than a court case if your dog attacks someone if it escapes.

Keep it inside and or crated until you get a secure run and toilet it on lead if necessary. It may be a hassle and time consuming but a far better option that PTS.

eta: this thread is a couple of months old - it would be nice to know the outcome..

Edited by Andisa

What about chicken wire attached to the top of the fence facing inwards? At a bit of an angle, similar to what you would do with cat mesh to keep cats in a yard but if you use something stronger... that might prevent her from climbing up and over the fence. If she is giving it a clear jump though then it may not work. That shouldn't cost too much to implement. If you can come up with something similar to this http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/all-about-cats/diy-cat-enclosure-and-fencing/cat-proof-fencing it might help

ETA Oops i didnt see how old this thread was either :o

Edited by Maxiewolf

I recently asked what I can do for this issue of my dog jumping over the 6ft wooden fence in our rental property, I dont want to have to put her down if she attacks a stranger if someone new moves into the house she is getting into.

I got told to use an electric fence and also some people told me they dont work,

if they do can anyone tell me where i can buy one from at a cheap price??

or any budget ideas that wont break the bank

she has gotten so bad that we cannot take her off the lead unless we are outside with her we are just lucky no one lives behind us atm.

thankyou :laugh:

In NSW its illegal to use an electric fence around dogs.

A dog run or a yoke.

Is it? Hell's Bells, I didn't know that! I've got electric stand offs around a perimeter spanning acres- keeps Horses off- dogs in.

Didn't even other reading the 2nd page. My sisters pure staffy jumped the fence and hung himself while she went to town :( Her elderly neighbours found him and they were soo upset too that they hadn't heard him, as they used to spoil him and look after him if she as away, they had taken himdown and had him in a hessian bag to take away for her, (god love 'em!). She had only recently started chaining him up as he had been caught jumping over their front fence. She had never seen him even jump onto his kennel but obviously that is what he had done. He was a beautiful dog, great with kids dogs and cats, so not sure why he started escaping? But so missed by 2 families.

Please if you are going to chain him up make sure there is no way he can get over any high fences etc to hang himself. Make sure it is safe area for him :) Otherwise i would most definitly recommend a fully enclosed cage is the way to go!!! There's no way to hurt themsleves or noone else. Youhave full control hopefully :)