Old Dogs Learn Easily Enough

RuralPug

A friend of mine in Canada posted this elsewhere and had us all ROFL. So, with her permission I am sharing with DOL...this is so funny because it is true!!!

Old dogs learn fine....it's the old owner who is struggling. It's been years since I did any clicker or target training with my dogs and I, foolishly, thought I'd get back into the swing of it with no problems. What I forgot is how much I forget. List of items needed: Target stick, clicker, treat bag, dog and some idea of why I want to do this.

So I pulled out all my old training equipment. Guess what? I can no longer manage a target stick AND a clicker AND a treat bag with any efficiency. So I bought a target stick with a clicker on it. Now I'm cooking. Then realized that I need to have the treats broken up in advance AND in my other hand. The secret to clicker training is to reward IMMEDIATELY after the click. I don't do anything immediately these days. There's the necessary cogitating on where I left whatever it is, then the fumbling around to get it out, etc, etc. You get the picture. And while all this fumbling around is going on, time is passing and the dog who has done exactly what I wanted them to is sitting there patiently wondering why this numbskull is juggling objects, patting her pockets frantically and saying things like "Just a minute, Lukie. I'm looking. I know I have a treat here somewhere". Usually at this point I also drop the clicker/target stick (either on the ground or as was the case this morning--on Luke's head which made him afraid of the target stick).

Poor old Tank picked up the target/click/treat idea quickly and just as quickly realized that he might as well lie down while the "trainer" fumbles around. God love Tank. He sussed out the fact that the trainer was a weak reed quickly. So he does what's asked, watches for the fumbling, then lies down and waits until Madame Demento Trainer has all her gear and then he gets back into position.....

Luke just looks increasingly worried. He knows that somehow all of this ends up with a treat. But he's decided that waiting for the treat is best done about 8 ft away from the "trainer" in case the old coot drops the target stick clicker on him again.....

The old dogs learn just fine. It's the old owner who is ready for a nap.

;) and old dogs do learn fine!

I taught my 12yr old CCR x BC boy to say 'please' with his paw, guess which hand the treat was in with placing his paw on the right hand & play dead after me saying 'bang bang' all within a week & using treats, although I'm still young :shrug: . He has now passed on but it just goes to show you can teach old dogs new tricks :o