Wearing Away Fur On Joints

Mim

Despite having many comfy beds to lie on, Sarge prefers to sleep on the floorboards with his head on a pillow. As a result he is rubbing away the fur on his elbows/ankles from the friction and pressure of being on the hard floor. His front legs each have a little bald patch where there was once fur and the skin looks dry there but nowhere else on his body. The back legs haven't lost lots of hair yet, just thinned out and sort of parted like I've taken a comb to it.

Any ideas how I can prevent further hair loss and help the hair regrow? I don't want him getting the rough callus that some dogs get.

Despite having many comfy beds to lie on, Sarge prefers to sleep on the floorboards with his head on a pillow. As a result he is rubbing away the fur on his elbows/ankles from the friction and pressure of being on the hard floor. His front legs each have a little bald patch where there was once fur and the skin looks dry there but nowhere else on his body. The back legs haven't lost lots of hair yet, just thinned out and sort of parted like I've taken a comb to it.

Any ideas how I can prevent further hair loss and help the hair regrow? I don't want him getting the rough callus that some dogs get.

I use Paw Paw ointment on my girls elbows to stop them getting rough. keeps the skin soft- no harm if she licks it either. Not sure anything will help with hair loss unless you can stop the rubbing

Hmm, yes I was thinking paw paw or something similar might be good. Don't think there's any way to stop him lying on the floors. When it gets cold enough he will start snuggling into a bed/on my bed and it should give the hair a chance to come back.

If only I could make him wear elbow pads :laugh: He'd have them off in a second.

Wool fat. You should be able to get it from any chemist. I have used it in the past of my old Dobermann and it worked really well. He had a decent sized callous on each elbow and the skin returned to normal and his fur grew back over it. :thumbsup:

ETA

The Dobe I used it on was named Sarge!

Edited by dobesrock

Wool fat. You should be able to get it from any chemist. I have used it in the past of my old Dobermann and it worked really well. He had a decent sized callous on each elbow and the skin returned to normal and his fur grew back over it. :thumbsup:

ETA

The Dobe I used it on was named Sarge!

Am-O-Lin baby "bum" cream. Has lanolin in it. Available from the supermarket. I used it on my previous Bull Terrier and am starting to use it on Pele :)

For those who have used wool fat/ lanolin on their dogs, are there any side effects should the dog decide to lick the product?

I never had any problems with my boy when we used it. He wasn't much of a licker but I did see him having a little lick immediately after it was put on him and never noticed any kind of reaction from it.

I bought some lanolin today, smells lovely, like shea butter. Only needs a tiny bit and he wasn't the least bit interested in licking it (and this is a dog who likes to lick things off himself). Should keep his skin nice and supple and callus free :D