Vent

So 2 weeks ago if that, my OH broke our venetian blind. I had continually told him not to pull them to open the windows, because its going to break. You can open the window by just slipping your hand through and sliding the window back. But he didnt listen and it broke, so now at the top its taped up with grey duct tape. I was annoyed becasue I had told him repeatedly not to pull them up. Fast forward to today. Im on computer, my 12 month olf bullmastiff chase is sleeping on his bed beside me, had been in for about half an hour. I just let my bullmastiff girl kijana in as she was barking at the neighbour. I return to my seat. Next thing OH arrives home after going for a bike ride and brings his bike up onto the patio against the window and kijana, goes off and runs to the window cos she can see "someone" through the window. In a split second,Chase flies of his bed to the window, about 3.5 -4 metres away and jumps up and bends/breaks some of the plastic venetian blind thingies. I am annoyed but no point carrying on, stomping around and sooking about it, its done, the dog doesnt understand it was just one of those things that unfortunately sometimes happen. He is a dog and shit happens. OH comes in and says "couldnt you have stopped him?" Um no, it happned so quick, he was on the bed and then gone in a flash. "What was he doing inside anyway, its a nice day outside, they should be outside". I wasnt aware that now they "arent allowed" inside during the day :noidea: Argument follows as apparently "i dont care about what the dogs do but he only has to do the smallest thing and gets in trouble. I went off at him when he broke the blind (which i didnt, i just did an i told you so spiel) but i dont care that the dog did it etc I tried to explain he is a dog and so stomping around and getting upset after the fact will prove pointless, what did he want me to do? Which then all turned into he resents the dogs because he has to miss out on doing stuff he wants to do because we have to buy dog food etc. Things are very tight at the moment, as I cant find work, and he is only working part time( hopefully up to full time soon).The dogs are going without at the moment except for food, which isnt anywhere near as good as what they used to get for the time being.He wants to go to some muay thai thing this weekend, but really we can not afford it. I have cut costs with the dogs big time, but apparently thats not enough, I shouldnt be feeding them either :rolleyes: I just wish he would accept the dogs are here always will be. We always fight about the dogs, Ive told him in the past it wont work between us if he cant accept them, because the dogs are a huge part of my life, aside from my family, they are all I have and all I want so they are not going anywhere, if anything I will end up with more in the future. Anyway, was I in the wrong about the whole blind thing? Its just really peed me off and I needed to vent. I know Im not the only one with an OH that doesnt like the dogs but my OH thinks Im delusional and Im so wrapped up in dogs that my sense of thinking is warped and Im the only one he knows that treats there dogs the way I do, which I guarantee you is not over the top. Not spoilt, ok maybe on occassion,but not as a regular occurrence. Im just sick of fighting for something I love so much and will never give up. Any suggestions?

Edited by Kaffy Magee

Well one thing I noted in here is that your OH seems to not understand that dogs are dogs and you can't treat them the same way as humans..... yet he proceeds to tell you that you should treat them like dogs.... :|

Basically, if you were to go up to your boy and say 'chase. I can't believe you did that. I want you to call someone to fix that right away ok? We are doing it really tough and you shouldn't be doing stupid s**t in the house because things get broken and then we can't fix it'... I mean HELLO?? What did you OH expect you to do? lol :laugh: As soon as chase had hit the blinds and broken them, if you weren't standing there ready to punish then he wouldn't know what the hell you were punsihing him for, therefore - no punishment.

Of course OH is going to get into trouble because it was his negligence that lead to breaking the blinds in the first place, whereas Chase was just being.. well... a dog.

Your OH can't expect you to get your dog in trouble because HE(oh) got in trouble. I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

I think you have every right to be a little miffed.

Also, what kind of work are you looking for? (OT)

I agree totally with Leelaa.

Dogs will be dogs. You told your OH multiple times not to open the window that way and he still did and they broke. Seems reasonable to me.

Not to pry but What sort of area you in? Near Brissie?? What sort of work do you do? I work in recruitment so may be able to help if we have something in your field :) Feel free to PM me if you wish.

To a point I understand your frustraion as my OH thinks I am rather delusional when it comes to the dogs as well. If he gets annoyed at me it quite often ends up being turned around to involve the dogs as he knows he can get a rise out of me when he can't while talking about the other thing (or arguing) He is also slowly figuring out that if he annoys me about the dogs too much I go and by something to really spoil them or something they don't really need.

He also cannot understand why the dogs need to be inside "all" the time and although I do have them in and out during the day, he will bring that into an argument to annoy me at times. Now I look at him walk out the door grabbing a lead on the way and go walk the dogs leaving the kids with him!

I can relate to that too KM and Oso.

KM - Does your OH not like the dogs at all? Or does he get some enjoyment from them? This type of issue comes up with my OH and me from time to time, but is softened by the fact that he does actually like them - as well as the fact that he cannot deny he knew what he was getting himself in for. When we moved in together I had 2 dogs who were mostly inside dogs - so he can never say he didn't know I was a crazy dog lady :laugh:

i hope i don't upset you but i just need to ask; how old is your OH!??!

um, could he be a tad jealous of the attention you give the dogs?

also, some peeps deflect adversity and become defensive so as to make it more about 'something else', rather than facing their own inadequacy...

i hope you both can rise above this and he gets over his petty insecurities [sorry :(]