Anyone Know Where I Can Find A Harness Like This?

fuzzy82

I would like it to be nylon, Y-front, d-ring on top and at the front, handle on top and I would like there to be room for an "in training" patch. Anyone know where I could find something like that? Or alternatively, a place that does custom harnesses?

http://www.blackdog.net.au/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Blackdog make harnesses with all different combinations.

And they might custom make one if you ask or can't find what you want in their product list already.

What you want might be a balance harness or a tracking harness or flyball harness maybe with some modification to get the handle where you want it.

PS messages are usually added by way of a dog coat type arrangement.

http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Dog-Harnesses/

I thought k9pro also had the dog coat with a message thing but I can't find it on their site. Their harnesses look a bit like the sort you hook a sled to not a training harness but I don't know what you want yours for so there's the link. You could probably get a message stitched onto a plain patch or dog coat quite easily by any company that does dress alterations or promotional wear.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Ruffwear web master harnesses are about the best harnesses I've come across. Doesn't cut into the fur, padding everywhere, y-front and a handle built into the top. Only thing it doesn't have is the d-ring at the front. Cheapest place you'll find it (including shipping) is Arcata Pet. http://www.arcatapet.com/

Thanks for that, will definitely check them out.

The closest I have found so far is kind of like the k9pro ones, this one: http://www.dtdogcollars.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DTHUNVPLUS

Except it's not a Y-front.

The ruffwear ones looks good too, so I will study them some more and see if they are suitable.

It's basically just a training/walking harness, he's reactive so I need a handle to grab him and restrain him as people walk past, and the d-ring at the front would be good to stop pulling (despite my best efforts he still lunges and sometimes runs to the end of the lead) and the Y-front is just because I don't like how the strap across the chest looks like it would restrict movement and be uncomfortable. The patch is just so parents don't send their kids over to pat him as we walk past.

I think the one Secret Kei linked for search and rescue looks close to what you want.

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

I use the sensible front attach harness to stop the pulling. There is a more "up market" version - that has wider straps and stronger attach points - but I've never had a problem with the sensible.

I can grab the strap that goes over the back of my dog if I want, but doing that can fire the "opposition reflex" in the dog, so the dog pulls harder towards what you are trying to stop them going for.

If you let the pivot action of the front attach point do its job, the dog ends up facing you instead of the object of its distraction.

You could maybe see if there is a way to fit a ring / attach point to the front of the harnesses you do like. If the dog is attached at the front and is still trying to pull, it's usually the bits near the shoulders and under the armpits that get a work out (rubbed), not the front of the chest.

I forgot to mention that there is another problem with the SAR one... the smallest size is 20'', and my puppy is 15'' (39 cm). So far it seems that the ruffwear harness is winning, just because they actually have one that is small enough....

I forgot to mention that there is another problem with the SAR one... the smallest size is 20'', and my puppy is 15'' (39 cm). So far it seems that the ruffwear harness is winning, just because they actually have one that is small enough....

Is your puppy likely to grow? How old is he/she? What breed?

I don't think you'll find a harness that is Y-front AND has a handle AND has patches AND has a d-ring at the front and back.

Which features are most important to you?

The ruffwear harnesses are quite good.Iif your dog is small you can lift them up with the handle, you could velcro on your own patches (or have it embroidered) too, it does not have a front d-ring though and won't give you much control for walking.

Clean Run have a cloud soft y-front harness - but no front d-ring and no handle.

The D&T harness is probably a better "working" and ID harness though.

He's a JRT x, and 9.5 months old, so not likely to grow much more.

I could compromise on the Y-front, I really like the SAR harness mentioned above, but it doesn't come in his size. I like the look of the ruffwear, but like you said it doesn't seem to give much control + it seems a bit much to attach 3 straps just to go for a walk, and might be overkill.

The most important features are the handle and the d-ring at the front, but must also have a d-ring on top. It has to be well made and comfortable (no thin straps) and have a strap that goes between the front legs.

I have considered making my own harness, or finding someone who does custom harnesses, just not sure how to go about it...

The doxlock ones look pretty good. I was going to say they don't have a strap between the front legs, but then I noticed that you can buy this separately. And they have his size. That's pretty cool:) I could always get the patch from somewhere else, while googling I have come across several places where they sell them, and I think someone mentioned I could just have them made here too.

Edited by fuzzy82

I could compromise on the Y-front, I really like the SAR harness mentioned above, but it doesn't come in his size. I like the look of the ruffwear, but like you said it doesn't seem to give much control + it seems a bit much to attach 3 straps just to go for a walk, and might be overkill.

The most important features are the handle and the d-ring at the front, but must also have a d-ring on top. It has to be well made and comfortable (no thin straps) and have a strap that goes between the front legs.

I have considered making my own harness, or finding someone who does custom harnesses, just not sure how to go about it...

You could always buy an XXS and have it taken in a few inches if need be.

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know where I can get a coat that will carry an 'in training' patch? Id prefer a bigger patch than is available with these harnesses

Just buy some velcro strip from spotlight, Big W, etc and attach that to a normal coat (you can get the self adhesive stuff or sew it on yourself). Patches you can buy seperately from K9 Pro and then just stick them on. Easy :)

Dunno what you mean about control, but I can tell you that you only need to buckle two straps around the midsection, not three :) I've found that particular handle on the Ruffwear very useful, especially when you need to help your dog up into a car etc, so it gives full body support when you pull on it.

Ive got a Ruffwear backpack, the pack is removable and I use the harness quite a bit, Im happy with it...in fact Miss Lexi might fashion her backpack at the Million Paws Walk tomorrow lol, she can carry my wallet and water bottle