Looking For A Suitable Breed...

Tay.

Yet another one of these threads, sorry! :o

I have a friend who is looking into getting a new dog.

What breeds tick these boxes?

-Small/Medium in size

-Minimal Grooming

-Easy to train/suitable for a less experienced trainer

-Healthy/'hardy'

-Will be living with a JRT

:)

I wouldn't consider dense double coats to be minimal grooming? But then again I have dogs who only require nail clipping and an easy quick bath occasionally.

My suggestions:

Smooth Fox Terrier

Tenterfield Terrier

Another JRT (I like the broken coat ones best :p )

Manchester Terrier (though probably more likely to have health problems because of the lower numbers, also might be a bit more of a challenge, also get cold easily)

All healthy (generally) hardy little dogs that are smart. I would suggest looking for temperament first (I'd suggest that for all dogs, but terriers slightly moreso ;) )

Edited by amypie

Depends on what they mean by minimal grooming?

If they mean low shedding and easy grooming then a whippet or JRT

If they don't care about shedding- a corgi

My nans JRT x Fox Terrier sheds bucket loads, im not sure which side he gets it from though :laugh:

Yep smooth coated terriers drop little spiky hairs everywhere :laugh: It isn't as bad if they are inside dogs I find (outside ones seem to grow a thicker coat) A rub down with a rubber brush or glove outside every couple of days gets most of it off the dog if you are bothered, it doesn't really bother me, they vacuum up easily. They've got nothing on Labrador hair! :laugh:

The rough coated ones don't shed as much but most of them need to be stripped or clipped, and brushed.

Yep smooth coated terriers drop little spiky hairs everywhere :laugh: It isn't as bad if they are inside dogs I find (outside ones seem to grow a thicker coat) A rub down with a rubber brush or glove outside every couple of days gets most of it off the dog if you are bothered, it doesn't really bother me, they vacuum up easily. They've got nothing on Labrador hair! :laugh:

The rough coated ones don't shed as much but most of them need to be stripped or clipped, and brushed.

I just dont wear black clothing hahaha or i end up white! :rofl:

When I think of "easy to train" dogs, terriers aren't the first group that comes to mind.

However, within the Group, I'd be looking at an Aussie or a Border Terrier as "easier".

Edited by poodlefan

No they're not the first group that comes to mind, but they are generally quite clever, easier to harness if you get a greedy one :laugh:

JRTs are a commons feature in movies and TV because of their trainability - really I just want a segue to share this video :laugh:

No they're not the first group that comes to mind, but they are generally quite clever, easier to harness if you get a greedy one :laugh:

JRTs are a commons feature in movies and TV because of their trainability - really I just want a segue to share this video :laugh:

My nan must have gotten a dud :laugh: he isnt easy to train at all :p

When I think of "easy to train" dogs, terriers aren't the first group that comes to mind.

However, within the Group, I'd be looking at an Aussie or a Border Terrier as "easier".

Yeah, I wouldn't consider terriers easy either. But they've already got a JRT so they'd be used to the personality I'm assuming.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D will be passing them on!