Chicken Wings

Couldn't get any chicken necks for my lab puppy today, so got chicken wings instead. I'm sure someone has told me they are okay but there is just more skin and meat than on a chicken neck that I thought I'd better check in here!

She was on Royal Canin and a chicken neck, and doing well. Then I couldn't get the RC anymore, so switched to Advanced...which she eats under sufferance. She is not an overweight or fat puppy at all.

Chicken wings are fine. Started my Labs on wings as soon as we got them home at 8 weeks.

Depending your Labs age, and as my breeder recommended, it might be a good idea to cut the wings into 3 pieces at their joints

which may prevent them choking on them if swallowed whole. Labs can be such gluttens !!

I alternate between necks, wings & whole frames which I cut up with a cleaver for our 9 week old but give whole to our 16 month old Lab boy.

supervise, supervise, supervise...

also, it's always a good idea for dogs [or cats] to have a 'handle', so i don't know whether cutting the wings into smaller pieces is the right thing to do --- JMHO :)

the other thing that i heard about and i've never had labs so i don't know whether it will help but if you present a wing or neck to the dog and as the dog puts it in its mouth, continue holding it [off to the side of the jaw] while the dog chews on it and perhaps use a cue word like 'chew' --- my girl bella [a JR/maltese] wolfs her food and that was how i got her to learn to chew [i still start her off but she quickly understands]...

i hope it goes well :)

part of my golden retreiver's diet list when he came home at 8 weeks old was chicken wings, I don't think that I cut them into two.

They are a frequent part of the diet around here and no complaints whatsoever, and no problem eating them. With four dogs they all just get their chicken wings put on top of their biscuits, not cut up. I say that I don't supervise but in fact I indirectly do as I'm in the same room as where they all eat their dinners.

My mum's cavalier though gulped one whole and had to pull it out so I would be a bit cautious around the smaller dogs but not a lab.

:o I would begin to think both necks and wings too small for a lab that age -(unless she is a very dainty,slow eater) and cutting them up is of not much use- no chewing needed..and more chance of gulping/choking !

Maybe even try a turkey wing ? no chance of swallowing it whole - a lot of chewing needed, and a meal in itself !

Our Koolie pups only get wings when they are babies .. very soon after that they get them frozen .. so they cannot gulp them - then they move onto lamb flap bits or beef bones/roo tail sections.

:o I would begin to think both necks and wings too small for a lab that age -(unless she is a very dainty,slow eater) and cutting them up is of not much use- no chewing needed..and more chance of gulping/choking !

Maybe even try a turkey wing ? no chance of swallowing it whole - a lot of chewing needed, and a meal in itself !

Our Koolie pups only get wings when they are babies .. very soon after that they get them frozen .. so they cannot gulp them - then they move onto lamb flap bits or beef bones/roo tail sections.

If you can get turkey wings, definitely give them a go. Ruby's first bone when I brought her home was a turkey wing- the 'drumstick' end if you know what I mean. She is 12 months old now and still gets them occasionally and loves them.

I got mine from the local supermarket- I think they're Ingham brand.

Chicken necks and wings can be a bit scary with Labs when they get older, or at least, with mine :laugh:

:o I would begin to think both necks and wings too small for a lab that age -(unless she is a very dainty,slow eater)

I feed chicken wings to my 60kg dane as he is a slow gentle eater. May very much depend on the dog.

I'd be more inclined to feed a chicken frame to a lab (even a 1/2 one)