Anal Glands

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. Wondering if someone can please help me. My 3 year old Male Maltese Shih-Tzu is having trouble with his anal glands. Yday was the 2nd time I went to the vet for a 'squeeze' of the glands and this time an injection too which my poor dog didn't like at all. The injection was to reduce the itchiness in his bottom and from it feeling uncomfortable. I took him back to the vet as he had been scooting his bottom on the concrete outside and also sniffing his bottom and his bottom usually looks pink but lately was brown and scabby looking.

The reason for my forum topic was to find out if anyone else is having troubles with this and there dog? Does anyone recommend me anything to his diet to make his stool 'harder' which will then from what I have read assist with his anal glands and hopefully not clog up again.. I read on the net to feed my dog pumpkin (boiled and mushed), carrot, add oats to his meal and possibly but not too sure about this one- add Metamucil(which adults use).

What do you all think?

Thanks heaps in advance and any suggestions / feedback will be greatly appreciated.

With thanks

Maltese Shih-Tzu Mummy :D

Edited by maltese11

Hey Maltese11 - My ridgy girl has always had an anal gland prob.....but only one!!!

When she was spayed, the vet cleaned it out completely and filled it with antibiotics hoping it may clear it up, but it didnt work :(

So instead I take her in to the vet every 3 months or so to have it emptied and checked....Strange that its only one side she has trouble with, but we live with it!

Ours get a varied diet, but I dont think theres anything that makes it better or worse!

Frenchies are known to have loose stools (something I didn't realise until I'd spoken to a couple of breeders) and that means that we are also at the vet having her anal glands done. Our vet recommended Metamucil too and we find that if we give a little bit morning and night it hardens everything up and we haven't had to go back for a 'squeeze' as often!

If you make sure you feed chicken necks a few times a week the stool will harden and they will expel their own anal glands when they poop. Pugs are a bugger too with anal glands...my first Pug bitch was one vet visit away from having hers taken out and I fed her chicken necks and chicken frames and she is now 8 and has never had the problem again. I am scadey cat with the frames and the Pugs so mine get chicken necks cut to bite size. Thier regular meals is chicken mince roughly minced so lots of bones and dry food mixed thru...then every second night they have a couple of chicken necks cut up and mixed thru.

You need to increase the amount of fibre in his diet (bone isn't much help by the way), learn to express them yourself, or have them done regularly by a vet or groomer.

How much exercise does your dog get and what is he fed now?

You need to increase the amount of fibre in his diet (bone isn't much help by the way), learn to express them yourself, or have them done regularly by a vet or groomer.

Calcium by the way hardens stools...fibre does not.

Anal sac issues are generally not a primary problem, but reflect another issue. Sometimes this is anatomical, sometimes dietary (due to size of the faeces or food allergy) and sometimes secondary to generalised skin allergies. Very generally, I'd try increased fibre and expression, flushing and antibiotic infusion under anaesthetic, then a hypoallergenic or novel protein diet trial if they did not resolve. It depends on whether the issue is just full anal sacs causing irritation or mild chronic inflammation or impaction of the sac as the treatment is different.

Fibre is added to increase faecal bulk so that there is increased pressure on the anal sacs, also associated with a modest increase in the effort required to pass faeces. Passing hard faeces (such as those with increased bone content) is not necessarily of benefit, and can often lead to constipation and even obstipation.

My Chinuanua Rascal just had surgery to fix up a abscess in his anal glands, This is his second time with his anal glands. Once all has settled down the vets want to remove his anal glands. My chihuahua Rascal is around 5-6 years old.

As Rappie says, its not hard stools that express the glands - its BIG ones. Fur and feather used to do the job but few dogs get that now. Pumpkin and pysillium are both useful.

The vet has showed me how to express it myself- but I'm chicken Sh*t and scared I am going to do something wrong and hurt the little fella.

Kebbel- Eagle Pack- Natural Dog food

MIXED WITH

Dog food- All Natural- 4legs (http://www.4legs.com.au/products/all_natural.php)

Or

Purina SUPERCOAT Classic Loaf with Chicken, Vegetables & Pasta

I don't really give him chicken necks- as I'm scared he is going to choke! I think I need to get over that and give him some I think.

As Rappie says, its not hard stools that express the glands - its BIG ones. Fur and feather used to do the job but few dogs get that now. Pumpkin and pysillium are both useful.

No, Rappie reccommended medical procedures as her first options...must have been a miracle at work then that my Pug bitch hasnt had another problem and none of my Pugs (10) need their anal glands expressed. Mine have always got plenty of fibre in the pasta, vegetables and supercoat that is added to their raw chicken mince.

The vet has showed me how to express it myself- but I'm chicken Sh*t and scared I am going to do something wrong and hurt the little fella.

Kebbel- Eagle Pack- Natural Dog food

MIXED WITH

Dog food- All Natural- 4legs (http://www.4legs.com.au/products/all_natural.php)

Or

Purina SUPERCOAT Classic Loaf with Chicken, Vegetables & Pasta

I don't really give him chicken necks- as I'm scared he is going to choke! I think I need to get over that and give him some I think.

That is why I cut the necks into bite size pieces so they can chew and swallow without choking. :D

I also feed 4 legs when woollies have them 2 pkts for $8.

Edited by Shazzapug

No, Rappie reccommended medical procedures as her first options...

Increased fibre was the first thing I listed, dietary management was another. Flushing under GA is only indicated in cases of infection, impaction or chronic inflammation. Management of chronic anal sac problems should involve identifying and treating underlying medical problems, hence the comments regarding a variety of causes and treatments.

must have been a miracle at work then that my Pug bitch hasnt had another problem and none of my Pugs (10) need their anal glands expressed.

No, you're just an owner of dogs that do not have chronic anal sac problems.

Edited by Rappie

Thanks PF. I've had two different vets advise Weetbix. I tried it for a couple of weeks and then stopped cos I wasn't really keen on feeding wheat/grain to a dog who's prone to the itchies.

I assume the pumpkin would need to be cooked (steamed?)..?

ETA I just remembered carrots are also high in fibre. I usually feed them raw, but I think I remember reading that they should be cooked/blended into a pulp to be most effective. Is that right?

Sorry for highjacking your thread maltese11!

Edited by gila

Thanks PF. I've had two different vets advise Weetbix. I tried it for a couple of weeks and then stopped cos I wasn't really keen on feeding wheat/grain to a dog who's prone to the itchies.

I assume the pumpkin would need to be cooked (steamed?)..?

ETA I just remembered carrots are also high in fibre. I usually feed them raw, but I think I remember reading that they should be cooked/blended into a pulp to be most effective. Is that right?

Sorry for highjacking your thread maltese11!

I prefer dry baking.. the dogs love it!!